Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2021

Stormlover74

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

JFK and LGA were nearly identical in January during the 1981-2010 climate normals period. But it changed during the new 1991-2020 climate normals. JFK is the only station in our area with not much of a January temperature increase for the new January climate normals. I doubt it’s UHI since LGA rose at exactly the same rate as HPN which is in a more rural part of our area near the CT border in Westchester. But the more interesting question is why did the average temperature at JFK hold steady while all the surrounding areas rose between +1.1 and +1.5°?

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/us-climate-normals/#dataset=normals-monthly&timeframe=81&location=NY

Station…81-10….91-20…January increase

EWR….31.6…32.8…+1.2

NYC….32.6...33.7…+1.1

LGA….32.9..34.4…+1.5

JFK….32.7….32.8…+0.1

ISP…..30.6…31.9…..+1.3

HPN…28.3…29.8….+1.5

My stats were from 2000-2021. That would mean LGA actually fell .3 degrees from the 1991-2020 period. JFk went up .2 in the same time frames. Islip also fell in the 2000-2021 time frame compared to 1990-2020 by some .4 degrees. Central Park fell .3 also. Newark stayed about the same. Sounds like the 1990s were very mild January.

Station    2000-2021    1990-2020

JFK           33                    32.8

LGA           34.1                  34.4

ISP            31.5                  31.9

EWR         32.8                 32.8

NYC          33.4                 33.7

I understand my stats are not a 30 yr time frame. I got them off the NWS site and they listed the 2000-2021 time frame. Interesting that JFK is the only station of the immediate metro area that rose.

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

As SACRUS said, the warmup mid next week looks significant. At least mid 70s wednesday and thursday. The cooldowns, like the ones coming for this sunday/monday and next weekend into early the following week, aren't very impressive with high temps still making it to the low-mid 60s.

I think the cooldown next weekend will be significant.High won't get out of the 50's which is slightly cooler than normal.Again folks it's the Fall. Winter doesn't arrive for over 2 months. Enjoy this nice weather

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

As SACRUS said, the warmup mid next week looks significant. At least mid 70s wednesday and thursday. The cooldowns, like the ones coming for this sunday/monday and next weekend into early the following week, aren't very impressive with high temps still making it to the low-mid 60s.

Yup. Not an impressive cool down by any means. Just a reversion back to normal. 

Just now, psv88 said:

What did I claim initially? Of course upstate will be cooler. Where most people live, it will be well into the 60s

"What areas? I’m not seeing that at all. Maybe in New England. We will be 65+"

What modeling or forecasts show that 50s will be exclusive to New England and that the general metro area will see 65+ for a high?

Just now, SnowDemon said:

"What areas? I’m not seeing that at all. Maybe in New England. We will be 65+"

What modeling or forecasts show that 50s will be exclusive to New England and that the general metro area will see 65+ for a high?

Southern Connecticut will be in the 60s brother, even white plains will be in the 60s…and Connecticut is New England…

5 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

quibbling over a high below 60 in mid october, lol. on oct 16 1944 ewr had a low of 31 and in 2009 the high was 46. today is the 13th day in a row with lows above 60...

LOL, pretty much. I'm just not sure what psv is seeing.

6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Southern Connecticut will be in the 60s brother, even white plains will be in the 60s…and Connecticut is New England…

OK, sure, but they will likely see temps with the low 60s with many other areas seeing highs right around 60. Not 65+. I guess I'm not sure where you're pulling these numbers from.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

The ACATT crew in full force. Gonna be a long winter 

I'm a winter weather lover however  We are far from Winter.   You're crazy if you haven't loved the weather the last 6 weeks.  highs in the seventies and lows around 60 perfect. it could stay this way till Thanksgiving for all I care then we can flip

1 minute ago, SnowDemon said:

LOL, pretty much. I'm just not sure what psv is seeing.

OK, sure, but they will likely see temps with the low 60s with many other areas seeing highs right around 60. I guess I'm not sure where you're pulling these numbers from.

My point was you posted a chart for temps at 1 pm which showed 55 for the area…just not accurate lol

1 minute ago, binbisso said:

I'm a winter weather lover however  We are far from Winter.   You're crazy if you haven't loved the weather the last 6 weeks.  highs in the seventies and lows around 60 perfect. it could stay this way till Thanksgiving for all I care then we can flip

I agree 100%. I would like one hard freeze to kill the bugs. The mosquitoes are Ruthless right now.