• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage

SnowenOutThere

Post your observations, picture and general fall foliage topics. You could also post things about fall in general but try to keep it to foliage. Thought it would be a good idea considering next week looks cooler and there is some slight colors on the trees already. Thanks to @Maestrobjwa for reminding me, I thought about this topic earlier in the week but just remembered after you mentioned it and better to make it sooner than later. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Post your observations, picture and general fall foliage topics. You could also post things about fall in general but try to keep it to foliage. Thought it would be a good idea considering next week looks cooler and there is some slight colors on the trees already. Thanks to @Maestrobjwa for reminding me, I thought about this topic earlier in the week but just remembered after you mentioned it and better to make it sooner than later. 

Thanks! Yeah just wanted to try and get an idea...(because every year by the time I think of it's the peak is already past, lol). A met on Twitter suggested that the second/third week of October would be the peak...anybody have any thoughts on that?

19 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Thanks! Yeah just wanted to try and get an idea...(because every year by the time I think of it's the peak is already past, lol). A met on Twitter suggested that the second/third week of October would be the peak...anybody have any thoughts on that?

Peak around these parts is usually late October and early November. Should be a nice color season too since trees weren’t stressed this summer. 

Early acorn drop at my little oak forest. Got to wonder if this is related to the cicada invasion, because the trees have really suffered flagging, (as it seems to be called), of twigs and dead leaves everywhere. It was not this bad 17 years ago, but I don't recall what the acorn situation was then anyway. Was wondering if anyone else has noticed the acorns. According to the cicada thread, the flagging is bad for oaks region-wide. 

Definitely some color starting to show around me. Maples, sassafras, sycamore, and walnuts mostly it seems. I’m cautiously optimistic this could be a good year for foliage based on what I see so far. Hope we don’t get too much rain and keep some cool nights going. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, Maestrobjwa said:

Now last year when I went out to Caroll County the day after election day...the color was just coming in full in Baltimore yet out there the peak already passed...was trying to avoid the same outcome this year! Does it go from west to east?

High to low, north to south typically. The species (predominant) in an area plays a role as well.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Thanks for sharing! I couldn't help but notice the SUV that seemingly wants to park in the building...lol. Talk about taking over half the sidewalk!

Yeah, parking in town here is tough especially during busy times, so we diagonal park in places that were probably meant for parallel just to squeeze in as many as possible.  Sometimes I worry someone will drive right into the brewery.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Yeah, parking in town here is tough especially during busy times, so we diagonal park in places that were probably meant for parallel just to squeeze in as many as possible.  Sometimes I worry someone will drive right into the brewery.

Does town get packed in the Fall with foliage seekers?

Decent number of leaves coming down this morning with the breeze while I was out on my birdwatching walk.  This warm/muggy interlude is probably going to sink our chances of a really great foliage season.  Still could be respectable though assuming the colors start popping when we get some cooler nights again starting next weekend.