Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

1 hour ago, Sw NC weather said:

I’m with you, I wish I would’ve got the big totals some of the others got, but it just didn’t work out. But hey after the torch of December we had any Snow was a win in my book! The max at one time here on the ground is right now which is about 3”. I don’t understand why there so upset we look to be entering a epic pattern.

Head up to highlands.  Even scaly has 14"

• Like 5

What a NWF event! This was at noon that I measured. I'm probably close to 16" total for the storm and about 10" from the upslope. Nickel sized flakes have been just pouring all day.

Got my driveway cleared for now. About to go up and check out the drifts on Big Bald.f6f285db1b713b4be5546544f6dfe5a6.jpg7c35bab916f792808474bad02ec7838a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The national weather service stated that the warm nose wasn't as strong as predicted yet others here say it was. What gives? 

I thought the warm nose went exactly how I forecasted it. I think the NWS means in terms of freezing rain vs. sleet because the sleet area was larger than expected. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Yes

Well the short range models really cut the totals but for most the snow came and was a lot. Pretty much lined up with the GFS and Euro. The warm nose came but the damage had already been done snow wise. The ones you are reading are pissed because well they struck out but the mountains and lee side are a completely different beast all together.  CAD no CAD whatever it may be the weather here in the mountains is vastly different than most can predict including the models sometimes.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxJordan said:

This next storm is "more typical" with a phase between the northern and southern stream. Harder to forecast, but typical. Still unsure about which way to follow at the moment for western NC. Phase? No Phase?

Im definitely thinking phase and a more NW track but the northern stream can dominate and push everything south and east of us.

• Like 1

Warm nose over estimated for once in yesterday's storm in the southern foothills. Just changed over to sleet for a short time then back to all snow for the duration of the storm. No freezing rain at all. Usually the warm nose all ways wins out in these areas but wasn't as strong in this storm thank goodness.

• jburns unpinned this topic