Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

8 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Ya'll know that in order to cash out on the highest snow totals, you have to be able to smell the rain  :lol:  Seriously though, good luck everyone!! I hope not to be encased in ice so that I can get out and take some pictures of the winter wonderland :wub:

Absolutely! And the sleet

• Like 1

Hi y'all. first of all hope everyone scores big with this one. But I also just noticed that MRX was mentioning the possibility of a blizzard warning for their side of the mts above 4000'. I couldn't imagine winds would be less over there with that 850 flow. Didn't see any mention from GSP or Blacksburg, but I may have just missed it. 

From the overnight disco:

Finally, the gusty winds in combination with snow will bring near blizzard
like conditions to the Smokies, generally above 4000 feet. It is
certainly possible a blizzard warning may be needed later, but
for now will let the WSW handle it.
  • Like 3

Really only the 0z NAM last night was a complete disaster, and the 6z immediately came back more in line with previous runs at least when it came to P-type durations/snow totals/etc. In the end though GSP making the safe call, no one's gonna be upset if the snow busts slightly over, and their forecast is still well within warning criteria.

• Like 2

Good morning fellow winter weather (nerds) lovers! 28 degrees in Cashiers at 3500'. Got my and ready for the show! Point forecast has bumped our storm totals up a couple inches.

3-7 tonight
9-13 tomorrow
up to another 1" tomorrow night

I've never seen that before, so my excitement is at all time highs.
Hoping everyone on this board gets what they wish from this one!

I did see in GSP AFD that they said our La Nina winter is on hold for a bit. You love to see it!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ncjoaquin said:

I still have a point forecast of 4-8. I would take 3 and still be happy. I just want some snow after all this work, lol. Good luck to everyone. I still feel like we are going to do really well. 

Edited to add, the GFS STILL thinks we are getting hammered and also that NW flow means business.

4 to 6 inches is what I think of as ideal, I would rather not lose power and trees with more than that. I had a great time during the blizzard of 93 but I was renting back then LOL.

• Like 2

We are live from our place here in lake Toxaway! Headed to the store this morning to get some final things and then we will be ready for the storm. It is beautiful up here. We got in very late, but that didn’t stop our little man from getting us up bright and early. 

It was a windy drive up to here and the driveway is pretty steep. I definitely don’t see how we will make it out Monday, but here’s hoping. Also have our fingers crossed to keep power. Looking forward to looking upstream today to see how our system looks and is performing 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

From GSP... they're not buying the nam.

The mountains, meanwhile are on track for a mostly-snow
forecast.  The warm nose should not penetrate into the Appalachians.
Profiles here appear to remain well-saturated and sub-freezing
through most of the event

As what I've been harping on since yesterday.  Great minds think alike lol. 

• Like 6

We are live from our place here in lake Toxaway! Headed to the store this morning to get some final things and then we will be ready for the storm. It is beautiful up here. We got in very late, but that didn’t stop our little man from getting us up bright and early. 

It was a windy drive up to here and the driveway is pretty steep. I definitely don’t see how we will make it out Monday, but here’s hoping. Also have our fingers crossed to keep power. Looking forward to looking upstream today to see how our system looks and is performing 
Welcome neighbor! I forgot coffee at the store yesterday. Dangit! ;) Will be fetching that after I close my store at noon.

Stay safe and have a blast!

5 minutes ago, LiQuiDBuD said:

Solid cirrus deck above me, this camera faces east to monitor my parking lot in case of theives. Haha.84e08b343636ba1c1d275111aa2c5788.jpg

I was looking at this and I was like, this dude owns a plumbing supply spot and sure enough!  Love it man I hear business is good up in that area!  Just like it is everywhere else in WNC.

• Like 1

I was looking at this and I was like, this dude owns a plumbing supply spot and sure enough!  Love it man I hear business is good up in that area!  Just like it is everywhere else in WNC.
Haha. Yes sir, business is booming just like this winter storm! I'm shocked that despite massive price increases across the board, construction and remodeling have only increased. Of course, this area is pretty immune to much concern where money is involved, they've evidently got enough to burn in case the power goes out. ;)

Zero complaints business-wise, save for the supply chain headaches!

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic