Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn 2021 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

What is #2 for Minneapolis?

21.1” in November 1985

Most impressive to me is that #3 and #4 on the list 20” and 17.4” respectively, occurred two days apart in 1982 and led to the deepest snow depth recorded locally. 

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/journal/top_twenty_snowfalls.html

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

21.1” in November 1985

Most impressive to me is that #3 and #4 on the list 20” and 17.4” respectively, occurred two days apart in 1982 and led to the deepest snow depth recorded locally. 

That second stat is seriously wild. Would love for something like that to happen during my lifetime

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

21.1” in November 1985

Yeah that's pretty wild.

#1 beat #2 by 7+ inches.  That is in contrast to the top storms for Chicago, where the top 4 or 5 are all pretty tightly clustered.

• Like 2

Been thinking on this today. Recently moved from 20 yrs in SWMI and over there, the magic number has a lot to do with whether you are in a LES region or further inland. Even at that, Battle Creek and a bit west into Kzoo county had 28-30" during that January 1967 storm, and that was not lake effect enhanced as winds were contrary. Then there's Jan of '78 where the winds were favorable for the lake to contribute and thus some 36" totals were seen. There was even a small region south of Jackson that scored 34" in the '78 monster, and nowhere near a great lake. Marshall had 22" in both of the Jan 26-27 biggies, so for them a 2-footer is "next level" but I feel a solid 30" storm, lake enhanced or not, is looming out there somewhere over the horizon. Just so tough to beat '78 where the lake added significantly to hardest hit regions.

Now for SEMI, they already hit the 24" mark way back when but I struggle with thinking that might repeat let alone something on the 30" magnitude. The Tri-cities region will get help off of Huron and Saginaw Bay with a strong NE fetch and there is historical news accounts that 30" fell during the 1857 blizzard. This I remember when reading in old newspaper accounts about the '67 bliz.  

4 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

21.1” in November 1985

I was a wx geek and remember the snow depth making national news. Same storms crossed NMI bringing insane depths there too. I just never did get the details on how exactly 2 big dogs hit so close together.

Another wild thing on that list is that (3) calendar years (1940,1982,1985) tally up 7 of the top 10 events. The same as Detroit, MSP's top 2 storms happened outside of traditional MET winter. Though you could argue November is much more likely to be a winter month there than down this way to the SE.

20 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

I was a wx geek and remember the snow depth making national news. Same storms crossed NMI bringing insane depths there too. I just never did get the details on how exactly 2 big dogs hit so close together.

Another wild thing on that list is that (3) calendar years (1940,1982,1985) tally up 7 of the top 10 events. The same as Detroit, MSP's top 2 storms happened outside of traditional MET winter. Though you could argue November is much more likely to be a winter month there than down this way to the SE.

Snow depth peaked at 38” 

As a weather geek I’d love to see it, as a home owner I’d be worried about my roof. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hlcater said:

This pattern is just brutal 

It's typical/seasonal late November weather. I get it's a complaint thread, but were not quite to "brutal".....................................................................................................yet.

• Like 2

I shouldn't be surprised, I guess...but the entire lower 48 has been devoid of winter so far...and it looks to continue through the next 10-15 days. Usually, you'll see winter showing its hand over the Rockies, Plains, and Upper Midwest...but it's a complete shutout.  Seems like everything is delayed by a month.

Meanwhile, Alaska is having a very cold November.  King Salmon, AK will probably have its coldest November on record by about 4F.

http://ak-wx.blogspot.com/2021/11/record-cold-november-in-places.html#comment-form

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

I shouldn't be surprised, I guess...but the entire lower 48 has been devoid of winter so far...and it looks to continue through the next 10-15 days. Usually, you'll see winter showing its hand over the Rockies, Plains, and Upper Midwest...but it's a complete shutout.  Seems like everything is delayed by a month.

Meanwhile, Alaska is having a very cold November.  King Salmon, AK will probably have its coldest November on record by about 4F.

http://ak-wx.blogspot.com/2021/11/record-cold-november-in-places.html#comment-form

Reminds me of Jan/Feb '94 in NMI. -25+ departures in the two coldest months (not autumn) is brutality to the body and useless in the sig snowfall dept. I'll take a hard pass on experiencing that again.