Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Sam

Jtm12180

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:
7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:
It's just flashes. The GLM is an optical instrument. Doesn't know what type of lightning. 

I'm not even sure why I typed CGs ( i.e cloud-to-ground). I wasn't even thinking CGs when I made the post. But, yes, just GLM remote sensing data.

Lol yeah. All good. We do some lightning forecast for an energy client in Ontario so I know a little about the differences. Yeah the CG stuff I believe is detected by the land based network. The GLM is better at night because of this. Less interference from the sun. 

NOAA2 recon is only about 120-150nm from Sam's eye now, that must make for an interesting and scary ride, there is no land for a very long distance.

Looking at Sam's position and projected track I would hope that there are no yotties leaving the islands for European destinations attm; Sam will be traversing the common sea routes. Sam is bad news even for the largest of ships, let alone the 30-100 foot boats used for the transatlantic crossings.

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That's the flight to sample the environment, while NOAA2 will sample the center. Not sure how many passes they will get given the distance from their takeoff location. 

NOAA9 had been haulin' ass at ~515kts at FL40+, just slowed down to 354kt and went up ~3Kft in alt. NOAA2 is just entering Sam's western periphery, much lower and slower.

• Like 1

First VDM

Product: NOAA Vortex Message (URNT12 KWBC)
Transmitted: 25th day of the month at 22:34Z
Agency: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Aircraft: Lockheed WP-3D Orion (Reg. Num. N42RF)
Storm Name: Sam
Storm Number & Year: 18 in 2021 (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission: Second flight of a sequence of non-tasked research missions into this system
Observation Number: 08 ( See all messages of this type for this mission. )

A. Time of Center Fix: 25th day of the month at 22:07:46Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 13.29N 48.58W
B. Center Fix Location: 742 statute miles (1,194 km) to the E (89°) from Bridgetown, Barbados.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,627m (8,619ft) at 700mb
D. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 945mb (27.91 inHg)
E. Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 120° at 9kts (From the ESE at 10mph)
F. Eye Character: Closed
G. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 9 nautical miles
H. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 111kts (127.7mph)
I. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 4 nautical miles to the W (273°) of center fix at 22:06:44Z
J. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 358° at 106kts (From the N at 122.0mph)
K. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 4 nautical miles to the W (273°) of center fix at 22:06:49Z
L. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 133kts (153.1mph)
M. Location & Time of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Outbound: 7 nautical miles to the E (95°) of center fix at 22:09:26Z
N. Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: From 177° at 127kts (From the S at 146.1mph)
O. Location & Time of the Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 9 nautical miles to the E (94°) of center fix at 22:09:53Z
P. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 10°C (50°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,055m (10,023ft)
Q. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 27°C (81°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,050m (10,007ft)
R. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 4°C (39°F)
R. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
S. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
S. Fix Level: 700mb
T. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.01 nautical miles
T. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 127kts (~ 146.1mph) which was observed 9 nautical miles to the E (94°) from the flight level center at 22:09:53Z