Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021-22 Winter Discussion

Hoosier

1 minute ago, madwx said:

2nd year Nina climo would favor colder and wetter than last year but last year didn't really follow 1st year Nina climo rules.

Initial model trends do lean toward a weaker than average Stratospheric Polar vortex.

If you don't mind me asking, what does the second part mean? 

5 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what does the second part mean? 

Weaker stratospheric polar vortex means that there is a greater chance at polar intrusions into the mid latitudes since the polar night jet won't be as strong. There will be more of a negative Arctic Oscillation.

947_xlarge.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, madwx said:

Weaker stratospheric polar vortex means that there is a greater chance at polar intrusions into the mid latitudes since the polar night jet won't be as strong. There will be more of a negative Arctic Oscillation.

947_xlarge.jpg

guess we'll just have to get used to this as the Arctic sea ice goes bye bye and Greenland gets greener by the year

On 9/14/2021 at 4:40 PM, hlcater said:

Been spoiled locally the past few seasons. While I'd love for that to continue, we're due for a dud.

In Cedar Rapids we've had four straight winters with above average snowfall.  Two of the last three I've recorded 50", which is way above average and is a total we rarely reach.  We are definitely due for a 20" dud.

9 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Those of us in the lower lakes region have to recognize this up coming system as about the perfect set-up for an epic winter storm....of course it's late September and we'll never get it to happen in January.   

We would be buried, let this be a sign of the storm track for the winter though.

• Like 2