Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like 2015/2016/2018 in one group and the others in another to me.  2015 is behind all by a good margin.  This year is the one photo without bright sunshine too, it might even be ahead of the 2016/18.

Maybe it’s me but it looks like 4 of 9 which is fairly evenly split.  That’s how one comes up with an average Mr. Fisher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Can easily see in those photos though the recency bias in foliage.  Last year was leaf drop in that photo and the earliest of all those years.  If that’s used as folks’ baseline, then yeah it must feel real late.

Like comparing any winter after 2014-2015 in SNE will feel like it’s a crap winter.

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It's been a monsoon growth year for trees so of course foliage will be a tick behind. We'll need warm and dry days with cool and dry nights instead of of swamp cheek weather. 

Some of my chestnut and pawpaw trees put out new growth in early September so I'm glad they're getting a little more time to harden off.

Let it be warm now and then flip the pattern in Novie when it can be cold enough to snow.

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Green?

I have a lot of aspen and birch on the edges of my field that stay green until after peak. They hide a lot of the colorful stuff from certain angles. I will have the wife take a shot with her good camera later to really capture the colors better.

I will say that the colors are a little muted so far compared to last season (my only point of reference). We will see what happens this week. I was a little worried about a situation where the colors are delayed enough that there is a lot of leaf drop before they can really get to those deep reds and oranges. Still a few days from peak here, IMO. It is amazing the difference down the road in North Conway still. 

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I will say that the colors are a little muted so far compared to last season (my only point of reference). We will see what happens this week. I was a little worried about a situation where the colors are delayed enough that there is a lot of leaf drop before they can really get to those deep reds and oranges. Still a few days from peak here, IMO. It is amazing the difference down the road in North Conway still. 

Like I posted in the foliage thread, our reds are exploding.  Just insane deep red down into town.

Unedited out of the camera (a little dark) from this morning in town.  This is low elevation (for around here, a tad below 1,000ft).  Just a screen shot so not the highest quality, ha. 

I know the Vermont forest mix is known to be great for foliage but high-end mix of dark/deep red and green now in the low elevations. 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.23aa71f80480a00484b81b26e287528f.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Like I posted in the foliage thread, our reds are exploding.  Just insane deep red down into town.

Unedited out of the camera (a little dark) from this morning in town.  This is low elevation (for around here, a tad below 1,000ft).  Just a screen shot so not the highest quality, ha. 

I know the Vermont forest mix is known to be great for foliage but high-end mix of dark/deep red and green now in the low elevations. 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.23aa71f80480a00484b81b26e287528f.jpg

Definitely some gorgeous colors out there. I feel like we are just a couple days out from best colors now. The bright oranges are coming in but the trees are still partially green in some of those cases. Sometimes half the leaf is neon orange the other half green. That’s neat in its own way. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Definitely some gorgeous colors out there. I feel like we are just a couple days out from best colors now. The bright oranges are coming in but the trees are still partially green in some of those cases. Sometimes half the leaf is neon orange the other half green. That’s neat in its own way. 

I always find it fascinating how that happens.  Like half color, half mid-summer green.