• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter '21-'22 General Obs

John1122

Looks like it shifted south of Campbell for now but there's a band in Scott county that looks like it will move back over. It snowed for a good 7 hours or so back home. I'd guess for now 1 to 1.5 inches fell based on returns and the fact that downtown LaFollette  down around all the pavement looks like it has an inch or so on the non-paved surfaces and roof tops. Also saw a few car driving by with what looked like around an inch on them.

• Like 1

Snow has nicely filled back in from all the way down towards Pikeville/Athens up to Cumberland, Roane,  North Knox, Anderson. Scott, Union, Claiborne and Campbell County,

JKL put up a SPS for widespread 1 to up to 3 inches for Bell County up to Harlan. 

If future radar is right, a nice band will move across the valley around 5-6 am. It's been trying to clear it off the Plateau since 1am and it's not gone away there, so it may be around longer than it's being shown on there for the Knox corridor.

• Like 3

I'm posting this more from a scientific standpoint because impacts should be minimal. Even though the LLJ isn't strong tonight (only in the 30 to 40kt range at 850mb over the mountains before 12z), conditions on forecast soundings are almost ideal for mountain waves late tonight and tomorrow morning. This would be a turn nothing into something scenario.  Just interested to see how windy it can get with relatively weak cross barrier winds. I'll update with obs if it materializes. 

Thursday still looks like a major event.  The stronger LLJ events like Thursday tend to hit the Smoky Mts pretty good too, in addition to Camp Creek.

• Like 4

There's been a 64mph gust so far today in Camp Creek and a 78mph gust on Cove Mountain, so high winds are already verifying in the warning areas. The best opportunity for this mountain wave event is probably after 4:00pm today into early evening, as the LLJ increases over the mountains, 850mb flow backs slightly over WNC, and loss of daytime heating. Thermal profiles aren't ideal, but the amount of wind energy still provides plenty of the potential.

• Like 3

My Kid reports thunder last night. Unfortunately I slept through it. 

Meanwhile every road in East Brainerd was flooded. Advisory no FF Warning. Two blocks away in Georgia had a Warning. Where was ours? Schools should have delayed 2-hours; but without the warning, decision makers did not act.

Total Failure of the Warnings system!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1