Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

This is all so very true. 

Still...Tucker is in another class. The guy is special. 

Very clearly the GOAT kicker. Why can’t the GOAT anything ever be an NFC player that the Steelers don’t have to play twice a year or see in the postseason?

3 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Very clearly the GOAT kicker. Why can’t the GOAT anything ever be an NFC player that the Steelers don’t have to play twice a year or see in the postseason?

Jut watched the highlights.   Surprised no one is pointing out out the refs missed a delay of game on the play before the kick.  2-3 seconds into the 0. 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Jut watched the highlights.   Surprised no one is pointing out out the refs missed a delay of game on the play before the kick.  2-3 seconds into the 0. 

Meh. If you don’t allow them to convert a 4th and 19, you don’t have to be at the mercy of the refs and the greatest kicker ever to play the game.

9 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Pretty common for refs to “allow” 1-2 seconds after the clock hits 0.   By the time they see it and then look back up and then reach into pocket to get flag etc, it takes that much time.  Count 2 seconds in your head.  1, 2.   It’s quick 

1 hour ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Pretty common for refs to “allow” 1-2 seconds after the clock hits 0.   By the time they see it and then look back up and then reach into pocket to get flag etc, it takes that much time.  Count 2 seconds in your head.  1, 2.   It’s quick 

They should stop the play even if the ball was snapped.  NFL apology upcoming,  It's the talk of the town this AM.   I only noticed it because the announcer counted it down and sat there in stunned silence as it stayed on zero so long. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

They should stop the play even if the ball was snapped.  NFL apology upcoming,  It's the talk of the town this AM.   I only noticed it because the announcer counted it down and sat there in stunned silence as it stayed on zero so long. 

Every week the refs miss a PI, holding call, roughing the passer it seems.   It’s part of the game.  Some calls go for you, others against.   What’s the solution? Allow challenges for every possible penalty and delay the games over petty fouls.   

30 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Every week the refs miss a PI, holding call, roughing the passer it seems.   It’s part of the game.  Some calls go for you, others against.   What’s the solution? Allow challenges for every possible penalty and delay the games over petty fouls.   

It's not my team that lost but this time, with the announcer counting down for the audience then sitting there quiet for 2-3 seconds, is sticking out like a sore thumb.  The only solution I can think of for this specific issue is what the NBA does and take the onus off the ref.  Have a sound go off.  Having the NFL apologize after every game, which is what happens now, is not the fix either.  All the other issues you mentioned were judgement calls by refs while this was a technical rule that was not applied. 

22 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It's not my team that lost but this time, with the announcer counting down for the audience then sitting there quite for 2-3 seconds, is sticking out like a sore thumb.  The only solution I can think of for this specific issue is what the NBA does and take the onus off the ref.  Have a sound go off.  Having the NFL apologize after every game, which is what happens now, is not the fix either.  All the other issues you mentioned were judgement calls by refs while this was a technical rule that was not applied. 

I’d be more pissed about it if my team was a contender and not a dumpster fire with no offensive line, a 39 year old QB who plays like he’s 60, and at least half a dozen injuries to key players just 3 weeks into the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know my opinion won't be popular, but I'll throw it in the discussion - 

Having been a passionate fan of all 4 of the major sports since the mid 1970s, I hate what replay has done to the game. Yes, getting calls right has added some level of fairness/justice to game outcomes, but I fell in love with sports when the human element was a big part of the whole mix. Fans would scream foul every week when a perceived injustice occurred, that was a part of the Monday morning cooler talk that I felt helped fuel the passion. So many things have been done in sports to shorten the length of games...when I was a kid, I would go hoping for the longest possible game ever. But over time, attention spans have shortened because younger fans today are too distracted to invest in the nuances of the game. And as a result, boredom comes quickly, fans check out, and the leagues are left to create ways to shorten their product. I personally feel they've gone about it the wrong way. 

Reducing the number of innings, keeping the clock running when a player is out of bounds, and other measures have removed strategy and watered down the sport. Fact is, most sports games today are LONGER than they were before such measures were implemented. Why? Because we pause 10 times a game for 5 minutes so we can review the previous play. If a replay review could be accomplished in 30 seconds, maybe I'd feel a little differently, but most aren't. 

I feel today that we're watching an inferior product. Less plays (action) because the clock is kept running now while keeping the overall length of games the same by adding all of the saved time back on by stopping for replays. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I know my opinion won't be popular, but I'll throw it in the discussion - 

Having been a passionate fan of all 4 of the major sports since the mid 1970s, I hate what replay has done to the game. Yes, getting calls right has added some level of fairness/justice to game outcomes, but I fell in love with sports when the human element was a big part of the whole mix. Fans would scream foul every week when a perceived injustice occurred, that was a part of the Monday morning cooler talk that I felt helped fuel the passion. So many things have been done in sports to shorten the length of games...when I was a kid, I would go hoping for the longest possible game ever. But over time, attention spans have shortened because younger fans today are too distracted to invest in the nuances of the game. And as a result, boredom comes quickly, fans check out, and the leagues are left to create ways to shorten their product. I personally feel they've gone about it the wrong way. 

Reducing the number of innings, keeping the clock running when a player is out of bounds, and other measures have removed strategy and watered down the sport. Fact is, most sports games today are LONGER than they were before such measures were implemented. Why? Because we pause 10 times a game for 5 minutes so we can review the previous play. If a replay review could be accomplished in 30 seconds, maybe I'd feel a little differently, but most aren't. 

I feel today that we're watching an inferior product. Less plays (action) because the clock is kept running now while keeping the overall length of games the same by adding all of the saved time back on by stopping for replays. 

100% on that. But I also think delay of game should be quite a bit more cut and dry and less of a judgment call than holding, pass interference, the spot of the ball after a play, late hits, balls, strikes, a foul in basketball, penalties in hockey, etc.

That said, I’ve heard a lot about how the play clock we see on TV is about as “official” as the yellow line to gain. We’ll see what comes of this, but an apology is hollow and it obviously wouldn’t overturn the Ravens’ win.

9 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

100% on that. But I also think delay of game should be quite a bit more cut and dry and less of a judgment call than holding, pass interference, the spot of the ball after a play, late hits, balls, strikes, a foul in basketball, penalties in hockey, etc.

That said, I’ve heard a lot about how the play clock we see on TV is about as “official” as the yellow line to gain. We’ll see what comes of this, but an apology is hollow and it obviously wouldn’t overturn the Ravens’ win.

Yes, agree with you 100%. Delay of game is not a judgment. It's snapped on time or it's not. 

Unless it's basketball which brings judgment back into it. When teams inbound the ball, the 5 second rule comes down to how methodically the official waves his hand through the air 5 times. I swear with some officials 5 seconds is actually closer to 10. :)  

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes, agree with you 100%. Delay of game is not a judgment. It's snapped on time or it's not. 

Unless it's basketball which brings judgment back into it. When teams inbound the ball, the 5 second rule comes down to how methodically the official waves his hand through the air 5 times. I swear with some officials 5 seconds is actually closer to 10. :)  

How former ref Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That's a nice sign...a lot nicer than we have over here in the historic district. 

So Rouzerville doesn't identify itself as a part of PA? :) 

Guess not.  We must be a federal town. I will tell you that coming down off South Mountain ther eis a speed trap where it goes from 55 to 40 so seeing that sign might distract you from the cop. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Guess not.  We must be a federal town. I will tell you that coming down off South Mountain ther eis a speed trap where it goes from 55 to 40 so seeing that sign might distract you from the cop. 

Did you run down the street to snap that picture or is it saved under My Favorites on your PC? :)

Anyway...doesn't sound like CTP thinks we'll be getting much rain at all...at least over this way. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Did you run down the street to snap that picture or is it saved under My Favorites on your PC? :)

Anyway...doesn't sound like CTP thinks we'll be getting much rain at all...at least over this way. 

I googled it.  LOL.  Its about 2 miles form my place on Route 16.

When I last looked at the Nam it was still some decent rain here but have to check again when I have time at lunch, 

• Like 1