Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

47 minutes ago, MrFreeze6298 said:

Yes normal it is the rocky mountain

COFFIN ROCKS

Clinton County

1921:   A 60-foot Aermotor tower erected.

March 8, 1926:   "Those who claim to know, say the view obtained from this tower is one of the best in the state.  For an unbroken expanse of wooded landscape, this view is unsurpassed.  From Snow Shoe towards the southwest to the Bald Eagle mountain below Jersey Shore, one can scarcely find an open field.
      The tower takes its name from a large coffin-shaped rock in the vicinity of the tower.  It overlooks the Tangascootic creek and the Scootuc country, and the scene of extensive coal and clay operations.  Evidence of these operations are still visible on the ground.
      The tower is best reached from Renovo by taking the mountain road, which leaves the township road just west of Pete's run, and continuing on to the forks of the Beech Creek and Snow Shoe roads.  At this point signs will direct one to the tower, which can be reached by auto.  This sixty-foot tower was built in 1921 and stands at a ground elevation of 2,325 feet, according to the United States geological survey.
      It the tourist wishes to avoid a descent to the streams north of south of the tower, he had better bring his drinking water with him."   (Lock Haven Express)

June 1, 1939: The tower at Coffin Rocks has been raised in height from sixty feet to eighty-six feet.  (The Wellsboro Agitator)

1985:   Lookout destroyed in a tornado.

1987:   A 93-foot Aermotor steel tower erected, includes wrap around catwalk.

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

COFFIN ROCKS

Clinton County

1921:   A 60-foot Aermotor tower erected.

March 8, 1926:   "Those who claim to know, say the view obtained from this tower is one of the best in the state.  For an unbroken expanse of wooded landscape, this view is unsurpassed.  From Snow Shoe towards the southwest to the Bald Eagle mountain below Jersey Shore, one can scarcely find an open field.
      The tower takes its name from a large coffin-shaped rock in the vicinity of the tower.  It overlooks the Tangascootic creek and the Scootuc country, and the scene of extensive coal and clay operations.  Evidence of these operations are still visible on the ground.
      The tower is best reached from Renovo by taking the mountain road, which leaves the township road just west of Pete's run, and continuing on to the forks of the Beech Creek and Snow Shoe roads.  At this point signs will direct one to the tower, which can be reached by auto.  This sixty-foot tower was built in 1921 and stands at a ground elevation of 2,325 feet, according to the United States geological survey.
      It the tourist wishes to avoid a descent to the streams north of south of the tower, he had better bring his drinking water with him."   (Lock Haven Express)

June 1, 1939: The tower at Coffin Rocks has been raised in height from sixty feet to eighty-six feet.  (The Wellsboro Agitator)

1985:   Lookout destroyed in a tornado.

1987:   A 93-foot Aermotor steel tower erected, includes wrap around catwalk.

This is a place to study and it would be cool to have a picture of the weather station

1 minute ago, canderson said:

You can see it here:  https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/ed47c97ebe7246868ce8ef3e7139a0b4

It's a standard fire tower. Nothing unique. 

Coffin Rock(s) is our first entry for "Short Pump Name of the Season Winner."  I have the unofficial popularity tally for summer showing the following ranks. 1) Pillow, 2) Palouse, 3: Paw Paw, 4) Todd, PA.  

I feel like I am fogetting one or two. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Coffin Rock(s) is our first entry for "Short Pump Name of the Season Winner."  I have the unofficial popularity tally for summer showing the following ranks. 1) Pillow, 2) Palouse, 3: Paw Paw, 4) Todd, PA.  

I feel like I am fogetting one or two. 

Coffin Rock shouldn't count IMO since it's not a place - it's in Renovo. It's just the local name of a part of the mountain I think. 

You can see the weather radar on Google Maps. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x89ce87f4692cbf39:0xab2b90263fb6df31!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMbWi3XcRPt8odGpCu77jdKXiEo7KB2RUh_0fU%3Dw650-h218-n-k-no!5scoffin+rock+pa+-+Google+Search!15zQ2dJZ0FRPT0&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipMbWi3XcRPt8odGpCu77jdKXiEo7KB2RUh_0fU&hl=en

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

I guess we have to let the community decide how much it carries on.  The fact that the rock(s) looks like Coffin's vs. making people go into Coffins does take some shine off.