Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021-22 Winter Discussion

Hoosier

Noticing blocking tendencies on the gefs already. Interesting 

240 hr Euro was showing strong Greenland block for around the end of the month. Optimist in me says the trend is your friend. Pessimist says we’ll blow the goods before it’s time to use them and bring out the suicide booth gif for yet another brown Christmas.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, luckyweather said:

240 hr Euro was showing strong Greenland block for around the end of the month. Optimist in me says the trend is your friend. Pessimist says we’ll blow the goods before it’s time to use them and bring out the suicide booth gif for yet another brown Christmas.

You dont want cold in early October, every early October I can remember where it was cold and had snow ended up being a shitty winter. Bank that cold for later.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NTXYankee said:

Hoping for above normal temperatures and well below normal snowfall but, I live in Ohio so I’ll just prepare for another winter that goes from November to May.

Certainly wasn't the case last winter (or ever, really).

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, Gino27 said:

We had several inches of snow in late April last year

Doesn't change the fact that last spring was quite warm for most of the sub forum, including Ohio.

MAM21TDeptMRCC.png

Also, can I say last summer lasted until November since we had temps near 80 in early-mid November? If you may recall, last November was very warm.

Nov20TDeptMRCC.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wxisfun said:

Doesn't change the fact that last spring was quite warm for most of the sub forum, including Ohio.

MAM21TDeptMRCC.png

Also, can I say last summer lasted until November since we had temps near 80 in early-mid November? If you may recall, last November was very warm.

Nov20TDeptMRCC.png

Yellowknife is calling your name. Everyone here outside of a couple people want just snow, not snow and bitter cold.

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2021 at 8:04 AM, Frog Town said:

Those of us in the lower lakes region have to recognize this up coming system as about the perfect set-up for an epic winter storm....of course it's late September and we'll never get it to happen in January.   

October storms NEVER seem to repeat in January whereas November storms have a pretty good history of doing so. Tbh, September storms like we just had are such a rarity/oddity that I can't even guess at our odds of a repeat this winter but they have to be better than an October storm. After nearly 31 years I have returned to my native CWA here in SEMI. I'm exactly in the midpoint of Plymouth-Canton in Wayne cnty just about 8 miles NW of KDTW. Not really a big metro guy, but this works ok for me. Hopefully I've brought a magnet or luck charm or something with me lol. I moved to Traverse 9-5-90, and 2 months to the day I moved-in was greeted with a 15" concrete mixer storm at my new place. Was there in 96-97 for their snowiest winter of record (200+ mby). Then moved to South Bend that summer to escape such madness of endless white, just to rendezvous with blizzards in '98/99/00 there. Went to Marshall in '02 and got both 08-09 and 13-14 a virtual tie for snowiest/coldest winters in that region at an impressive 100" each. Both my parents were city of Detroit natives. I now reside exactly 20 miles west of where my grandparent's home was a century ago. Talk about full circles. Now my own memory of Detroit's "great winters" would include 74-75 with the December monster, 81-82 with at least 20" depth in much of the region, Jan '99 the last time KDTW reported a 24" depth OTG. Then ofc the more recent great seasons including the record-breaking 2013-14. Oh, and KDTX isn't afraid to issue a "watch", unlike my previous office. As for this week's rain storm, a winter version would've been more akin to the April 1886 2-footer than Jan '78, which shafted this area via the WTOD cutting snow totals in half for a few unlucky SEMI counties including Genesee where I was a youth at the time. Winds were still wicked but only worked with 8.5" of new snow and didn't really hold a candle to Jan of '67 for that region. I feel like I've moved to the least snowy place in my life, but obviously Detroit does have it's moments and I'm perfectly fine if another historical something wants to come around this winter. Pulling for SEMI again!  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

October storms NEVER seem to repeat in January whereas November storms have a pretty good history of doing so. Tbh, September storms like we just had are such a rarity/oddity that I can't even guess at our odds of a repeat this winter but they have to be better than an October storm. After nearly 31 years I have returned to my native CWA here in SEMI. I'm exactly in the midpoint of Plymouth-Canton in Wayne cnty just about 8 miles NW of KDTW. Not really a big metro guy, but this works ok for me. Hopefully I've brought a magnet or luck charm or something with me lol. I moved to Traverse 9-5-90, and 2 months to the day I moved-in was greeted with a 15" concrete mixer storm at my new place. Was there in 96-97 for their snowiest winter of record (200+ mby). Then moved to South Bend that summer to escape such madness of endless white, just to rendezvous with blizzards in '98/99/00 there. Went to Marshall in '02 and got both 08-09 and 13-14 a virtual tie for snowiest/coldest winters in that region at an impressive 100" each. Both my parents were city of Detroit natives. I now reside exactly 20 miles west of where my grandparent's home was a century ago. Talk about full circles. Now my own memory of Detroit's "great winters" would include 74-75 with the December monster, 81-82 with at least 20" depth in much of the region, Jan '99 the last time KDTW reported a 24" depth OTG. Then ofc the more recent great seasons including the record-breaking 2013-14. Oh, and KDTX isn't afraid to issue a "watch", unlike my previous office. As for this week's rain storm, a winter version would've been more akin to the April 1886 2-footer than Jan '78, which shafted this area via the WTOD cutting snow totals in half for a few unlucky SEMI counties including Genesee where I was a youth at the time. Winds were still wicked but only worked with 8.5" of new snow and didn't really hold a candle to Jan of '67 for that region. I feel like I've moved to the least snowy place in my life, but obviously Detroit does have it's moments and I'm perfectly fine if another historical something wants to come around this winter. Pulling for SEMI again!  

How did I miss this? Welcome back to SE MI! Hope your first winter back is a good one. What brought you back this way? I would argue the snow depths of 2014 were far more impressive than 1999 because of longevity. Official peak depth was 20" in 2014 but snow depths of 16-20" lasted 2 months whereas 1999 was incredible but a flash in the pan.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2021 at 10:58 AM, michsnowfreak said:

How did I miss this? Welcome back to SE MI! Hope your first winter back is a good one. What brought you back this way? I would argue the snow depths of 2014 were far more impressive than 1999 because of longevity. Official peak depth was 20" in 2014 but snow depths of 16-20" lasted 2 months whereas 1999 was incredible but a flash in the pan.

Several things. A change of life seasons, a new job, and a desire to live in a bigger city all came together in 2021. Thanks for the welcome back! Nothing will top 13-14 for Detroit proper, but elsewhere across SMI (like KBTL) for instance, 81-82 actually beat 13-14 in most snow depth categories, though interestingly, both had exactly the same max depth at 22"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:06 PM, RogueWaves said:

I didn't know you moved. What brought you over to the Detroit area?

EDIT: Never mind. I see your response above

• Like 1