• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL yeah I looked back at my pics from last fall and it seems to be on track, just a little behind of last year which was on the early side for sure.

It’s changing quicker as the days go by, some years are earlier than others but October is the peak time usually.  Later September to me is when you like color foliage mixed with green.  Once into October it’s “firing” on all cylinders (lame joke).

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It’s changing quicker as the days go by, some years are earlier than others but October is the peak time usually.  Later September to me is when you like color foliage mixed with green.  Once into October it’s “firing” on all cylinders (lame joke).

Hopefully my choice for Oct 1st through the 10th was a good one to come up. When I lived there it usually was the time. Good to see things seem on track.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I think that will be just fine. Seems on pace for peak in that window. 

Yeah another 10 days from now with a 10-day window…. OCT 1-10 seems like a great time to wander NNE for foliage.

The normal time frame.  Usually when the Columbus Day weekend crowds come it’s too late by that mid-October weekend… or it’s leaf drop mixed with 100% orange.  That post-peak orange that hangs around.

• Confused 1

My peak is around October 18th.  Every year is so different.  I think the best peak was 2016.  Everything peaked at once and it was brilliant.  Here is a drone video around our property from that day.  As you can see it was very dry, does drought help?  I don't know.  A big factor is how much wind precedes peak.  If it is windy, day after day as individual trees reach peak the leaves are blown right off.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

My peak is around October 18th.  Every year is so different.  I think the best peak was 2016.  Everything peaked at once and it was brilliant.  Here is a drone video around our property from that day.  As you can see it was very dry, does drought help?  I don't know.  A big factor is how much wind precedes peak.  If it is windy, day after day as individual trees reach peak the leaves are blown right off.

That's great. I've always enjoyed foliage most on overcast/grey days. To me, that helps it pop that much more. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 6:24 PM, MRVexpat said:

That's great. I've always enjoyed foliage most on overcast/grey days. To me, that helps it pop that much more. 

Today was one of those, but early in the season.  Another 10-14 days is probably in the sweet spot?  It's always hard to tell.  Peak designation varies if you consider green or not in "peak color" status.

The ceiling was 3,600ft so everything above that was in the clouds... the ridge was hiding above the moisture.

2L8A1799_edited-2-1.thumb.jpg.2812a35ed9b9a718debdf5b9812ecf83.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Still a lot of green but it's coming along.

Untitled.jpg.3354edf231a394de4dc8f60814501b30.jpg

It seems the best is going to be in the next week to 10 days - at least for those like me who like it when it's still somewhat "not uniformly red/orange" - and at least locally. Down in Conway still has a while to go, probably closer to Columbus Day 

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Best to me is when there are bright oranges and reds mixed with some deep greens. That's "peak" to me. Not quite there yet.

Once the quaking aspen and paper birch turn their rather boring shade of yellow, it's over, IMO.

Yeah I don’t like any green but I also don’t want it orange-washed.  I think there’s a period when it’s still red/yellow/orange but only conifers give a green color… that’s my peak.

It’s great cause everyone has slightly different opinions on peak foliage and all are valid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I don’t like any green but I also don’t want it orange-washed.  I think there’s a period when it’s still red/yellow/orange but only conifers give a green color… that’s my peak.

It’s great cause everyone has slightly different opinions on peak foliage and all are valid.

The trees are going to do what they want anyway regardless of what we all want. LOL

• Haha 1

Looks like we plan on being in the ADK's on the 2nd (Hopefully catching peak in the Lake Placid area although I wonder if that will actually be late this year) then over to VT. in VT I want to hit Nichols Pond and the Groton State Forest and of course Smuggler's Notch.

• Like 1

Those pictures look great! I need to get up north to check this out, but I'll wait my turn until it is snowing! In Newport our Fall Foliage is the complete opposite, with trees from so many places around the world, we have a few trees that start dropping leaves in late August and this continues into early December. The way to make it fun is to use this time of the year to learn more about the various trees. My backyard isn't that interesting, but the silver maple looses all its leaves, before the norway maple changes color. 

3 hours ago, eyewall said:

Looks like we plan on being in the ADK's on the 2nd (Hopefully catching peak in the Lake Placid area although I wonder if that will actually be late this year) then over to VT. in VT I want to hit Nichols Pond and the Groton State Forest and of course Smuggler's Notch.

I’m thinking of heading up this season. Never been before but drove through Vermont/NH last year after the peak and it was quite nice. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Best to me is when there are bright oranges and reds mixed with some deep greens. That's "peak" to me. Not quite there yet.

Once the quaking aspen and paper birch turn their rather boring shade of yellow, it's over, IMO.

In Fort Kent the aspen peaked well after the birch-beech-maple peaked.  The stark green-and-yellow stage was like a 2nd (though lesser) peak.   Better if there's bigtooth aspen mixed in, for some of the brightest orange in the woods.  

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Seems like the rainstorm jump-started things here. Starting to pop with some color now. Leaf peepers are up in droves. Main drag through Gorham is jammed. 

Yeah and the color seems more vibrant on these days with less light, more cloud cover.  Can’t even drive through the center of Stowe right now, tour busses, yikes.

I think after the cool shot later this week it’ll really accelerate.

Maybe the lack of a hard frost/freeze late in the season will be good for foliage.  They always say you want to avoid a hard freeze, best is cool but not frozen like this week should be.

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Top photo taken today, bottom taken last year on this date. We seem to be a bit behind this year, at least around here. The "drought" last year probably had something to do with it....

20210929_134404.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-143646_Gallery.jpg

Drought definitely helped. We had a cool shot mid September too I think. SNE will be on the later side this year. Once the 10/30 snow happened last year, even the oaks gave up early.