Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021-2022 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

3 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

To be fair, a lot is working against us foothills folks. Heck, I’m not sure I can ever remember downsloping not being a death sentence in these setups. My hope is that dynamics can over come this to a degree but I’ll plan to go to sleep tonight expecting nothing so I’ll be surprised if we get anything. 

2 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

To be fair, a lot is working against us foothills folks. Heck, I’m not sure I can ever remember downsloping not being a death sentence in these setups. My hope is that dynamics can over come this to a degree but I’ll plan to go to sleep tonight expecting nothing so I’ll be surprised if we get anything. 

Oh I agree about the foothills but they were bearish for the mountains too

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I do think that we are in the prime spot across the board. However you slice it this will be a win for us. Whether 6 or 16 inches this is something we have been looking forward to having. 

For sure. I am definitely not going to be disappointed if 10 miles away from me gets a foot and I get 4in.... Just glad to be back doing this again!

• Like 1

Just now, Maggie Ace said:

Simply amazing to watch the consistency for our area. I agree with Met85. Where it be 6 or more we've been patiently waiting fir the pattern to flip in our favor. Hopefully this is the beginning of a two week period that can salvage the ski season!

Yeah Haywood in general is sitting pretty along with a lot of WNC. This should be a fun region wide storm were most will get in on the action.  It's about time we saw this change in pattern.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah Haywood in general is sitting pretty along with a lot of WNC. This should be a fun region wide storm were most will get in on the action.  It's about time we saw this change in pattern.

If it snowed that much in Asheville Idk if I would make the drive to work even though I have AWD. Those transplant drivers scare me on a nice day

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Lord that cut off is Sharp!

Looking at the 6-7" wedge from Patrick County down into Stokes thinking that this is the early season event that will crush our enthusiasm and remind us all how poorly the weather models have performed over the last couple of years with these marginal events.  I'll be driving up to the farm in Stuart tonight and back home to Kvegas tomorrow at lunch.  I will be living proof of model verification within 20 hours.

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

One of the many reasons we moved from Jackson to Haywood was the weather. I was tried of being burned by winter storms in the deeper valleys of SW NC, that and a touch cooler in summers. Although I am a fan of rain and the Plateau is something special. Highlands and many other sites surpassed 100" of rain on the year, for the fourth year in a row. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

One of the many reasons we moved from Jackson to Haywood was the weather. I was tried of being burned by winter storms in the deeper valleys of SW NC, that and a touch cooler in summers. Although I am a fan of rain and the Plateau is something special. Highlands and many other sites surpassed 100" of rain on the year, for the fourth year in a row. 

Yeah you know how special the climate is here in Haywood for sure. You literally go down or up the road 1 mile and things can change in a hurry especially with the topography of the county.

2 minutes ago, Phelps said:

So does the GFS think it's going to snow 3"/hr for 6 straight hours lol? (in some places) 

Relatively speaking yes. Given the GFS depiction of rapid intensification,  to elevation,  to temps crashing and high winds this could be a real thing. Not to get into extremes but this would be a time when this would be an extreme local weather event if all unfolds as is being depicted. 

• Like 2

• jburns unpinned this topic