Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A least someone in New England does. Seems many up here should just move south and get it over with.

You don't even need to go to FL. At my place in MD it will be 50-60 degrees and sunny most of December and then again by mid-February onwards most years.

I drove up to the white mountains last Friday. Was a beautiful ride. Enjoyed the foliag.e 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A least someone in New England does. Seems many up here should just move south and get it over with.

You don't even need to go to FL. At my place in MD it will be 50-60 degrees and sunny most of December and then again by mid-February onwards most years.

Nah, it's October. Time to bring the chill.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's an older crowd in here, probably a lot of folks in their 50s/60s. Eat dinner at 4:45. In bed by 8. And like it sunny and 70 (a.k.a. CoC weather). The cold makes their joints ache, and snow is just a pain in the ass for them now. Classic snowbirds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowman21 said:

It's an older crowd in here, probably a lot of folks in their 50s/60s. Eat dinner at 4:45. In bed by 8. And like it sunny and 70 (a.k.a. CoC weather). The cold makes their joints ache, and snow is just a pain in the ass for them now. Classic snowbirds.

I’m 2 months shy of 75.   I go to bed after 2AM, up around 10-11 in the morning.   Dinner typically around 8:30pm.  Suck it millennial.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Give it 10-15 years up in the North Country once the honeymoon phase has worn off.  The desire to be colder than everywhere else wears off and you realize it’ll be cold regardless of what you want… you start to enjoy those extended periods of comfortable temperatures for things like hiking, and mountain biking outside in the spring and fall.

Outdoor recreation starts to be less fun with temps in the 40s and 50s so you start to think it should either snow or be 65F and sunny like it it does in Colorado :lol:.  Unless I’m looking for a reason to be cooped up inside, I’ll always pass on chilly/raw weather… but I used to love it when I first came up north.  It felt like a “North Country” type of weather vibe to be cold in months you usually weren’t when living further south.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snowman21 said:

I believe our age pole was evenly split. In my case anyways HHH makes my joints ache. The cold invigorates me. But actually just based on posts, it seems to me it's the parents with young children in here who whine the most about cold.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, snowman21 said:

LOL....Our generation is still at work after 4:45 and after the 1-2 hr commute from the city home, dinner is after 7 for many. We also walk the dog after dinner and then sit down in our recliners and unwind by watching a baseball or hockey game before bed...A foreign concept to those immersed in Tic Tok and what Khloe Kardashian is doing all day.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Joe B. is the biggest quack in the meteorological world.

His said the 2010s would be like the 70s regarding cooling. Instead the opposite happened. And all his hurricane calls have been garbage too.

Talk about being wrong lol

Joe Bastardi goes into the forecast at his European website here.  Here are some things he says: 

The coming drop of global temperatures over the next year, to levels not seen since the 1990s, should put to an end to the AGW argument for good except for the most radical elements. 

However, also coming is major drop of .5 to .7C in the global temps which will take us below normal for a time. 

And Joe adds: 

In addition, the reason for the drop will easily be linked with the cooling of the Pacific, which will remain in its cool stage for the next 30 years. Once the Atlantic, still warm, goes into its cool stage in 10-15 years, global temps will fall even further, back to where they were in the 1970s

12 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Talk about being wrong lol

Joe Bastardi goes into the forecast at his European website here.  Here are some things he says: 

The coming drop of global temperatures over the next year, to levels not seen since the 1990s, should put to an end to the AGW argument for good except for the most radical elements. 

However, also coming is major drop of .5 to .7C in the global temps which will take us below normal for a time. 

And Joe adds: 

In addition, the reason for the drop will easily be linked with the cooling of the Pacific, which will remain in its cool stage for the next 30 years. Once the Atlantic, still warm, goes into its cool stage in 10-15 years, global temps will fall even further, back to where they were in the 1970s

He's like Q-anon for weather.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Joe B. is the biggest quack in the meteorological world.

His said the 2010s would be like the 70s regarding cooling. Instead the opposite happened. And all his hurricane calls have been garbage too.

another gem from JB

Over a year ago I advised a client of mine at the time to purchase less air conditioners than for  2010 because the summer of 2011 would be cooler than the summer of 2010. Now there is talk that this is going to turn out like last summer, but assuming it won’t, the forecast was made. BEFORE LAST SUMMER. The client had to put in their order for air conditioners a year beforehand because they were ordering them FROM CHINA.

Hot Summer of 2011 Rewrites Record Books | Climate Central

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Yup, just filled up the tank at $2.50/gallon. I can't imagine what it will be come January, can't wait to swap the old oil tank for a heat pump system.

Geothermal heating and cooling Cory. You have solar already so you’re half way to energy independence.

https://dandelionenergy.com/

edit: I see you’re getting a heat pump which is great but geothermal uses a heat pump but get rids of your AC units. As long as your have existing duck work, it’s not that expensive. And using solar to power the geo is ideal/awesome.

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

At this point may as well shoot for warmest Oct on record and record late leaf changes. If such a thing is tracked 

They may not even fall off this year. Just change to red, orange, and yellow and turn right back to green. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2