• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
RippleEffect

9 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This has to be one of the most boring stretches of weather we have had. Once the wind picks up Friday leaves are going to fall like crazy here on the uws. 

Doesn't sound like we're even getting much rain/t-storms on Friday now.  Some of the mets were hyping that up earlier in the week.

I know that no one seems as worked up about this as me, but is anyone else floored by the delay in fall foliage on LI?  While the trees that usually start hitting peak three weeks ago are starting to get there now, the trees that typically change later are ridiculously behind.  The oaks have barely begun to lose their leaves.  The maples have only now, in the last day or so, begun to show some color and drop a few dozen leaves.  I know these are among the trees which lose their leaves later, but still.

Anecdotally:  Anyone around LI remember trudging through leaves on Halloween afternoon as a kid?  There were virtually no leaves on the ground to speak of this year.  Also, typically by the weekend before Thanksgiving, if memory serves,  I can usually do my major fall cleanup and get the Christmas decorations out, with a few light rounds of touchup to follow.  We are easily 3 weeks away from that.   

Time on my hands today obviously.

Twenty years ago when I moved into my house on the North Shore of Long Island, the Dogwoods on my property would start the leaf raking season, by dropping all of their leaves just before Halloween.  Now they still have their leaves and are just starting to drop them.

I used to start raking in early October and end Thanksgiving weekend.  Now I'm starting in late October and going into Christmas weekend or later. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoggyO said:

Twenty years ago when I moved into my house on the North Shore of Long Island, the Dogwoods on my property would start the leaf raking season, by dropping all of their leaves just before Halloween.  Now they still have their leaves and are just starting to drop them.

I used to start raking in early October and end Thanksgiving weekend.  Now I'm starting in late October and going into Christmas weekend or later. 

wow really? I've always lived on the south shore and as far back as I can remember, Thanksgiving marks the time when all the leaves have fallen

I know that no one seems as worked up about this as me, but is anyone else floored by the delay in fall foliage on LI?  While the trees that usually start hitting peak three weeks ago are starting to get there now, the trees that typically change later are ridiculously behind.  The oaks have barely begun to lose their leaves.  The maples have only now, in the last day or so, begun to show some color and drop a few dozen leaves.  I know these are among the trees which lose their leaves later, but still.
Anecdotally:  Anyone around LI remember trudging through leaves on Halloween afternoon as a kid?  There were virtually no leaves on the ground to speak of this year.  Also, typically by the weekend before Thanksgiving, if memory serves,  I can usually do my major fall cleanup and get the Christmas decorations out, with a few light rounds of touchup to follow.  We are easily 3 weeks away from that.   
Time on my hands today obviously.

I’m in Morris County, NJ, but yes, this year is very late, even compared to last year. I assume this is due to the sheer, consistent amount of rain we had all year. For instance, my lawn has been bright green and beautiful through this week with minimal watering over the summer. This is even after a week of nighttime freezes.

The colors are pretty vibrant this year as well. My gut feeling is that everything is ten days late this year. The kids are usually kicking through leaf piles on Halloween, and that was diminished this year.

On the second photo, the amount of rain led to a bumper crop in walnuts from my black walnut trees.

28f6ce99e6708c8ee2246eb1e29d348c.jpg
e9d6d7f42337aa5a2b3455ef2e8d8dec.jpg

• Like 3

what do you guys think spiders think about all day while waiting for bugs

if you could invent tiny AirPods for spiders do you think they could evolve to listen to podcasts and books on tape?

if you were a spider what would you listen to on Spotify

why isn't the government answering these questions

10 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

if you could invent tiny AirPods for spiders do you think they could evolve to listen to podcasts and books on tape?

Smoking the good stuff tonight?

49 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Good evening Will. The web would never survive the wind. As always ….

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

if i was a deadly spider and some guy did a video handling me to show how "this species of spider rarely bites and is more likely to try to run and hide" i would bite the shit out of that prick let me tell you

I’d enjoy introducing you to our city council. As always ….

9 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

i don't smoke weed anymore it pretty much just makes me remember every mistake i ever made in my entire life, for 2 hours, and then i eat a cup of breadcrumbs in my kitchen at 1 am

Without the benefit of flora fun I’m trying to figure out how one easily eats a cup of breadcrumbs, As always …

• Like 1

if rclab was a spider what kind of spider would he be

i think he would be an orb weaver spider for sure, probably the most philosophical of all spiders.  in the genus Araneus.

but he would not be a brightly-colored orb weaver.  he would be a less-flashy orb weaver with colors that blend into his environment.

he would be the spider all the other spiders talk to for spider advice.

• Thanks 1

i went to the nov 2018 snowstorm thread for old model/radar images and came across this. lol

On 11/14/2018 at 7:35 AM, qg_omega said:

Nws has the right idea with less than one inch for NYC and the coast.  Coating to two inches to the NW and highest amounts above 1k feet

• Haha 4

• Rjay unpinned this topic