• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

Jason Boyer after seeing the 6z Euro. (I kid, I kid)
C1D253BC-B66C-4A66-B647-2307EFFD2D14.gif.19e5082956fe12ecb19631a73d5b1c03.gif
Haha. I think it's time for him to jump in with both feet. There are going to be significant impacts for the majority of his viewing area and they need to prepare before Saturday rolls around. Right?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Good morning folks!, this is shaping up to be a nice thump for most of you. Still a ways out but I’m loving the trends for heavy snow even in the foothills. Of course it’s all up in the air because it’s the south. I love living at the beach but not gonna lie, this is one of those times I wish I was in the mix with you all. Just gonna have to settle for the vicariously route with you!

• Like 3

I would love your guys' perspective on this.  Here's my dilemma:

• There's nothing like seeing it snow/sleet/whatever in your own backyard, and Hickory has a good chance to get walloped.
  • My in-laws have welcomed us to come spend the weekend with them in Black Mountain (due east of Asheville on I-40, just up Old Fort Mountain).

I think Black Mountain has a much better chance of remaining snow for the entire event (2400 feet elevation), with little chance of mixing in sleet (at least at this point in the forecast).  However, Buncombe County traditionally is the driest county in the state and often has precip minima there compared to surrounding areas.  Ignoring other factors such as my kids playing with cousins in the snow in Black Mountain, which experience would you prefer?

1. Staying at home and seeing 6+ inches of snow, with an inch or snow of sleet, followed by a deform band with more snow IMBY, OR
  2. Traveling to in-laws and seeing a pure snowstorm with likely 12+ inches of snow on the ground, but they might get downsloped a bit by surrounding mountains.

As you can probably guess, my wife doesn't even understand why it's a dilemma, and she's like, "Let's go to my parents and have fun with the family there".  But there's something so special about seeing it snow, during the day, all day, below freezing, in your own backyard.  And, I'm a sucker for taking records and measurements IMBY, as you can see from my signature line.  :D

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

• There's nothing like seeing it snow/sleet/whatever in your own backyard, and Hickory has a good chance to get walloped.
  • My in-laws have welcomed us to come spend the weekend with them in Black Mountain (due east of Asheville on I-40, just up Old Fort Mountain).
I think Black Mountain has a much better chance of remaining snow for the entire event (2400 feet elevation), with little chance of mixing in sleet (at least at this point in the forecast).  However, Buncombe County traditionally is the driest county in the state and often has precip minima there compared to surrounding areas.  Ignoring other factors such as my kids playing with cousins in the snow in Black Mountain, which experience would you prefer?
  1. Staying at home and seeing 6+ inches of snow, with an inch or snow of sleet, followed by a deform band with more snow IMBY, OR
  2. Traveling to in-laws and seeing a pure snowstorm with likely 12+ inches of snow on the ground, but they might get downsloped a bit by surrounding mountains.
As you can probably guess, my wife doesn't even understand why it's a dilemma, and she's like, "Let's go to my parents and have fun with the family there".  But there's something so special about seeing it snow, during the day, all day, below freezing, in your own backyard.  And, I'm a sucker for taking records and measurements IMBY, as you can see from my signature line. 
What are your thoughts?

What’s the timeline, when does a decision have to be finalized? If you have time follow the model trends. Depends on what part of Hickory & what part of Black Mountain. I’d wait as long as possible to gather the most info then make the call. The great thing is either way will be a win!

6 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

As you can probably guess, my wife doesn't even understand why it's a dilemma, and she's like, "Let's go to my parents and have fun with the family there".  But there's something so special about seeing it snow, during the day, all day, below freezing, in your own backyard.  And, I'm a sucker for taking records and measurements IMBY, as you can see from my signature line.  :D

What are your thoughts?

This is a low-hanging fruit answer, but whatever makes the wife happy is probably the safest bet. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

What’s the timeline, when does a decision have to be finalized? If you have time follow the model trends. Depends on what part of Hickory & what part of Black Mountain. I’d wait as long as possible to gather the most info then make the call. The great thing is either way will be a win!

My wife wants to let her mother know as soon as possible.  Probably by tomorrow afternoon we should have it finalized.

• NW Hickory, approximately one mile from Alexander County line.
  • Between Black Mountain and Swannanoa, near Owen HS.

3 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

I think it ultimately depends on where the location is in Black Mountain.  Often we get caught in the French Broad valley death trap in some of these storms.  You can see it depicted on some of the snow maps - closer to the McDowell/Buncombe line the better.

• Thanks 1

My wife wants to let her mother know as soon as possible.  Probably by tomorrow afternoon we should have it finalized.
  • NW Hickory, approximately one mile from Alexander County line.
  • Between Black Mountain and Swannanoa, near Owen HS.

Man, that’s a tough one! You could get a great dump at home. The in laws spot is not that prone to dry slotting plus it’s a good spot for some flow snow. I think they will get a big one. As I said either will be a win for you with this system. I’d definitely be gathering info (models, afd’s from all the Offices around you GSP, Blacksburg, Raleigh) and make that final decision as late as possible. Sage advice from Octopus, & go with your gut.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

What are your thoughts?

Probably best going to the inlaws. 

• Thanks 1

As you can probably guess, my wife doesn't even understand why it's a dilemma, and she's like, "Let's go to my parents and have fun with the family there".  But there's something so special about seeing it snow, during the day, all day, below freezing, in your own backyard.  And, I'm a sucker for taking records and measurements IMBY, as you can see from my signature line. 
What are your thoughts?

Yeah states that do what the wife wants. Or stay where you are and walk the line like I’ll be doing :-)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

What are your thoughts?

I personally don't think downsloping is going to be a factor for anyone really because of the way the system moves. It's going to come in from the south rotating coming from the SE to east possibly then rotating the axis of moisture from a west to end with a NW flow setup. Black mountain should be in a great spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• jburns unpinned this topic