• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

Pretty much on track in CT. The wet summer is helping the leaves stay greener a tick longer:

https://www.ctvisit.com/articles/connecticut-fall-foliage-report

Peak foliage timeframes

The leaves will change in the northern parts of the state first, around Columbus Day, and then move down into the valleys and down toward the shore. Here are estimated peak foliage timeframes for each section:

Connecticut Northwest/Northeast Corners: October 3 – 8

Connecticut Eastern and Western Mid-State Counties: October 16 - 23

Shoreline and lower Connecticut River Valley: October 24 - 30

Southwest Corner: November 7 - 14

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I hate when people do that it cheapens the photo. Doesn't look real anymore.

There's a variety of post processing and fall colors are tough because they are so bright on their own.  Just adjusting the lighting can change things.

Like here's an example from last weekend with only lighting changes.  From an under-exposed photo in an extremely dark rainy day, to a brighter image.  Just adjusting the lighting in the camera or in the post-processing stage makes for a big different.  The full on saturation boost is a bit much but often times shifting even lighting to a more well-rounded exposure can make a big difference.  I play with lighting quite a bit.  I know every other photographer on the planet does too... but the trick is to avoid completely blasting the color out.

1.thumb.jpg.635927c04855f2372ff318a79ec0a3c8.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3da32af4c0fa6e50170048827feb2a59.jpg

• Thanks 1

Record high temperatures increasingly more likely D6 ... 8 ( watching BD of course..) with this new operational Euro, and recent trends culminating. The EPS non-hydrostatic height evolution supports the general theme with a clear R-wave rollout ridge and height anomalies some +2 SD over the span. 

I think it is interesting ( sorry to harp on this ...) because of all months in recent times ...I don't recall/find many Octobers that hosted as many warm records, or at minimum, as many upper tier warm events as we've seen them in every other month.   In fact, many Octobers we've actually been working out eerie cold patterns for the mid and end of month(s)... this seems to be opposite. 

However, I don't believe this will characterize the month. This seems to be happening during a week or so window with relaxing NAO and a lingering -PNA coverging on lifting eastern heights...etc.  But the deeper range may not evolve toward warmer afterwords.  I'd like to point out that in 2011, we had 70 to 76 days for a week through the 10th .. 15th of October, and put up a snow event in the waning days so.. 

24 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Pretty much on track in CT. The wet summer is helping the leaves stay greener a tick longer:

Peak foliage timeframes

The leaves will change in the northern parts of the state first, around Columbus Day, and then move down into the valleys and down toward the shore. Here are estimated peak foliage timeframes for each section:

They have it as peak here and in NW CT now. :lmao: 

Its 70% green 

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Peak foliage timeframes

Those are strange timelines, there's basically one week where it's peak nowhere between 9-15.  

Based on the way things are progressing I would probably go

Northwest and Northeast Hills October 12- 18

The remainder of interior Connecticut. October 18-26

Shoreline October 26-November 4th

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

There's a variety of post processing and fall colors are tough because they are so bright on their own.  Just adjusting the lighting can change things.

Like here's an example from last weekend with only lighting changes.  From an under-exposed photo in an extremely dark rainy day, to a brighter image.  Just adjusting the lighting in the camera or in the post-processing stage makes for a big different.  The full on saturation boost is a bit much but often times shifting even lighting to a more well-rounded exposure can make a big difference.  I play with lighting quite a bit.  I know every other photographer on the planet does too... but the trick is to avoid completely blasting the color out.

1.thumb.jpg.635927c04855f2372ff318a79ec0a3c8.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3da32af4c0fa6e50170048827feb2a59.jpg

First fake snow , now fake color 

• Haha 2