Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western PA/Pittsburgh Fall Weather Discussion

Ahoff

1 minute ago, PghPirates27 said:

This was not that far off. Not bad for being 13 days out......

Indeed. Something tells me it won’t be 38 and rainy this afternoon. In fact, depending on how things shake out, it’s still on the table that we could be rolling into mid-October with just two days that didn’t reach 70 (the day of Ida and last Thursday), though I’m guessing we fall short at least once in the upcoming week.

10 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

This weather the next week is disgusting. Yeah, beautiful last week but no lows under 60 for like the next week and summer like humidity?

absolutely brutal.

Agreed, leaf peeping is to be done in jeans and a light jacket, not shorts and flip flops.

10 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

This weather the next week is disgusting. Yeah, beautiful last week but no lows under 60 for like the next week and summer like humidity?

absolutely brutal.

Agreed. It’s an ugly week ahead. Thing is, a week-long stretch in October where the temperature doesn’t drop below 60 looks to be about a 30 year event (happened only a handful of times in the records). If it happens this week, that will be twice in the last 5 years (8 day stretch in 2017).

5 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

For what's it worth, I saw a wholly caterpillar, it was dead, I may or may not have run part of it over with my car, doesn't matter, but it was all black.

I haven't seen an all black one in a long time, couldn't remember when.

Saw an all black one while walking the dog last week, then a black one with a brown band in my driveway on Saturday.

Don’t those things cause skin rashes?

22 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Agreed. It’s an ugly week ahead. Thing is, a week-long stretch in October where the temperature doesn’t drop below 60 looks to be about a 30 year event (happened only a handful of times in the records). If it happens this week, that will be twice in the last 5 years (8 day stretch in 2017).

Dropped below 60 this morning.

54 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, that was a surprise, but a nice one.

October 2021, where a +8 anomaly on the low temperature is a pleasant surprise for those who enjoy fall.

Still quite foggy here, hopefully that holds our high temperature back a bit and my a/c doesn’t have to kick on again today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TimB84 said:

October 2021, where a +8 anomaly on the low temperature is a pleasant surprise for those who enjoy fall.

Still quite foggy here, hopefully that holds our high temperature back a bit and my a/c doesn’t have to kick on again today.

Update: it kicked on at 1:33 pm. This pattern is getting ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

You must have a low threshold.  It's actually been very pleasant in the house for a few weeks now.

It’s set at 72. It’s always a matter of debate whether to open the windows at night, and it may have been possible last night if not for the high dewpoints.

I'm usually very disappointed in this weather pattern during average circumstances but extra disappointed now.  Had ankle surgery 2.5 weeks ago and am sleeping in our sunniest (read, "warmest") room so I don't bother my wife.  I like it cold but our Goldie Locks 10mo old won't sleep if it's not 68-72F even after putting a ceiling fan in the room.

Can't turn on the AC or I freeze the family out and I can't rely on opening the windows to cool my recovery room because it's the same dang temp outside.  Really hoping we don't jump from 70s to 40s too, it'd be nice for some Fall weather.

Adding -> Last week was perfect, only times I couldn't open a window was when the neighbors were having those perfect Fall evening campfires since capping kept smoke around overnight.

44 minutes ago, dj3 said:

No cold fronts on the horizon for at least the next week judging by my point and click. I guess nothing else to do but take advantage of the warmth and get in some more outdoor activities. 

Signals seem to be that the pattern might start to break down somewhere around the weekend of the 16th, but can we really count on that?

My point and click doesn’t contain a temperature or a dewpoint lower than 58.

38 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Signals seem to be that the pattern might start to break down somewhere around the weekend of the 16th, but can we really count on that?

My point and click doesn’t contain a temperature or a dewpoint lower than 58.

I guess if we're stuck under a ridge I'd rather have it now than in December. 

1 hour ago, donyewest said:

I'm usually very disappointed in this weather pattern during average circumstances but extra disappointed now.  Had ankle surgery 2.5 weeks ago and am sleeping in our sunniest (read, "warmest") room so I don't bother my wife.  I like it cold but our Goldie Locks 10mo old won't sleep if it's not 68-72F even after putting a ceiling fan in the room.

Can't turn on the AC or I freeze the family out and I can't rely on opening the windows to cool my recovery room because it's the same dang temp outside.  Really hoping we don't jump from 70s to 40s too, it'd be nice for some Fall weather.

Adding -> Last week was perfect, only times I couldn't open a window was when the neighbors were having those perfect Fall evening campfires since capping kept smoke around overnight.

Last week was perfect with crisp mornings and sunny warmish afternoons. Hope you have a fast recovery. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, Ahoff said:

For what's it worth, I saw a wholly caterpillar, it was dead, I may or may not have run part of it over with my car, doesn't matter, but it was all black.

I haven't seen an all black one in a long time, couldn't remember when.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-by-caterpillar-486