Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

25 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We seem destined for our second Sept in a row with no 90's.  Scanned back to 2000 (MDT) and it was fairly common the first decade but then 7 Septembers in a row from 2013 to 2019 had 90's in Sept. 

Oct 2nd 2019 I had a high of 93.   Highest temp I’ve ever recorded that late 

I was scanning a color map of departures from normal, that dated back to 1900.

What was very apparent is from 1900 to 2000, there were a fair share of equal below and above normal departures from month to month.

The last 20 years, the above normals have well outpaced the below normal months and the departure from normal are much greater on the warm side.

Kinda scary when you look at it that way.

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

MDT matched you that day.  TimB will be unhappy if that happens this year. 

Somehow we escaped that stretch without a 90 at PIT or even a daily record. Still, it was miserable. 88, 85, 89 to start October. The 80 at PIT on 11/2/2016 also comes to mind, though it looks like that didn’t extend to central PA.

46 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I was scanning a color map of departures from normal, that dated back to 1900.

What was very apparent is from 1900 to 2000, there were a fair share of equal below and above normal departures from month to month.

The last 20 years, the above normals have well outpaced the below normal months and the departure from normal are much greater on the warm side.

Kinda scary when you look at it that way.

Definitely warmer recently but the HIA side of the temps seems to be part of it, right?  It was 45 in York this AM.  HIA and its surrounding area was 8 degrees higher. 

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is where you and I will always see things differently.  A dry period of a few days.  Sure, carry on.  A dry period of 45 days?   That is moon weather.    Fortunately, from my view, Wed looks quite wet as of now. 

By “dry”, I just meant a period of below normal precip, not completely devoid of precip!

16 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol…But, I thought extreme temperatures only were happening in recent years….! What was going on back then?

Lots of extremes in different years but the "averages" are definitely up recently.  That was an odd year in 1941.   That is an extreme example.  After October 7th the next closest temp is 8 degrees away. 

36 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Lots of extremes in different years but the "averages" are definitely up recently.  That was an odd year in 1941.   That is an extreme example.  After October 7th the next closest temp is 8 degrees away. 

Yes, there is no denying that the planet has been in a warm period in recent decades. 

The question is will it continue? Will it cycle back to normal or below at some point in future decades? Time will tell the story eventually.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, paweather said:

This one:

61lFgzIbVcL._AC_SL1117_.jpg

This is the Ambient 2902-C.  It is actually the fourth iteration (generation) of the 2902.  I own a first-gen 2902.  Then came versions A, B, and finally C.  All four versions use the same remote boom assembly.  I'm not aware of any hardware changes Ambient made.  There were firmware updates that came out that addressed minor issues with the console.  The console's display layout remained the same for the first 3 generations. Version C has the totally rearranged new layout.  I like it because they enlarged the wind display and put it in the upper left corner making it easier to see.  One significant change was made with the model B when they introduced the ability to have the console receive the transmissions from up to 7 additional thermo/hygro sensors.  The local console was unable to display that data from sensors 2>8.  Instead the console, after receiving the wireless transmissions from the extra sensors, would upload those values to Ambient's weather servers (in real time, every 60 seconds) where you could view/access them through either your web browser or through a phone app.  The extra sensors are very inexpensive and range in price between $10 to $15 apiece depending on quantity purchased.  There are lots of things you can do with the extra sensors, like monitoring temp/humidity in any number of indoor locations. A few great locations are basements and attics. Then you could follow those readings in real time, remotely anywhere over any internet-connected device.  I don't believe the local console gives any indication that it is receiving the additional sensor transmissions.  Instead you will find out when you access your data from Ambient.Net.  The mobile phone in the picture above is running the ambient weather app.  One of the best features of this weather station is its ability to let you change the calibration of all the major data items which includes indoor and outdoor temp and humidity; barometer; wind direction and speed; rainfall.  I'm not sure if the calibration can be changed on the supplemental thermo/hygro sensors 2>8.  I strongly recommend this weather station as it is among the least expensive on the market and has remarkable accuracy across all parameters.

23 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@paweatherI think @Voyagerhas the same one that I do. 

@paweather...each of you would have the same model outdoor boom assembly.  The difference is that @Voyager has the WS-2000 which has the exact same boom assembly, but an upgraded color LED display.  With the WS-2000 I believe that display is capable of showing sensors 2>8 if you have them connected.  I'm not certain about this so definitely check with Ambient customer service to confirm.

22 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

There's really nothing to "put together" - you'll want to consider buying 2 additional things however. I bought a 10' wooden post at Home Depot and sunk that a few feet into the ground. I also ordered a piece of steel pipe directly from Ambient. I clamped that to the wooden post, then mounted the station itself off the pipe. If you go to YouTube and search the Ambient Station, you'll find videos on how different people installed there stations. You'll need to find what works best for you. Just remember to try and find an area out of direct sunlight (obviously) yet as far away from structures as you can get...and the higher, the better to get some accuracy in wind speed. My yard does not allow that, I knew going in that was a sacrifice I would need to make.

My station is between 10 and 15' off the ground. Ideally you'd want it a little higher, again, that's for the wind aspect. 

@ItstrainingtimeForgive me, but I need to correct you on the temperature placement issue you mention.  You actually want to do the exact opposite.  The boom assembly is made specifically to be placed in full sun with minimal to no shade during the course of the day.  The temperature/humidity sensor is housed in a multi-plated plastic enclosure called a radiation shield.  If you want to follow NWS guidelines and take measurements exactly the same way that they do, you need full sun exposure.  The ASOS stations are set up the same way, and so are the sensors in units all around the globe that adhere to the guidelines of the World Meteorological Organization.  The NWS temperature and dew point sensors are all housed in the same type of radiation shield and are placed to receive 100% full sun for each day and never any shade.  Furthermore, for the most accurate temp/humidity readings the boom assembly should be mounted exactly 2 meters above the ground.  I understand the dilemma of the reduced wind readings because of how close to the ground the sensors are placed.  The shield eliminates the warming effects of solar radiation while still allowing air to passively move through the shield, producing a reading that technically is in the shade while also in the sun at the same time.  By placing your sensors in the shade you set yourself up for under-recording the maximum temperature every day.  This is especially true on sunny days with little to no wind.  The radiative effects are naturally minimized on days with sustained winds of >10 mph (approx).  Finally, the UV and solar radiation measurements from the boom assembly are only accurate when the sun is shining on it.  If you place your boom in the shade you will never have accurate UV and solar radiation readings during the daytime.

22 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The direct sunlight issue has always been my problem.  

@Bubbler86 >>See immediate post above<<

@paweather - I think you'll end up pleased with your investment. Not sure what you've had to this point, but getting a weather station several years ago really upped my appreciation for weather events. It's "fun" tracking rain now...beyond total amount, you can now get accurate rates per hour, per event, per day, etc. Same thing with temperatures...again, keep the sensor in the shade as much as you can. 

***please don't if you're a stickler for data accuracy.  Temperature accuracy is more important than wind...imho.***

I sacrificed the wind to get the accurate temp reading. My station is only about 20' behind my house...but it's fully shaded save for a very brief period of time in the early evening when the high for the day has usually occurred anyway. 

>>you've got it partly right<<:)

My comments are not meant to be judgmental in any way.  You can do whatever you want with your weather stations.  I share this information only to help improve your station's data accuracy!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, there is no denying that the planet has been in a warm period in recent decades. 

The question is will it continue? Will it cycle back to normal or below at some point in future decades? Time will tell the story eventually.

That type of question is dangerous though, because the human lifespan is such that if we write it off as being possibly cyclical and “just a phase”, most of us probably won’t live long enough to know for sure if that’s true. 

44 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That type of question is dangerous though, because the human lifespan is such that if we write it off as being possibly cyclical and “just a phase”, most of us probably won’t live long enough to know for sure if that’s true. 

I don’t think any question is ever “dangerous”. Questions are how we learn and we make progress.

No one knows all of the answers in regard to the future. This planet has obviously been around for a very long time, and will be here well beyond how ever many years that our lives will last.

No one should write anything off, but no one has all of the answers either.

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I don’t think any question is ever “dangerous”. Questions are how we learn and we make progress.

No one knows all of the answers in regard to the future. This planet has obviously been around for a very long time, and will be here well beyond how ever many years that our lives will last.

No one should write anything off, but no one has all of the answers either.

Yeah, “dangerous” might have been a little harsh. Perhaps I meant “tricky.” It’s a conundrum.

• Like 1