• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

Some lingering light snow falling and 35ºF. Wasn’t home for the heavier precip earlier but it looked to have been a light car topper here.

I did get my first official “roads caved” pic of the year at the top of Wopsy Mountain. Didn’t have a ruler with me but probably about 1.5” or so of wet snow up there in the grassy spots. Seemed like about 1500’ was where the switch flipped from a car topper to a coating+. There’s some light accumulation on the ridges east of Altoona as well. IMBY was just a couple hundred feet elevation too low for this one. Either way, good to see a wintry type event fairly early just getting to Mid-November. There was even some light WAA snow falling first thing this morning as well but temps were too warm. 

306DEA93-773A-4747-B5FA-DD9C2FF2991E.thumb.jpeg.2a113d186fe0fd247f751d6d65dff3dc.jpeg579322CC-9F57-4CC1-870E-FB0A35D35993.thumb.jpeg.825108da8ecfa9e8f13cd1492510fece.jpegDB26E2B6-A893-472E-9E1D-3B89900A3BA7.thumb.jpeg.fa06c28bec8ecd97716d86ba70a53459.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pretty amazing consistency on the GFS, CMC, Icon and Euro for this Thursday.  First three almost look identical while the Euro timing is slightly slower....a frontal system connected to a very large system in South Central Canada approaches while a strong South West wind sweeps upper 60 and low 70's temps (Mid 50 DP's) over the LSV.  The record that day is quite high at 76 so probably not reachable. 

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Pretty amazing consistency on the GFS, CMC, Icon and Euro for this Thursday.  First three almost look identical while the Euro timing is slightly slower....a frontal system connected to a very large system in South Central Canada approaches while a strong South West wind sweeps upper 60 and low 70's temps (Mid 50 DP's) over the LSV.  The record that day is quite high at 76 so probably not reachable. 

Does it cool down after the front?

44 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I heard rumor of some posts suggesting the NWS had a bad forecast there. 

Think they got a little overzealous. They were carrying a rain forecast for Sunday afternoon a few days out, then backed it to rain/snow. But with their AM update yesterday, they went all snow. When rates were good here, it fell as mostly snow, but that wasn’t the case in the city. It looks like there’s actually a 0.3 on the books for PIT. If I kept records, I’d be recording a T imby. 

9 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Think they got a little overzealous. They were carrying a rain forecast for Sunday afternoon a few days out, then backed it to rain/snow. But with their AM update yesterday, they went all snow. When rates were good here, it fell as mostly snow, but that wasn’t the case in the city. It looks like there’s actually a 0.3 on the books for PIT. If I kept records, I’d be recording a T imby. 

Maybe the school child snow day zealousness got hold of them.  There is always that issue of "wet snow" and how you tell the public.  A casual reader might see a snow forecast and cancel travel when the forecast is really snow and 36.  

25 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Maybe the school child snow day zealousness got hold of them.  There is always that issue of "wet snow" and how you tell the public.  A casual reader might see a snow forecast and cancel travel when the forecast is really snow and 36.  

Probably not a disaster when they weren’t really forecasting much accumulation anyway. Would guess the airport got its 0.3” between 4 and 5 when the temperature hovered between 32-33 and it was still snowing.

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Probably not a disaster when they weren’t really forecasting much accumulation anyway. Would guess the airport got its 0.3” between 4 and 5 when the temperature hovered between 32-33 and it was still snowing.

Yea, we are just nitpicking missing a snow forecast when it is near freezing.  Sun Angle, warm roads, etc....LOL

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Oh, this is AmWx and sun angle is a problem 24 hours a day it seems.  But I was saying it in jest.  Warm roads was another jest comment. 

If there’s even a peek of sunshine in the clouds, even if it’s Christmas and it’s 25 degrees, you can forget about any accumulation hanging around.

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

"I didn't even know you could tie in the NFL," Harris said. "In my mind, I was sitting on the bench saying, 'I've got another quarter to go.' But someone came to me and said, 'That's it.' I've never had a tie in my life before."

Wasn’t Donovan McNabb guilty of such ignorance of the rules at one point?

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Wasn’t Donovan McNabb guilty of such ignorance of the rules at one point?

Right you are.  

During the 2008 season, then-Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb famously didn't know that an NFL game could end in a tie. ... When his Eagles tied the Cincinnati Bengals during Week 11 of that season, it was the NFL's first tie in six years.

This is the second Steeler.  Jay Gruden on the list as well.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/steelers-lions-tie-najee-harris-history-mcnabb

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Right you are.  

During the 2008 season, then-Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb famously didn't know that an NFL game could end in a tie. ... When his Eagles tied the Cincinnati Bengals during Week 11 of that season, it was the NFL's first tie in six years.

Also a Steelers tie, blowing a 17 point lead to Atlanta in 2002.