SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Saw this watermarked pic from Lake Willoughby 

20211003_194324.jpg

I gotta get out there soon.  That lake is beautiful with 2,000 foot walls around it.  Only been in mid-summer.

All joking aside about foliage timing, there has to be a gradient somewhere with “normal foliage timing” and “drastically weeks late” stuff.

A buddy went down to Lake George in NY and said very little to no color there which is definitely odd.  He said our area is on pace to be bare before they see good color.  It’s usually not that fragmented at all.  Gradient around GFL-RUT-LCI?

Does it follow the precip anomalies?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I gotta get out there soon.  That lake is beautiful with 2,000 foot walls around it.  Only been in mid-summer.

All joking aside about foliage timing, there has to be a gradient somewhere with “normal foliage timing” and “drastically weeks late” stuff.

A buddy went down to Lake George in NY and said very little to no color there which is definitely odd.  He said our area is on pace to be bare before they see good color.  It’s usually not that fragmented at all.  Gradient around GFL-RUT-LCI?

I was at Lake George alot last fall and it was defintley behind my area in SVT even with the latitude difference they have.  Haven't been this year, but from what you said, they are behind again as we defintley have some color now, but not what you guys have up north obviously. Maybe its somewhat normal?  Although 2 years prob not a great sample size...lol.

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Still very green in North Conway. Last season they were slightly behind me but this season they are way behind.  

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty mild change down in the Upper Valley. Really noticeable as as you head down the hill towards exit 3. 

Its behind here, too, but not so radically. Maybe 2 weeks? It varies so much year to year that 2 weeks in either direction isn't uncommon-at least now. Latest I've seen it peak here was in 2011-12(?) when the trees we still in leaf (albeit colored leaves) at the beginning of November. Peak was at the end of October that year. (We also had very little wind that fall, if I recall, so that may have helped along with the above normal temps.  Colors seems nice and bright where they are bursting through. Up in Wells color is more like I'd expect it to be here the first few days of October here (Worcester). They are usually about a week ahead of us on the Maine coast--much more so inland.

After being wonky the last two consecutive years .. we appear destined to hitting the previous mean from 2009 thru 2018 here along Rt 2 in N-central Mass.  Looks like October 10 to 15 for most species ... eye-ballin' timing, and then Silver Maples and Oaks do their typical lingering