Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Feels like some people are still in denial that the climate has rapidly changed. 

No.  Most of us understand what’s happening.  But the idea that 60 years ago these patterns didn’t exist is silly. A lot of Octobers of recent decades have had their share of cold.  But I also lived through torch Octobers as a child >65 years ago.  One year I remember playing touch football in the street on Columbus Day (which at that time was always 10/12) with temperatures >80.   BOS climo really hasn’t changed in the climo normals in the past 60 years.  But the number of warm records seems to far exceed cold records.  That’s probably a better sign than an anomalous ridge in October which is causing cold somewhere on the trof side of things.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

No.  Most of us understand what’s happening.  But the idea that 60 years ago these patterns didn’t exist is silly. A lot of Octobers of recent decades have had their share of cold.  But I also lived through torch Octobers as a child >65 years ago.  One year I remember playing touch football in the street on Columbus Day (which at that time was always 10/12) with temperatures >80.   BOS climo really hasn’t changed in the climo normals in the past 60 years.  But the number of warm records seems to far exceed cold records.  That’s probably a better sign than an anomalous ridge in October which is causing cold somewhere on the trof side of things.

They’ve had some ridiculously cold snows out west in the trough.  I saw Park City, Utah had like 5-8” of dry snow in the 20s at 6,000-7,000ft with lows near 10F a couple days ago.  The higher ski areas had like two feet of blower mid-winter snow in the teens.

Theres definitely a ying to our yang out there.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Nice day today-feels crisp.  Days of de-skunking continue.

What you using? When mine got skunked I mixed dawn, peroxide and baking soda, worked real well, then I used douche to get around her eyes and face since she got sprayed in the face. House still smelled for awhile but its wasn't too bad.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

They’ve had some ridiculously cold snows out west in the trough.  I saw Park City, Utah had like 5-8” of dry snow in the 20s at 6,000-7,000ft with lows near 10F a couple days ago.  The higher ski areas had like two feet of blower mid-winter snow in the teens.

Theres definitely a ying to our yang out there.

Yep. Important to keep perspective.

It's almost comical how y'all seemed to evade the main central thesis of jbenedet's post, focusing instead on subsidiary aspect of growing season.

He didn't make it any easier by choosing to engage therein ...  but, the interesting and overwhelmingly more meaningful aspect he's brought to light, regarding the transition season -NAO increased tendencies, really 'should be' the focus there.  

Which, by the way ... I have been hammering that observation for 5 years now myself - just sayn'.

I think it has to do with subtle velocity surpluses with early and later jet materialization around the hemisphere - associate with Scott's favorite topic, Hadley Cell expansion.  Because the amorphous/gradient rich boundary where that aspect of the greater Walker circulation terminates into the westerlies, is pushing N, it is causing these earlier/later R-wave responses.    It's probably not a coincidence that the HC expansion, that is being quotable around the ambit of greater sciences, is routinely noting that the HC-e is more evidenced in the transition seasons - I suspect it is a matter of time before that link is made between it, and these unusual early(late) shared polar domain spaces like the lower WPO-EPO-NAO axis. This doesn't effect the AO directly - most likely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

What you using? When mine got skunked I mixed dawn, peroxide and baking soda, worked real well, then I used douche to get around her eyes and face since she got sprayed in the face. House still smelled for awhile but its wasn't too bad.

Same.   She had the skunk in her mouth so she got a huge dose.   Fortunately the spray was below her nose and eyes given she had the skunk in her mouth holding it upright.   As soon as the spray came out she dropped it and the skunk ran away but oh man what a disaster trying to replenish peroxide supply in the middle of the night.   We’ve isolated the smell now to her neck and throat which makes sense given how she was holding the skunk.   Today it’s much better but not gone.   She stays downstairs-rarely climbs the stairs these days so bedrooms are ok.  

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

39F at the picnic tables, wind chill upper 20s.

First time all season feeling “cold”… fingers are freezing.  Time for hat and gloves.

If I could get a shower to roll through it would have to be close to frozen with evap cooling.  Feels like a graupel atmosphere.

395B20BB-831C-4FEF-8A91-5C8C18D4B91E.thumb.jpeg.9fd1655074f1b7f9989597a681087023.jpeg

1809AD3E-0825-4A73-B497-A44D9C4DED16.thumb.jpeg.f97e9c54ac730d6e066a91a5e2eb971a.jpeg

Might be time to take a weekend and go up, last time I went in October the top half of the mountain was white.

5 hours ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Many will probably see their first freeze date occur in the upper 15th percentile (later than normal). Growing season continues.

Farmington co-op's latest date for 1st frost is the 290th day of the year, POR back thru 1893.  Today is #290 and we're still counting.

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide. 1 capfull of Dawn, 5 gallons hot water. Vigorous mix. Soap up the pup until it bubbles, rinse bubbles off. Throw away the drying towels

Yeah did that 4 time’s although we washed and dried the towels.  Blow dried the last 2 times and it seems we’ve gotten it to manageable. You don’t have your eyes burn when you come within 10 feet anymore.   Such bad luck but our dog is a trooper.  Tolerated the treatment while clearly not enjoying it. 

Felt like autumn today finally!

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Yeah did that 4 time’s and it seems we’ve gotten it to manageable. You don’t have your eyes burn when you come within 10 feet anymore.   Such bad luck but our dog is a trooper.  Tolerated the treatment while clearly not enjoying it. 

The worst is the dog looking at you like “I’m sorry, I don’t know what happened” while you bath them gagging at the smell.  My dog was throwing up and wretching the time she got sprayed in the face because the smell was too much.  Those skunks have an effective defense system.

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah did that 4 time’s although we washed and dried the towels.  Blow dried the last 2 times and it seems we’ve gotten it to manageable. You don’t have your eyes burn when you come within 10 feet anymore.   Such bad luck but our dog is a trooper.  Tolerated the treatment while clearly not enjoying it. 

Must have soaked in to his skin. We have never had to do it more than once on a dog. Luckily now we fenced.

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Must have soaked in to his skin. We have never had to do it more than once on a dog. Luckily now we fenced.

I think because of all of her hair (golden retriever) it is just coming out as we brush.  Anyway it’s ok now so the faint sometimes odor can be managed.  We walk her late night without a leash.  I gave the signal to cross the street and as soon as she got across she was face to face.  So her instincts took over and by the time I’m realizing what’s happening I see the skunk in her mouth dangling thankfully upright.  Once the spray came she dropped it and we got home to begin the cleanup.  Didn’t have H2O2 or baking soda so I had to find someplace open.   Ended up at a CVS on Boylston St in the back bay.  She stayed outdoors until we got her reasonably cleaned.  Then I bought an anti skunk shampoo yesterday and shampooed outdoors.  Then the vinegar treatment.  Then  2 more H2O2 and another one today.  We’re thankful her eyes escaped.  Had to get a mew collar-old leash and collar discarded.  We always had a backup leash.  What a weekend!

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think because of all of her hair (golden retriever) it is just coming out as we brush.  Anyway it’s ok now so the faint sometimes odor can be managed.  We walk her late night without a leash.  I gave the signal to cross the street and as soon as she got across she was face to face.  So her instincts took over and by the time I’m realizing what’s happening I see the skunk in her mouth dangling thankfully upright.  Once the spray came she dropped it and we got home to begin the cleanup.  Didn’t have H2O2 or baking soda so I had to find someplace open.   Ended up at a CVS on Boylston St in the back bay.  She stayed outdoors until we got her reasonably cleaned.  Then I bought an anti skunk shampoo yesterday and shampooed outdoors.  Then the vinegar treatment.  Then  2 more H2O2 and another one today.  We’re thankful her eyes escaped.  Had to get a mew collar-old leash and collar discarded.  We always had a backup leash.  What a weekend!

Lucky you didn't catch any of the spray, I almost did trying to get my dog away from the skunk. BTW good Pat's game or should I say interesting game?