Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

Just now, Met1985 said:

Yep December 18 2009! Was before my time on the board but I had 2 feet in my front yard. Only lost power for 6 hours. They had to get a front end loader to clear the roads out in Fines Creek area because it was waist deep especially near Max Patch. 

I missed that one,  was up in Va Beach. Luckily Christmas storm of 2010 made up for it. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yep December 18 2009! Was before my time on the board but I had 2 feet in my front yard. Only lost power for 6 hours. They had to get a front end loader to clear the roads out in Fines Creek area because it was waist deep especially near Max Patch. 

What’s the all-timer for populated portions of Haywood? I’m thinking it has to be March ‘30 (I think) I was reading about recently. 30”+ Fines Creek and Crabtree if I remember correctly. 

11 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

What’s the all-timer for populated portions of Haywood? I’m thinking it has to be March ‘30 (I think) I was reading about recently. 30”+ Fines Creek and Crabtree if I remember correctly. 

Probably March 93. That was the biggest storm of my lifetime.  Close to 3 feet in cashiers 

• Like 5

TWC is getting kind of wild with my forecast :lol:

Saturday Night: Snow showers early, with a steadier snow developing late at night. Some sleet or freezing rain possible. Low 22F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 90%. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches.

Sunday: Periods of snow. High 29F. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 8 to 12 inches.

Sunday Night: Snow in the evening will give way to mostly cloudy conditions overnight. Low near 25F. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snowfall around one inch. Higher wind gusts possible.

1 hour ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

That “V” of lower totals on the GFS coming into Asheville from Madison County, is due to the French Broad River Valley funneling in warmer air from TN. That’s always a battleground area with CAD. In these setups, AVL isn’t Black Mountain. Black Mountain will do well.

Why is it that warm air can get in here and lower our snow totals but cold air never makes it over the mountains in time? Is it simply that the warm air has an easier time rising over the mountains and funneling in?

This may just be the first time I've seen an ensemble mean over a foot here in Clayton. December 2018 we were sitting right on the gradient ended up with like 6-8. 15 or so inches in 88 is the record here, if somehow we could stay all snow might just get a shot at it. 

• Like 1

This is the most excited I’ve been about snow since Dec 2018. And I might even be more excited about  this one just because of the fact I’m chasing it up to Boone instead of just waking up to it while I lived there lol. This is gonna be a fun one guys. And as always fun to watch everything come together following it with you.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Yeah 93 was huge but we have had several foot plus storms were I remember us having to get the tractor out because of the snow.

10 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The super clipper of 2003 was a gem here. Expecting an inch or less and woke up to 8 to 9 from a surprise lee trough. 

That was my senior year if it’s the storm I’m thinking of. We got out at 11 and my parents  house is closer to Hickory north and west up near the lake than where the high school is, so I left school with it just starting to snow and got home to a couple inches already on the ground. Ended up around 9” too I think and the bottom dropped out that night to single digits and it was a frozen solid mess. ‘93 is the gold standard in totality but ‘88 (from stories I’ve heard, too young to remember) ‘96 and that storm my senior year rank up there for Hickory.  Another sleeper for total inches was a storm in February while I was in college, I’m thinking ‘04.  Came home from Raleigh just to enjoy the aftermath.  That was a foot plus but didn’t hang around long, temps shot up.

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic