Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not sure I understand the idea of being a weather weenie on a weather forum when your ideal is 73 and sunny most days of the year, but OK. That is literally a complete lack of weather…

Kind of like having thousands of posts on a motorcycle forum when you despise the things. Just torture. 

You can enjoy the motorcycle, but never ride/drive one.

Same with weather.

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Todays another great beach day and I bet we hit 80 again here.  The sound is still around 70 here and I just walked my dog by the beach and people were in the water. You notice the insane amount of baby crabs everywhere?

Tons of stuff moving around the tidal pools. Kids had a blast, waist deep in the water, felt like August with the warm sun. We tried Walnut beach for the first time, great town beach. 78⁰ currently here in Southbury

The older we get the more patient we are I think.  I am enjoying the extended season of being outside in a t-shirt.  Leaves peaking now up here and I'd enjoy another week of 60s.  On the other hand, we need a hard frost to kill some things and sweeten up my kale and carrots and brussels.

Apologies for jinxing, but I kinda think when winter does come it might feature some real cold and a good amount of snow.  The pattern should change just at the right time:  November.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Today's weather is what I'd like year round.  Toss in some warmer days, toss in a few colder days, but by-in-large, this month can't be beat in my mind.

Had breakfast at the local cafe this morning, everyone was seated outside in short sleeves. That definitely gets no complaints from me on October 15th. Let the torch roll on.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not sure I understand the idea of being a weather weenie on a weather forum when your ideal is 73 and sunny most days of the year, but OK. That is literally a complete lack of weather…

Kind of like having thousands of posts on a motorcycle forum when you despise the things. Just torture. 

I grew up loving extreme weather, but as I add other hobbies to my interests the extremes conflict with them. So I’m turning into a bit of a bitch like Epstein. Chickens and plants don’t like too much of anything. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I grew up loving extreme weather, but as I add other hobbies to my interests the extremes conflict with them. So I’m turning into a bit of a bitch like Epstein. Chickens and plants don’t like too much of anything. 

As I got older I realized I don't want my property damaged and I don't need anymore injuries in life.   ie slipping on ice etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

As I got older I realized I don't want my property damaged and I don't need anymore injuries in life.   ie slipping on ice etc.

Winter is grueling up here too. I get wedged in most warmups while some of you guys in SNE get brief breaks and melt and rebuild. 

it’s just a long period of cold, wet, darkness. I think I’d off myself if we ever had another little ice age. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

The older we get the more patient we are I think.  I am enjoying the extended season of being outside in a t-shirt.  Leaves peaking now up here and I'd enjoy another week of 60s.  On the other hand, we need a hard frost to kill some things and sweeten up my kale and carrots and brussels.

Patience is probably it to be honest.  I feel like a decade ago I/we as a forum had legit winter anxiety.  Like what if it’s not a banner year?!  Wasted part of our lives!

Now it’s like “it’ll snow, it’ll be winter, just let it happen. If it isn’t a banner year it’ll just try again next year.”

The level of “high-strung” over winter that used to happen in here as a whole has really mellowed out over the past 5-10 years.  Maturity? Ha, can’t be that.  Has to be patience.

Maybe if we were banished back to a warmer winter climate we’d regain that again.  We’ve been spoiled on the whole for 15 years relative to climate in many areas too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Patience is probably it to be honest.  I feel like a decade ago I/we as a forum had legit winter anxiety.  Like what if it’s not a banner year?!  Wasted part of our lives!

Now it’s like “it’ll snow, it’ll be winter, just let it happen. If it isn’t a banner year it’ll just try again next year.”

The level of “high-strung” over winter that used to happen in here as a whole has really mellowed out over the past 5-10 years.  Maturity? Ha, can’t be that.  Has to be patience.

Maybe if we were banished back to a warmer winter climate we’d regain that again.  We’ve been spoiled on the whole for 15 years relative to climate in many areas too.

the serenity prayer is really helpful to the young and the anxious.   "...the wisdom to know the difference."  Sometimes patience reflects, or brings, wisdom.

Glad I was able to move to get the weather I wanted. I spent a lot of years trapped in a place that is extremely hostile to the kind of weather I want (MD is a real tease because every 7 years or so you get 3 feet of snow -- sort of like being a drug addict and spending 5 years in rehab but then suddenly being dropped into an orgy where you are snorting lines of coke off of hookers), so I get the angst many have.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Glad I was able to move to get the weather I wanted. I spent a lot of years trapped in a place that is extremely hostile to the kind of weather I want (MD is a real tease because every 7 years or so you get 3 feet of snow -- sort of like being a drug addict and spending 5 years in rehab but then suddenly being dropped into an orgy where you are snorting lines of coke off of hookers), so I get the angst many have.

Yeah there’s a lot of years down there where it’s almost a shutout. Maybe a couple 1-4” events and that’s it. It can be brutal for snow lovers. 

That said, it probably makes you appreciate the snow more. There’s plenty of people here who bitch at 8” snowstorms because they didn’t get 17”. 

• Like 1

I think the 70s are done after tomorrow. At least for a while....next week doesn't look warm at all on the Euro. GFS tries to cut the late week storm to our west which would warm sector us for a day or so, so we'll see what happens there. Euro CADs New England though with high pressure nosing down.

59 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah I was a lot more gung-ho give me freezing temps every month of the year even coming from ALB… can’t imagine MD.  We’ve talked about it but it’ll be interesting in 10 years or so what your thoughts are.

I think as long as you go south for warm season though you may avoid the complacency (if that’s the right word).

• Like 1

The craziest thing about this time of year is it can range from practically summer even at the summits… to other years you need snowmobiles to get around on the hill.  I think it was 2006 the stake had 30” of settled depth in October with people skiing glades and employees ripping around on snowmobiles like it was December.

Of course that 30” in 2006 melted and it didn’t snow again until MLK Weekend and Valentines Day 2007.

Edit: Or was it 2005?  What year was Hurricane Wilma?  Something associated with Wilma dropped feet of snow.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The craziest thing about this time of year is it can range from practically summer even at the summits… to other years you need snowmobiles to get around on the hill.  I think it was 2006 the stake had 30” of settled depth in October with people skiing glades and employees ripping around on snowmobiles like it was December.

Of course that 30” in 2006 melted and it didn’t snow again until MLK Weekend and Valentines Day 2007.

Edit: Or was it 2005?  What year was Hurricane Wilma?  Something associated with Wilma dropped feet of snow.

06-07 had record warmth Nov-Dec (obliterated 9 years later) and the 1st two weeks of Jan.  Had 11' snow thru 1/13 and 84" afterward.

05-06 had some early snow, including a birch bender at elevation in late October and the T'Day modest snowstorm than included EF-0 and EF-1 spinners at midcoast Maine.  Our biggest event that season came in early December and snofall was about average thru Jan, though with terrible retention - 1/06 is my mildest January.  Then 7.8" Feb 1 on - avg for that period is 44".

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Is it ever going to frost/ freeze this year? I mean nothing north to south thru Helloween even on Ginx charts 

Ryan's 10 day looks like next weekend will be the first legit shot at it. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the hill towns had frost Monday night though.

7 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Ryan's 10 day looks like next weekend will be the first legit shot at it. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the hill towns had frost Monday night though.

I didn’t see it . Was at the girls HS game vs Lewis Mills. What did he have? 

Monday night seems more like a valley deal .  Like Maple Hollow, IJD etc