Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Very soggy out there.  Stratus looked around .90” so far.  Raining pretty hard.

Hiking trails going to be all mud and leaves tomorrow.

35A736FA-F665-4900-9E36-EBA27745CE2D.gif.ef4540859cfd29ffc906aadb7b4b4a1b.gif

This stuff is moving slowly. Spent most of the afternoon/evening in St J (aka St Johnsbury, NEK, not far from my house) and it’s been raining there for several hours. Got to my house and it’s pouring now, but hasn’t been raining for very long. 0.81 for the day (but 0.57 of that was early this morning)

I really wish we could shake these deeply -NAO patterns that seemingly setup like clock-work every 2nd half Oct and April, and vanish in the heart of winter. This week we start paying for it. It makes things more northern UK-ish weather-wise and prolongs the cold season/reduces the growing season. I hope it’s more bad luck than a climo shifting phenomenon, but it’s one reason -among many others—making me want to move much further south. 

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Very soggy out there.  Stratus looked around .90” so far.  Raining pretty hard.

Hiking trails going to be all mud and leaves tomorrow.

35A736FA-F665-4900-9E36-EBA27745CE2D.gif.ef4540859cfd29ffc906aadb7b4b4a1b.gif

Looks like the Alien motherships were over Buffalo and Ottawa last night.

9 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I really wish we could shake these deeply -NAO patterns that seemingly setup like clock-work every 2nd half Oct and April, and vanish in the heart of winter. This week we start paying for it. It makes things more northern UK-ish weather-wise and prolongs the cold season/reduces the growing season. I hope it’s more bad luck than a climo shifting phenomenon, but it’s one reason -among many others—making me want to move much further south. 

When has that happened? LOL.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

When has that happened? LOL.

I’ll simplify it for you. The “cold patterns” have been very poorly timed for snow-lovers and warm weather lovers alike.

Poorly timed “cold patterns” which increasingly appears a regularity in early to mid spring and early to mid fall. I could grow from mid April to mid November if not for these one-to 2 day rogue frosts/freezes. Instead we’ll get frost and freeze in late oct and 55 on Christmas. Morch and Napril? Sound familiar? 

3 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’ll simplify it for you. The “cold patterns” have been very poorly timed for snow-lovers and warm weather lovers alike.

Poorly timed “cold patterns” which increasingly appears a regularity in early to mid spring and early to mid fall. I could grow from mid April to mid November if not for these one-to 2 day rogue frosts/freezes. Instead we’ll get frost and freeze in late oct and 55 on Christmas. Morch and Napril? Sound familiar? 

I don’t recall any late frosts in the Spring? I mean they happen, but we’ve been having some mild springs. May 2020 I guess would be one? But overall it’s been mild. Falls have been mild. 

3 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

There is no cold pattern coming . It’s an overall AN pattern right thru Helloween  Maybe 1-2 days come in BN. Very low chance of any frosts or freeze thru month end. And it looks mainly sunny any dry 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

There is no cold pattern coming . It’s an overall AN pattern right thru Helloween  Maybe 1-2 days come in BN. Very low chance of any frosts or freeze thru month end. And it looks mainly sunny any dry 

They’ll be a chance in normal valleys probably next  couple of nights and then maybe more widespread next weekend.....but urban areas will be above 32.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

They’ll be a chance in normal valleys probably next  couple of nights and then maybe more widespread next weekend.....but urban areas will be above 32.

Maple Hollow and Spanker49 in the Southbury Valley will frost , but the vast majority will not. I don’t see a cold, BN pattern showing up anywhere 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t recall any late frosts in the Spring? I mean they happen, but we’ve been having some mild springs. May 2020 I guess would be one? But overall it’s been mild. Falls have been mild. 

Yes. Of course in general, mild. I’m not saying that. 

This year we got slammed April 15-25th time frame. One day in there topped in mid 30’s. It was brutal. I remember bc I was putting some of my seedlings into the ground. Last year most of northern New England lost their flowers/crops in late September/very early October due to sig cold pattern that then disappeared through year end. 

• Like 1

Just now, jbenedet said:

This year we got slammed April 15-25th time frame. One day in there topped in mid 30’s. It was brutal. I remember bc I was putting some of my seedlings into the ground. Last year most of northern New England lost their flowers/crops in late September/very early October due to sig cold pattern that then disappeared through year end. 

That’s on you if you’re planting seedlings into the ground without cold protection in NH in mid to late April. You probably would’ve really hated living here in the 60s, 70s, and 80s when we were getting frosts at CON at the end of August and the middle of June with 30s sprinkled through July. 

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

I think 4/15 is early anyways. I mean anything garden related I wait until May. Also depending where in NNE, isn’t that climo for end of growing season? Not trying to bust balls, just saying.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think 4/15 is early anyways. I mean anything garden related I wait until May. Also depending where in NNE, isn’t that climo for end of growing season? Not trying to bust balls, just saying.

4/15 is when the window opens for it. But I’m not feeling confident and acting on it until after the 25th.

Where I’m at, it isn’t early *unless* you get the very poorly timed sig cold weather pattern. We have also talked at great length about the ++ temp anomalies being greatest at night. I’m seeing this here, throughout the year...

Basically, all I’m trying to say is we have seen things mild up but it has NOT translated to longer growing season. WHY?

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That’s on you if you’re planting seedlings into the ground without cold protection in NH in mid to late April. You probably would’ve really hated living here in the 60s, 70s, and 80s when we were getting frosts at CON at the end of August and the middle of June with 30s sprinkled through July. 

No kidding. It’s not the 60’s - 80’s. I’m talking about today.