Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

PF where are you flying to?

Savanah, GA… meeting family at Hilton Head Island for the week.  We beach and golf, vacation before ski season.  Last time I can leave VT until like late April, lol.

Of that, I’m most excited to watch a couple Sox games with my father, it’s been a while.  Will be nice not to have to text back and forth the whole game. Couple big games coming up!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Savanah, GA… meeting family at Hilton Head Island for the week.  We beach and golf, vacation before ski season.  Last time I can leave VT until like late April, lol.

I’m most excited to watch a couple Sox games with my father, it’s been a while.  Will be nice not to have to text back and forth the whole game.

Nice. Sweet area too. 

• Like 3

Today is the first day of autumn...

It may not last the duration, and probably can't with the new climate paradigm no one admits exists of wild extreme autumns ranging from snow chances to 79er air masses. But somewhere in that din of hysteria weather types, ..there necessarily are days like today to symbolize the change  :arrowhead:.

It's interesting that with hydrostatic heights down beneath 570 dam, and 900 mb tempertures of 0C over ALB/Logan overnight tonight, we may not frost because of one synoptic metric: wind.  

DPs are 34 to 40 in the area ...so, that's not helping.  I mean if this were a 24 F DP air mass the radiative potential might force decoupling ( cold accumulation) and lift the wind up ...blah blah there you go. But with 15 to 20 mph sustained middle BL flow, and DPs staying in the mid 30s ... probably is 39 F type low for most.  Guess we can't rule out a valley collecting enough chill and calming out for a couple hours, duh. But by and large, we nearly miss a more widespread lawn glower dawn tomorrow morning it would seem.

23 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Anything interesting in sight ?

Interesting for climate implication seeking-nerds and scientists ( which can be mutually exclusive characterizations ), perhaps.

For weather and/or natural phenomenon -related drama junkies?  no so much.  

wandering thought:    Which, part of that psycho-babble form of angst is withdraw syndrome from lacking 'event exposure' too.  I mean, modernity "cinemizes" everything now. I mean if there's nothing going on, CNN almost stops shy of "Onionizing" their delivery clawing and scraping for reasons to headline. 

Which doesn't help.  Meanwhile, the events themselves also have been more extreme, with enough increased frequency in recent decade(s) that everyone now thinks that Category 5 blizzards of 9 on the Richter scale earthquaking Carrington Event Super Volcano deep field celestial death life sterilizing CRB radiation blasts better be part of the daily sitcom or we start rattling our cages ... Lol..  in that sense there's not much scheduled to be on T.V. for the next week, no. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Of that, I’m most excited to watch a couple Sox games with my father, it’s been a while.  Will be nice not to have to text back and forth the whole game. Couple big games coming up!

Very nice. Hilton Head is a beautiful little area.  Coligney beach park is really nice and Sea Pines has a beautiful golf course and beautiful housing to stay at.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That’s nothing.  Mount Mansfield’s record late freeze was October 6th, 2011 (65-year dataset)…. this morning it’s 34F.

Almost two full weeks past the 65 year record latest freeze and we might hit it in the next 24 hours.  Normal is over a month ago on Sept 17.  In 2017 the first freeze was over 6 weeks ago on 9/1 :lol:.  Even the Associate Press picked up that record.

https://apnews.com/article/vermont-weather-881cdfa5bb323173360662d3f1f7a8cf

Temp was 37 at 11 last evening with light wind, usually a gimme for frost/freeze, but clouds were edging in.  Same 37 at 7 this morning.  Maybe tomorrow morning or day after?  If not, we wait into next week.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

41 with upslope-vibe showers out there. A little colder and it could be wet snow.

Some blue up on the peaks behind you on the radar.  Must be your neighbor at 1625ft there.

Surprised you aren’t hiking up there!  I’d be camped out up high today if not looking at palm trees now :lol:.

D222BC1E-2252-4656-9246-ED811D15D755.jpeg.53227dbe06ec6ad5769dc916280fd5fe.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That would be a pretty miserable hike at the start at least. Haha

Soaked and cold. 

Been there many times, not sure the kids would enjoy it though lol.  To find a snow level you’re always starting in some ugly weather.  Like an elevation snow event early season with the parking lot filled with skiers, all realizing the first 1,000ft is going to suck to hike up :lol:.

• Like 1