Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The whole rain amount issue from yesterday is bugging the heck out of me. It's time to let it go now.

It's a gorgeous day with more to follow! 

It bugs me because I have to report it for job sites.  With NWS going officially at their number, that is the number I went with. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

It bugs me because I have to report it for job sites.  With NWS going officially at their number, that is the number I went with. 

I understand and empathize with you. 

How can there be such a disparity in numbers? If we were talking tenths of an inch I'd sort of understand. But how does MDT receive over 2" less than the town it sits on the outskirts of? 

This wasn't some isolated thunderstorm. 

6 minutes ago, paweather said:

Yeah wait for snow amounts. 

I really don't care what the airport receives, with snow it's all about my backyard. (and the front for that matter :)) I honestly don't care about rain either, but what the NWS is reporting for MDT doesn't fall in line with the town it's situated in. And it's not even remotely close. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I understand and empathize with you. 

How can there be such a disparity in numbers? If we were talking tenths of an inch I'd sort of understand. But how does MDT receive over 2" less than the town it sits on the outskirts of? 

This wasn't some isolated thunderstorm. 

And the simulated radar is also wrong/different.   No one says that simulation is perfect but its off by over 2" for a wide area.  Its a mess. 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

And the simulated radar is also wrong/different.   No one says that simulation is perfect but its off by over 2" for a wide area.  Its a mess. 

Given Canderson's report, it definitely gives pause when considering what MDT reported. 

On the flipside, all of the Coop reports were completely in line with what I reported. (Including Middletown and Harrisburg)

As you said, it's a big mess and at this point...it's going to remain that way. 

14.69" is my official monthly total. Period. :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, canderson said:

Always a chance my gauge had something go amiss like wind moved rain away or something. But the puddle in front of the garage wasn't anything major like it can be with 3"+. 

i have never hit water like i did yesterday morning on Cameron street just prior to Elmerton. You couldn't see it. if someone in a car hit that, they would have wrecked, then more standing water in the left turn lane onto Elemerton. Makes me wonder their recent paving job didn't come into play there?

4 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i have never hit water like i did yesterday morning on Cameron street just prior to Elmerton. You couldn't see it. if someone in a car hit that, they would have wrecked, then more standing water in the left turn lane onto Elemerton. Makes me wonder their recent paving job didn't come into play there?

That rain around that time was crazy heavy ... but it didn't do too much except stay light otherwise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paweather said:

I got the ambient it is coming Monday now I just need to try and put it together.

There's really nothing to "put together" - you'll want to consider buying 2 additional things however. I bought a 10' wooden post at Home Depot and sunk that a few feet into the ground. I also ordered a piece of steel pipe directly from Ambient. I clamped that to the wooden post, then mounted the station itself off the pipe. If you go to YouTube and search the Ambient Station, you'll find videos on how different people installed there stations. You'll need to find what works best for you. Just remember to try and find an area out of direct sunlight (obviously) yet as far away from structures as you can get...and the higher, the better to get some accuracy in wind speed. My yard does not allow that, I knew going in that was a sacrifice I would need to make.

My station is between 10 and 15' off the ground. Ideally you'd want it a little higher, again, that's for the wind aspect. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

There's really nothing to "put together" - you'll want to consider buying 2 additional things however. I bought a 10' wooden post at Home Depot and sunk that a few feet into the ground. I also ordered a piece of steel pipe directly from Ambient. I clamped that to the wooden post, then mounted the station itself off the pipe. If you go to YouTube and search the Ambient Station, you'll find videos on how different people installed there stations. You'll need to find what works best for you. Just remember to try and find an area out of direct sunlight (obviously) yet as far away from structures as you can get...and the higher, the better to get some accuracy in wind speed. My yard does not allow that, I knew going in that was a sacrifice I would need to make.

My station is between 10 and 15' off the ground. Ideally you'd want it a little higher, again, that's for the wind aspect. 

Thanks I have a fence in my backyard.