• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

It’’s been a brutal weather day around here as temps fell into the mid 40s by lunch time with periods of rain and gusty winds that have occasionally topped 30mph. Mesowest showing some upper 30s temps in some of the higher Laurel’s locations.

The raw weather has definitely illustrated how warm this October had been to date (especially with min temps) that we’re pretty much seeing the coldest temps of the month (high or low) in the midst of the first major nor’easter of the fall/winter vs a clear, cold radiational cooling morning. Looking pretty likely we’re exiting October at the end of the week with not even a widespread frost much less any kind of hard freeze for any part of C-PA. It does appear that we could be quickly addressing those cold weather things (and perhaps more in some parts of PA) within the first week or so of November, though. 

It’s been a pretty wild month. Have to mention that NWS Pittsburgh now confirmed 11 tornadoes just in their CWA from that “marginal” severe threat last Thursday which has to be the most significant severe/tornado outbreak seen in that region for this time of the year. I can’t even think of a recent single severe event at any other point of the year that delivered so many tornadoes, and NWS Cleveland also had several confirmed as well. Might have been looking at May 31, 1985 similarities in terms of stronger tornadoes had that synoptic setup presented itself that time of the year (more heating/CAPE) 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

It’’s been a brutal weather day around here as temps fell into the mid 40s by lunch time with periods of rain and gusty winds that have occasionally topped 30mph. Mesowest showing some upper 30s temps in some of the higher Laurel’s locations.

The raw weather has definitely illustrated how warm this October had been to date (especially with min temps) that we’re pretty much seeing the coldest temps of the month (high or low) in the midst of the first major nor’easter of the fall/winter vs a clear, cold radiational cooling morning. Looking pretty likely we’re exiting October at the end of the week with not even a widespread frost much less any kind of hard freeze for any part of C-PA. It does appear that we could be quickly addressing those cold weather things (and perhaps more in some parts of PA) within the first week or so of November, though. 

It’s been a pretty wild month. Have to mention that NWS Pittsburgh now confirmed 11 tornadoes just in their CWA from that “marginal” severe threat last Thursday which has to be the most significant severe/tornado outbreak seen in that region for this time of the year. I can’t even think of a recent single severe event at any other point of the year that delivered so many tornadoes, and NWS Cleveland also had several confirmed as well. Might have been looking at May 31, 1985 similarities in terms of stronger tornadoes had that synoptic setup presented itself that time of the year (more heating/CAPE) 

Mentioning that date always gets my attention. I will never forget that day. (being 19, and not having the resources that we do now, I wasn't sure if I was going to survive that night or not.) Turns out there wasn't anything noteworthy that came through the areas SE of Harrisburg. But it was an anxious evening listening to my NOAA weather radio. 

Warmest month update....

MDT average temp sitting at 63.6/+6.8 now...a steady drop from the 65's last week.  Assuming 2007 is the warmest October, 62.0/+6.2 is the number to "beat" if this is to come in as the warmest October.  Looking at forecasted temps, the average will keep dropping as it looks like a lot of 55ish averages coming up.  

10 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

This time of year? I wouldn’t be shocked if it was one of the most significant outbreaks since 85. We had an ef2 which was borderline ef3 which is almost unheard of here.

also, how was the ball so horribly dropped on a watch? 

So far the only frost I had was on the 19th. At one point I didn't think I was going to see any frost in October.

Off topic: Got 4 deer bedded down in the field behind my house.

First time I have seen any deer since spring.

Looks like another big rain event this weekend.

widespread rainfall totals of 1-2" are expected
with steady rain falling over a period of 6-12 hours.

NWS: Temps will be a solid 5-8 deg F above normal lows for late October

3 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

.06" of rain, a low of 47, and some nasty northwest winds.  Also, Friday night trick or treat is looking more and more like a complete and utter washout.

I will NEVER understand Pennsylvania and its "hey let's do trick or treat on some random-ass day that's not Halloween!"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

I will NEVER understand Pennsylvania and its "hey let's do trick or treat on some random-ass day that's not Halloween!"

Adults sucking the fun out of everything. There was a big push in the early 2000s in Lancaster to rebrand the day at "Jesusween" and seeing the ads in the newspaper were bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Adults sucking the fun out of everything. There was a big push in the early 2000s in Lancaster to rebrand the day at "Jesusween" and seeing the ads in the newspaper were bizarre.

When I hear Jesusween, I have very NSFW images pop into my head. Good job, LanCo weirdos! 

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

As a child in the early to mid 1970s trick or treat was always on Friday if the 31st fell on a Saturday, and Monday if Halloween fell on a Saturday. Never heard of weekend trick or treating around my local area.

Yea, trick or treating was always on a weekday in the PA communities I lived...and Virginia.   No weekends.  In Florida it usually is the 31st regardless.