Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2021

Stormlover74

34 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It’s difficult to get more than a trace of snow during a La. Nina November in NYC.

La Niña years bolded

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY - Month of Nov
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Total Snowfall 
Missing Count
2020 0.0 0
2019 0.0 0
2018 6.4 0
2017 T 0
2016 T 0
2015 0.0 0
2014 0.2 0
2013 T 0
2012 4.7 0
2011 0.0 0
2010 T 0
2009 0.0 0
2008 T 0
2007 T 0
2006 0.0 0
2005 T 0
2004 T 0
2003 0.0 0
2002 T 0
2001 0.0 0
2000 0.0 0

1995 was the last time a la nina November that had snow...1950, 1951 and 1971 had big storms but with very little snow in the city...upstate New York was clobbered around thanksgiving 1971...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

It’s difficult to get more than a trace of snow during a La. Nina November in NYC.

La Niña years bolded

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY - Month of Nov
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Total Snowfall 
Missing Count
2020 0.0 0
2019 0.0 0
2018 6.4 0
2017 T 0
2016 T 0
2015 0.0 0
2014 0.2 0
2013 T 0
2012 4.7 0
2011 0.0 0
2010 T 0
2009 0.0 0
2008 T 0
2007 T 0
2006 0.0 0
2005 T 0
2004 T 0
2003 0.0 0
2002 T 0
2001 0.0 0
2000 0.0 0

Actually all November's are snowless here. In my lifetime 63 years I have seen 4 accumulating snows in November 67,89,2012 and 2018..most have a trace or nothing. Your more likely to get snow in April than November.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KEITH L.I said:

Actually all November's are snowless here. In my lifetime 63 years I have seen 4 accumulating snows in November 67,89,2012 and 2018..most have a trace or nothing. Your more likely to get snow in April than November.

I think you forgot 1995?   I had 4 inches here right at the start of that epic pattern-was very late November.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

The cold will be limited to start November in North America with the SPV going over to Europe and Asia.

Yea, I would definitely not be comfortable forecasting a cold and or snowy November in the east right now, after weakening initially early in November, the SPV looks to completely recover and strengthen by month’s end. Also, you have a coupled, strengthening La Niña, strong -PDO, -PMM and the SSTs along and off the east coast are blazing right now, they are going to help feedback into the WAR/SE ridge. The PAC has wanted to stay -PNA/+EPO/+SOI since the beginning of September, it’s been a very persistent, stagnant pattern there. Also, unlike last year’s east-based event, this Niña is definitely more central-based: 

Who would ever make a call for November in New York City to be snowy?

As someone above pointed out it’s happened a few times AND almost always leads to a nearly snowless winter to follow.

As another poster mentioned, a warm Sept Oct and Nov is almost always a sign of a warm winter.

In the next 3-4 weeks you will know if winter is going to arrive or if we have to hope for small-ball, pattern, one-off snow events like Feb 2014 or Feb 95

6 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

As someone above pointed out it’s happened a few times AND almost always leads to a nearly snowless winter to follow.

As another poster mentioned, a warm Sept Oct and Nov is almost always a sign of a warm winter.

In the next 3-4 weeks you will know if winter is going to arrive or if we have to hope for small-ball, pattern, one-off snow events like Feb 2014 or Feb 95

Huh? 2013-14 had 60" of snow. Maybe you're thinking of Jan 2016

58 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Also, you have a coupled, strengthening La Niña, strong -PDO, -PMM and the SSTs along and off the east coast are blazing right now, they are going to help feedback into the WAR/SE ridge. The PAC has wanted to stay -PNA/+EPO/+SOI since the beginning of September, it’s been a very persistent, stagnant pattern there. Also, unlike last year’s east-based event, this Niña is definitely more central-based: 

Yeah, it’s been  a long time since we had a cold pool and deep trough in the Northeast Pacific during the fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

If the pattern is right then why not ?

20 hours ago, uncle W said:

I remember back in 1971 when October was warm to the end...November turned out colder than normal with record cold...December reverted back to warmer than normal...it took until late January for real winter pattern to lock in for a month...like last year February was the coldest snowiest month...the real winter pattern was locked in for a month...1995-96 was locked in from 12/9 to 1/12...then a pause...then three more weeks the beginning of February and on and off in March ...

and into April!

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, it’s been  a long time since we had a cold pool and deep trough in the Northeast Pacific during the fall.

If he’s correct and a AK/GOA vortex is a persistent, semi-permanent feature this winter, we are in a lot of trouble. An AK/GOA vortex is a mega torch pattern for the CONUS and Canada

35 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If he’s correct and a AK/GOA vortex is a persistent, semi-permanent feature this winter, we are in a lot of trouble. An AK/GOA vortex is a mega torch pattern for the CONUS and Canada

The chance this pattern holds is close to zero...anyone who wants cold and snow wants this pattern to keep up another 3-4 weeks before it flips but its almost never that a pattern from September holds all winter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The chance this pattern holds is close to zero...anyone who wants cold and snow wants this pattern to keep up another 3-4 weeks before it flips but its almost never that a pattern from September holds all winter.

In our old Climate this was definitely true. The problem is we have seen ultra persistent patterns in recent years. The question is how long this can hold. It’s not what we want to see.   

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

No offense but if it were the reverse right now you would say the pattern would change in time and cause a mild, snowfree winter. 

I personally think we're going to an AN temp winter with near normal snows though that's highly dependent on blocking.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1