Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2021-22 Winter Discussion

Hoosier

17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Heaviest snowfall event this season was 5.0" on Jan 1st.  Heaviest last season was 6.3" on Jan 25-26th 2021, and the heaviest the previous season was 4.8" on Jan 17-18th 2020.  The previous two seasons had seasonal totals of 37.5"/34.7" which is above average.

We are long overdue for a medium to big dog though, we've been skirted the past 3 winters now.  

You are around 17"? What is your average?

I give this winter a solid D+. We have had all of 25.6" snow this winter at Madison. And most of that is from the three clippers in the end of january and from a couple weeks ago. We just now left the top 10 least snowiest winters list. We haven't even had a 6"+ snowfall this winter, barring anything weird happening in the next month. The only pluses about this winter were that what little snow we did have on the ground stayed around for quite a while with the cold January. And thanks to this winter's dryness we had an unusually sunny January, or at least it felt like that. And while yes 12/15 was an awesome storm that's going to be remembered for quite a while, it really sucked from a pure winter perspective. Overall just a cold, dry, incredibly boring winter. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Assuming no additional significant snowfalls, I guess I'll give the winter a C.

There were some things to like and some things to hate.  As far as things to hate, it was yet another pathetic December in what has been a string of them.  The two storms in February top the highlights, with a near footer and a very enjoyable 6" storm.  If you look at a map of seasonal snowfall, I am actually in one of the better locations in the LOT cwa, so I'm fortunate in some ways.

NW of that C means a D for my area. Plenty of cold air in Jan and February but any systems consistently slid SE with limited phasing. 22" on the season which is quite a bit below average. Frustrating to see near normal snow avgs a 30-45 min drive just SE

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

You are around 17"? What is your average?

We're at 18.8".  Around 35" is average for this area.

No warning criteria event, no-show December until near the end (again), an excruciatingly near miss with the event of the season followed by 12+ days of no weather to track, and seemingly every event taking a turn for the worse on the models in the last 12-36hrs before the event made this about as bad as winter as one can expect.  I guess if we got less than 18.8" it would have been worse, but since nearly 9" of that seasonal total happened within a weeks time (around New Years) the rest of the winter we received about 10".

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

We're at 18.8".  Around 35" is average for this area.

No warning criteria event, no-show December until near the end (again), an excruciatingly near miss with the event of the season followed by 12+ days of no weather to track, and seemingly every event taking a turn for the worse on the models in the last 12-36hrs before the event made this about as bad as winter as one can expect.  I guess if we got less than 18.8" it would have been worse, but since nearly 9" of that seasonal total happened within a weeks time (around New Years) the rest of the winter we received about 10".

Definitely a frustrating Winter for your area. Near misses bother me more than model failures. If I was in your shoes I'd probably give the Winter a D or D-. But we all grade differently lol. 

18 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Technically this season may not be over for any of us but at this point it's just the flash in the pan snows that come and go quickly.

That's very true for you guys, but up here tho, that would be a so-so call. Cold can linger a while longer here this time of year, but the sun angle still does its work during the aftrn, even if it's slowly. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brian D said:

That's very true for you guys, but up here tho, that would be a so-so call. Cold can linger a while longer here this time of year, but the sun angle still does its work during the aftrn, even if it's slowly. 

I imagine there end up being some extreme differences in remaining snowcover between areas that get full sun and areas that receive full shade