Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

So far, full sun here...she's cooking...

I say that, but there is a nice breeze. It doesn't feel that bad at all outside. 

Very breezy here as well.  And DP's are in the upper 60's so not as bad as it could be.  Not great though.  Down to 74 now.  Looks like S/E PA is the only area not fairly cloudy and/or hazy right now.

image.png.6e56feac9802b740570677d4726318d3.png

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The 84 on that map...is literally 1 mile down the road from me. 

84.4 here now...was 83.7 when I last reported the 84 reading. 

Those wundermaps always back up your readings.  You are just high compared to most readings at noon (Canderson does not count if he is in the concrete jungle).   You have in county temps 5  degrees lower with no rain.   As you can tell this strange heat phenomena is intriguing to me. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Those wundermaps always back up your readings.  You are just high compared to most readings at noon (Canderson does not count if he is in the concrete jungle).   You have in county temps 5  degrees lower with no rain.   As you can tell this strange heat phenomena is intriguing to me. 

It's intriguing to me as well - you would not think of my area as a heat island in any way whatsoever...not sure why this has been happening repeatedly. 

Nut just posted an 80 in Elizabethtown - much more urban area than mine, just a few miles up the road, and yet somewhat significantly cooler. E-town is at a higher elevation, but not THAT much. 

Classic UHI just after sunset. It gets clearer and clearer that MDT is just a bad place to take observations. 

The ideal solution which is not expensive is to place 4 or 5 automated stations within a 10 mile radius of airport observations, and include their observations in a probabilistic model to come up with a 95% probability interval of actual temperatures within that radius which can expand outward based upon confidence in reporting stations for a larger square mile radius. But hell if I know how to communicate that with a public that doesn’t know mean or median. I can’t imagine an instant where any branch of government actually had the forward looking perspective and discipline to plan putting all weather stations in UHI due to my time working in what is arguably the most important government function, revenue. Incompetence is the rule that seems to be golden.

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

In 30 minutes time the sky has gone from clear (with haze) to nearly 100% overcast...in fact, it was sprinkling a few minutes ago. My temp is down to 78.8

Good gravy.  A 5-6 degree drop.  Nut is the hot spot now!  :-).  Welcome to the club.  78 here as well but no rain.