Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

4 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I think it's time people start buying the fact that sleet/ Freezing rain is gonna make an appearance.

The hell I am. Sorry but in the heart of the mountains I don't think so especially as strong as the CAD will be. I highly doubt it especially at the height of the precipitation.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I fully expect sleet here but I doubt we get freezing rain

I'm hoping not, but the Nam being stubborn with it has me just a tad concerned. Have to see here in just a couple hours once the HRRR has the storm truly in it's wheelhouse and see how it looks on the hourly runs.

5 minutes ago, wxduncan said:
.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...
-- Changed Discussion --

As of 300 PM EST Saturday: Winter storm still on track for the forecast area, but the trend continues for more sleet and freezing rain outside of the NC mountains and Blue Ridge. A little more sleet and freezing rain than snow now expected across the in the lower French Broad valley and the mountains west of the French Broad valley, at least early in the event. Off and on sprinkles and flurries will continue into the evening as weak lift moves in ahead of the main system. Precip chances begin ramping up after midnight and better forcing and deep moisture move in from the west. Expect a combination of rain or snow as the moisture moves in and evaporational cooling takes over and cold air damming strengthens outside of the mountains. The warm nose then kicks in toward morning and moves north across much of the area. The warm nose, and warming surface temps, then moves into the Southwestern NC mountains where cold air damming impacts are normally less. This means a change over to sleet and freezing rain from south to north and encroaching from the west. In fact, the lower French Broad valley and Little TN basin will see warming so that rain may be predominant for several hours. The warm nose even moves across all the NC mountains with a change over to sleet. As the surface low and H85 low move east, the warm nose moves east as well with colder air moving in behind. This will make a change back to snow from west to east across the area late in the afternoon. Precip chances taper off from north to south through the evening as the low pressure continues to move away from the area. Snow will linger across the mountains and retreat toward the TN border as the event shifts to a NW flow snow scenario. Winds will also be an issue tonight and Sunday as a strong low level jet moves in with the warm nose. Gusty winds will develop across the area with potentially strong wind gusts in some locations. Since a winter warning is already in place across the area, the wind threat will be included in this warning. Of course, these winds could cause issues where freezing rain accretion is highest.

-- End Changed Discussion --

Just come out from GSP

Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches are expected across the mountain
valleys and extreme northeast Georgia, with 8 to 12 inches along
and near the Blue Ridge Escarpment, and 12 to 20 inches at
elevations above 4000 feet. Ice accumulations of up to one tenth
of an inch are also possible. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.

They lowered things a big, but still a good storm! Hang in there y'all :lol::weenie:

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic