Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All that acidity is awful for the soil and ph. Never, ever do that. Unless you want a weed lawn…

:lol: Not true Kevin, mulching leaves will barley change the PH, the benefits far outweigh any tiny PH change(adding organic matter, organic fert). Only thing with Oak leaves are they are a pain to mulch mow compared to like Maples which chop up easier. I mulch as much as I can and bag mow when it gets to thick.

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

:lol: Not true Kevin, mulching leaves will barley change the PH, the benefits far outweigh any tiny PH change(adding organic matter, organic fert). Only thing with Oak leaves are they are a pain to mulch mow compared to like Maples which chop up easier. I mulch as much as I can and bag mow when it gets to thick.

The only thing I clean up are my pear and apple leaves because they can carry fungal spores on the leaves and if I remulch them in it becomes a neverending cycle of leaf spot and crappier fruit. 

I don’t want a lot of non-native weeds, but I do like the dutch white clover. So I let that grow like wildfire and over the years it has spread throughout the lawn and helped the grass (and I assume nitrogen) as well. 

But yeah, I think mulching in healthy leaves has more positives than negatives. Nature generally knows what it’s doing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I stand corrected. I always thought they harmed it. With an Oak forest here blowing is the only option 

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I stand corrected. I always thought they harmed it. With an Oak forest here blowing is the only option 

Yea, with as many Oaks as you have mulching would be tough because Oak leaves are huge and hard to chop up small enough.  I mean, I mulch mow when I can, but I also bag leaves too and have a backpack blower when needed.

One thing that sucks this year is we might have to clear leaves at my mother-in-law’s house.  The guy who used to do it is all done (retired) and we have had trouble finding someone. 

There is no place to put the leaves.  My departed father in law used to haul them miles away.  I ain’t doing that. 

• Haha 1