Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Fall 2021

canderson

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Highs in the 60's for several days would put MDT into the mid negatives even with night time lows not being so low.  That would be 10-15 departures for highs.  There are 3 on the 6Z GFS for MDT but there were a few more on the 18Z last night.  

I'll take a -8 September!

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Probably semi-comparable to Feb. 2015.

At MDT the high temp that month was 42 and you can assume off the summaries that all precip that fell, 1.09" worth, was snow.  11.2" total. 13 days the temp fell below 10 at MDT.  Cannot imagine what the real temps were for the out of city folks. 

25 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

At MDT the high temp that month was 42 and you can assume off the summaries that all precip that fell, 1.09" worth, was snow.  11.2" total. 13 days the temp fell below 10 at MDT.  Cannot imagine what the real temps were for the out of city folks. 

I remember this February because the guy in the office next to mine had baseboard electric heat and had a $1200 electrical bill or something insane, and it still didn't keep his house above 60. 

Might have to consider designating the Low Lands of the LSV area their own microclimate as I saw the comments about mid 80's to 90 today and just came back in from a 78 degree walk out to get the mail.  Checked Wunderground and that same area all summer is getting hotter than areas to their North, South, East and West.  78-82 at all reporting stations on the Mason Dixon right now. 

image.thumb.png.bf9ce52479d825e3fc83ddd010bc5d9d.png

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Might have to consider designating the Low Lands of the LSV area their own microclimate as I saw the comments about mid 80's to 90 today and just came back in from a 78 degree walk out to get the mail.  Checked Wunderground and that same area all summer is getting hotter than areas to their North, South, East and West.  78-82 at all repotting stations on the Mason Dixon right now. 

87.2 here now. Well represented by the map you posted. At least the breeze is quite pleasant. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

87.2 here now. Well represented by the map you posted. At least the breeze is quite pleasant. 

Its peculiar and the thing that bothers me is that no model is representing it in any way.    The modeled temps all match up well with what is being shown in Franklin, Adams, Central and Southern York, Central and Southern Lancaster, etc....headed for a high today of 83-85.  It truly does seem like the people, concrete, and traffic are artificially raising Temps around and slightly to the South of Harrisburg.  Its only 81 at my parents house in Valley Green right now.    Outside the Harrisburg Metro hot zone apparently. 

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Its peculiar and the thing that bothers me is that no model is representing it in any way.    The modeled temps all match up well with what is being shown in Franklin, Adams, Central and Southern York, Central and Southern Lancaster, etc....headed for a high today of 83-85.  It truly does seem like the people, concrete, and traffic are artificially raising Temps around and slightly to the South of Harrisburg.  Its only 81 at my parents house in Valley Green right now.    Outside the Harrisburg Metro hot zone apparently. 

13 minutes ago, paweather said:

82 here.

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just having been in Palmyra last week I would definitely not consider you part of the 'Burg Metro Hot Zone.  Slow goings in town. 

Trust me, where I live is much more rural than Palmyra...at least in the town of Palmyra itself. I'm not in an urban area in any way. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Trust me, where I live is much more rural than Palmyra...at least in the town of Palmyra itself. I'm not in an urban area in any way. 

Lots of places on that blob I drew are more rural BUT are south of Harrisburg in some manner.  Almost like the typical prevailing winds carry it in a semi circle out from the city for a bit until the effect is lost.   Just a thought but its been fairly consistent this summer.  Last summer you and I were fairly close on temps but not at all this summer (most days).   I only hit 90 one day during the August hot stretch.  

52 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Might have to consider designating the Low Lands of the LSV area their own microclimate as I saw the comments about mid 80's to 90 today and just came back in from a 78 degree walk out to get the mail.  Checked Wunderground and that same area all summer is getting hotter than areas to their North, South, East and West.  78-82 at all reporting stations on the Mason Dixon right now. 

81 here currently @ 1:45

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Lots of places on that blob I drew are more rural BUT are south of Harrisburg in some manner.  Almost like the typical prevailing winds carry it in a semi circle out from the city for a bit until the effect is lost.   Just a thought but its been fairly consistent this summer.  Last summer you and I were fairly close on temps but not at all this summer (most days).   I only hit 90 one day during the August hot stretch.  

There has been a remarkable difference this summer - 45 days above 90 here, several days in August that were above 95. I recalibrated my station after it needed new parts...I have to believe it's accurate as I've been spot on with the Wunderground stations around me. 

Other odd thing is that I'm SW of Harrisburg, and on most of the hot days the wind direction has been S or SW...coming from the opposite direction of Harrisburg from my location. (mostly blowing straight from the total boondocks of daxx-land in East Prospect)