Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yep I did! Would have been great to have met you up there. It is absolutely beautiful. 

Hate I couldn’t join but I figured work wouldn’t like me getting stuck or wrecking the truck if the worst happened lol.   I drove up that way yesterday evening but turned around at Hurricane Gap, tried to get an idea of how far the drive from the new place is.  Next storm I plan on doing some driving around and hiking as long as I’m home.  A good old fashioned  NWF event would suit me just fine, especially to compare my new place to the old one for those events. Neighbor was telling me last year they had a 36 hr duration one that dropped 12+.  I think I know which one he was talking about but I also don’t remember those totals unless you got up on the state line and above 4k’.  Of course he’s also on the next mountaintop over up around 4100’ so maybe his place did break the foot mark. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Hate I couldn’t join but I figured work wouldn’t like me getting stuck or wrecking the truck if the worst happened lol.   I drove up that way yesterday evening but turned around at Hurricane Gap, tried to get an idea of how far the drive from the new place is.  Next storm I plan on doing some driving around and hiking as long as I’m home.  A good old fashioned  NWF event would suit me just fine, especially to compare my new place to the old one for those events. Neighbor was telling me last year they had a 36 hr duration one that dropped 12+.  I think I know which one he was talking about but I also don’t remember those totals unless you got up on the state line and above 4k’.  Of course he’s also on the next mountaintop over up around 4100’ so maybe his place did break the foot mark. 

Yeah you are in a great spot for NWF snows now. A much better spot than before.  Looks like I ended up around 4 to 5 inches. There has been a lot of drifting going on with this storm.

• Like 2

Went on a drive. Strange accumulations with this storm. Little Switzerland and Spruce Pine had an inch or 2 but South Toe area and Busick in Yancey had almost nothing. One area near Woodlawn had an inch and a few miles later had a dusting or nothing. Not exactly elevation dependant either. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

Congrats to all that cashed. My previous next door neighbor posted pics & it looked like 2” off of New Stock Rd. Any of you seeing flow snow?

BTW it’s 44 & windy at the beach currently!

I have had intermittent snow showers this afternoon.  Its cold as crap though.  Currently at 26 degrees. 

• Like 5

I have had intermittent snow showers this afternoon.  Its cold as crap though.  Currently at 26 degrees. 
I had some clearing for a while earlier...thought the sun was coming out but nope. Another nwf shower moved in over the past 10 minutes. And yeah, it's seriously cold. 21° with wind gusts in the 20s.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looking at my weather station history the sun must have come out over my house after noon because the temp shot up from 26 to 34, back down to 30 now. Figure a snow shower moved in overhead.  Thursday into Friday looks interesting, SW folks not up against the state line need that energy to dig a little bit more for more than dusting/inch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I had some clearing for a while earlier...thought the sun was coming out but nope. Another nwf shower moved in over the past 10 minutes. And yeah, it's seriously cold. 21° with wind gusts in the 20s.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yeah no kidding. The wind has not helped things at all and surprisingly very little snow has melted today even with the warm ground.

• jburns unpinned this topic