Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western PA/Pittsburgh Fall Weather Discussion

Ahoff

7 minutes ago, Gordo74 said:

Late last week, it didnt look like we'd need the AC this week, but that ugly "8" popped back up at the beginning of the temperature for today and over the upcoming weekend. Sigh. Maybe soon.

low 80s require an air conditioner?  At least it's lower humidity, that helps immensely.

4 hours ago, Ahoff said:

low 80s require an air conditioner?  At least it's lower humidity, that helps immensely.

We can’t expect to get through September without hitting 80, and a day or two of low 80s can be managed without a/c, but I’m still hoping against hope that the 2015-2019 version of our Septembers isn’t our permanent new normal, and that last September wasn’t just a fluke.

Also, if you go by the GFS, the last 2 runs have had Sunday afternoon at 84/65 and 82/65, so it’s not necessarily the case that it’ll be lower humidity.

7 hours ago, Ahoff said:

9 times out of 10, I’d agree with you. 

But if you get a stretch of mid 70’s, lots of sun on the house, then a 80 day, that could quite easily translate to a sweaty afternoon inside.

At least the next few days will be a good temp. I was spoiled late last week with low 70’s/high 60’s in the mountains as the high with a nice breeze and now I. Want. More.

I think we've gotten used to September warming, at this point.  It is rarely a "fall" month anymore.  We can even stretch the 80s (and more rarely 90s) into October.  Heck, even last November was warm in the beginning.  Of course, two years ago November was the coldest month of the winter (I think), so it's hardly definitive beyond a warmer September.  I like fall, though, and it's unfortunate we see less of it.  My own theory is we're eventually going to have two primary seasons: winter and summer, not much lengthy in-between.

4 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Oops, posted this in the summer thread. This belongs in the fall thread. Very puzzling, the last sentence of this morning’s forecast discussion weighed against the last few days of the zone forecast:

C163DBFC-4614-41B0-BA4B-6EB34ACCD855.jpeg.3910e59ef099bab00f654fe4e46c0920.jpeg
E3C6B756-19A2-44D4-96BE-B80670A590E0.jpeg.1828b2c87b9c020edacf21e83beae085.jpeg

See what the GFS was throwing out in the long range, would be interesting, a little early for the time period you mention, but very cool on that run.  However, GFS long range, so grain of salt and all.

39 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

See what the GFS was throwing out in the long range, would be interesting, a little early for the time period you mention, but very cool on that run.  However, GFS long range, so grain of salt and all.

Be interesting to see how it all evolves. I see a lot of heat in the eastern 2/3 of the country, but the GFS mutes it somewhat and the other models come down a bit. Getting through the first 11 days of the month without even one positive departure will be a big win.

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Who’s ready for 2nd summer? Looks like it begins tomorrow and the end is TBD. Overnight GFS runs are particularly ugly, not a single temp below 62 at PIT after this morning on the 0z or the 6z, and 2 straight weeks of dewpoints 60 or higher.

Sounds like we're going to need another hurricane to break the pattern again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Looking like the middle to end of the upcoming week gets Fall-like.

This warm spell hasn't been too impressive at this point.  looks like low 80s for the rest of it.  Nothing unusual by any stretch.

It’s definitely been better than what I was dreading. The humidity has been brutal, but even that broke last night, if only for 12 hours or so. Don’t think I’ll complain too much about a stretch in September where we only get into the low 80s (maybe mid-80s a day or two if we overperform).

PBZ’s one forecaster that actually writes good discussions had this to say:

D37ADB3F-5DB8-41F1-9105-DF5FEF96C087.jpeg.dc95a0780ad3d3596e725b5aa988a305.jpeg