Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

12 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Pillow never ceases to amaze me.

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Its the most above and below average location in PA.  A combo of the warmest and coolest towns in the state.  Harrisford....or Bradburg.    Puts Coffin Rock to shame.   

It might even beat Thomasville for daily temperature swings. 

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Ah yes the 'ol Thomasville microclimate; the king of cold air inversions.

Dating myself here, but as a kid who was glued to his NOAA weather radio in the 1970s, I remember the temperature roundups each hour. I still hear Russ Jordan saying "currently, it's 12 in Harrisburg, Lancaster is 7, and in York...it's -2". I got a kick out of that as a kid and it's still cool today.

Literally. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Dating myself here, but as a kid who was glued to his NOAA weather radio in the 1970s, I remember the temperature roundups each hour. I still hear Russ Jordan saying "currently, it's 12 in Harrisburg, Lancaster is 7, and in York...it's -2". I got a kick out of that as a kid and it's still cool today.

Literally. 

HIA already kicking in back then? 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's been warmer than LNS and THV since I remember. Maybe not as pronounced as today, however. 

LNS sits in a bit of a valley like THV. (in case you weren't aware) 

I do remember Harrisburg always being the warmest or second warmest city in the state even when I lived in Philly.   Of course the 'Burg is cooler in certain situations but during heat waves and such it could be 96 in Philly and LNS and the 'Burg is punching 100.   I think Philly officially holds the highest average yearly temp though they have plenty of HIA there as well. 

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I do remember Harrisburg always being the warmest or second warmest city in the state even when I lived in Philly.   Of course the 'Burg is cooler in certain situations but during heat waves and such it could be 96 in Philly and LNS and the 'Burg is punching 100.   I think Philly officially holds the highest average yearly temp though they have plenty of HIA there as well. 

Did you grow up watching Herb Clarke? 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Did you grow up watching Herb Clarke? 

My dad was in the military so I grew up all over.   A lot in Central PA though.  Did not move to Philly until my 20's.  Herb was still there when I moved to Philly but he retired not long after my move. I remember John Bolaris.    Philly ran him out on a rail after a bad storm prediction.  In Philly you either win or move on. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

My dad was in the military so I grew up all over.   A lot in Central PA though.  Did not move to Philly until my 20's.  Herb was still there when I moved to Philly but he retired not long after my move. I remember John Bolaris.    Philly ran him out on a rail after a bad storm prediction.  In Philly you either win or move on. 

John is vilified. Mostly because of that prediction (which is a shame, I thought in general he was really good) but he also had a "vibe" around town that didn't sit well with a lot of people. 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

John is vilified. Mostly because of that prediction (which is a shame, I thought in general he was really good) but he also had a "vibe" around town that didn't sit well with a lot of people. 

He is out of Met now.  Got into a profession where he can make $$$$ in real estate.  He basically copied what Jim from The Office did. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paweather said:

Who was on Accu-Weather Philly was it Dave Roberts? 

When I was there is was a lot of King Elliott Abrams, Joe Bastardi and a few others.  Elliot always loved to douse the flame of weenies but pointing out how warm it was in NC, as storms came up the coast, as a warning that Philly was going to switch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

When I was there is was a lot of King Elliott Abrams, Joe Bastardi and a few others.  Elliot always loved to douse the flame of weenies but pointing out how warm it was in NC, as storms came up the coast, as a warning that Philly was going to switch. 

That's right Bastardi and Abrams! 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Dave was on ABC Channel 6, which was Accu Weather. 

For Accuweather and Philly, I just remember.  Kyw...Newsradio....1060.....with a background jingle.  Then some typing noises, the temp downtown as well as the time.  At that point and on the 15 min, if a storm was near, you would get a live update from the Accuweather met on call. 

Interesting history of that station.  It started in Chicago and moved to Philly.  That is pretty unique. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Personal life
Bolaris has one daughter, Reina, who he had with Tiffany McElroy, a former reporter. Bolaris is known in the Philadelphia media for being a "ladies man." He has been in relationships with Lauren Hart, Jane Robelot and Nicole Miller.[20]

In 2010, while in Miami, Bolaris was drugged and charged for $43,000 on his American Express card. Bolaris contacted the FBI, who connected Bolaris' story to a crime ring run by a bar owner. 17 arrests were made in connection with the crime ring. The story was the subject of investigations on ABC’s 20/20 and American Greed.[21][22]

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

For Accuweather and Philly, I just remember.  Kyw...Newsradio....1060.....with a background jingle.  Then some typing noises, the temp downtown as well as the time.  At that point and on the 15 min, if a storm was near, you would get a live update from the Accuweather met on call. 

Interesting history of that station.  It started in Chicago and moved to Philly.  That is pretty unique. 

"From Independence Hall...this is KYW... your news station ...1060 on your radio dial. Good morning, I'm Harry Donahue. Our engineer is Dave Bradfield. In the news at 10:00am, a major winter storm is bearing down on the Delaware Valley. We'll have a live report from Elliott Abrams in just a minute, but first here's Dave Carlson with traffic on the 2's..."

:) 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

"From Independence Hall...this is KYW... your news station ...1060 on your radio dial. Good morning, I'm Harry Donahue. Our engineer is Dave Bradfield. In the news at 10:00am, a major winter storm is bearing down on the Delaware Valley. We'll have a live report from Elliott Abrams in just a minute, but first here's Dave Carlson with shadow traffic..."

:) 

Awesome guys! Good Memory!