• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York- Meteorological Fall

5 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Have you been up in the high peaks during a snowstorm? Wind speeds above 4K feet on open summits can be well over 100 mph with whiteout conditions. The strongest winds I’ve ever felt were on top of a high peak in February of 2019, had to be 90 mph. You’ll never see snowfall rates in the adk like you’ll see in a strong band off the tug but temps are insanely cold at the summits, and wind speeds are insane. The scariest part is getting stuck up there in a bad storm, many times 7-8 mile walk back to the car. 

I did a solo hike of Wright Peak about 5 years ago in mid February. Not smart…Wasn’t a particularly stormy day. But once above tree line winds were over 75 mph with near zero visibility. Got disoriented and left my backpack near a cairn in bid to make the summit (hiked so far to get there how could I turn back?). Dumb. Made it down but looking back did a lot of things wrong and could have really gone sideways. Entirely different world in the High Peaks in wintertime. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

First official frost of the season here. Just went out to the dumpster to throw out garbage and scope things out. Pretty thick frost on cars and rooftops. I live at the top of a hill too, so it may be even heavier at the bottom.

No Sizzle here in Amsterdam. Actually in Brugge Belgium now, which incredibly nice medieval city. They made a movie here circa 2008, "In Bruges."  Good flick.  Weather has been very changeable and chilly. Locals said Summer was mostly crappy. No Amstersizzle for them. ;)

Screenshot_20211020-132011_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

No Sizzle here in Amsterdam. Actually in Brugge Belgium now, which incredibly nice medieval city. They made a movie here circa 2008, "In Bruges."  Good flick.  Weather has been very changeable and chilly. Locals said Summer was mostly crappy. No Amstersizzle for them. ;)

Screenshot_20211020-132011_Gallery.jpg

You're hilarious. Question: Is it normal for men to cut off their penises and throw them in urinals there in Amsternosizzle? Asking for a friend...

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Have you been up in the high peaks during a snowstorm? Wind speeds above 4K feet on open summits can be well over 100 mph with whiteout conditions. The strongest winds I’ve ever felt were on top of a high peak in February of 2019, had to be 90 mph. You’ll never see snowfall rates in the adk like you’ll see in a strong band off the tug but temps are insanely cold at the summits, and wind speeds are insane. The scariest part is getting stuck up there in a bad storm, many times 7-8 mile walk back to the car. 

We have avoided being that high during storms.

Tug just feels so exposed to me during high intensity LE events.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I did a solo hike of Wright Peak about 5 years ago in mid February. Not smart…Wasn’t a particularly stormy day. But once above tree line winds were over 75 mph with near zero visibility. Got disoriented and left my backpack near a cairn in bid to make the summit (hiked so far to get there how could I turn back?). Dumb. Made it down but looking back did a lot of things wrong and could have really gone sideways. Entirely different world in the High Peaks in wintertime. 

Wrights one of the windiest high peaks, the exposed top with no trees feature the highest wind speeds. I was on Cascade in winter and had to hold onto the rock as I would literally blow away if I didn't secure myself. Most insane winds I've ever felt. 

1 hour ago, cny rider said:

We have avoided being that high during storms.

Tug just feels so exposed to me during high intensity LE events.

I’ve chased on the tug a couple times and it’s truly frightening when your in 4-6”/hr + rates with how truly desolate it is up there. Also so wide open you really do feel exposed as you said. Lots of spots that don’t even have cell service so if you go off the road all I can say is you better have a lot of gas left in your tank and good luck. I had a bad experience chasing up there in the early 2010s (don’t remember the year). I went off the road during heavy rates and crashed into a Boulder and totaled my car. I was bruised up good and fractured my right  arm but was otherwise lucky. Somehow even with as few cars as their were up there I was somehow followed by an electrical company truck which was nice enough to have seen me go off the road and pulled me out. My car was very badly damaged but I managed to make it to Pulaski before the vehicle died. Was a very humbling experience to say the least. It is no joke up there. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I’ve chased on the tug a couple times and it’s truly frightening when your in 4-6”/hr + rates with how truly desolate it is up there. Also so wide open you really do feel exposed as you said. Lots of spots that don’t even have cell service so if you go off the road all I can say is you better have a lot of gas left in your tank and good luck. I had a bad experience chasing up there in the early 2010s (don’t remember the year). I went off the road during heavy rates and crashed into a Boulder and totaled my car. I was bruised up good and fractured my right  arm but was otherwise lucky. Somehow even with as few cars as their were up there I was somehow followed by an electrical company truck which was nice enough to have seen me go off the road and pulled me out. My car was very badly damaged but I managed to make it to Pulaski before the vehicle died. Was a very humbling experience to say the least. It is no joke up there. 

Try riding snowmobile on the Tug during a big lake effect storm. Done it many times and no ides how the group made it back but we did lol. I remember one times a few year back couldn't see the snowmobile 5 ft in front of me circling around in a field trying to figure out where the damn trail was haha. It's insane up there during lake effect storms. 

• Like 4

You have to use GPS locators in both locations. I was talking to a guy who had finished his 46 in the late 1990s and he told me he got stuck up on Mt Marcy for 2 days, thought he wasn't going to make it. Ever since that day he prepped his bag with extra supplies for winter hikes. My winter pack is like 10 lbs heavier than my summer pack. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I remember that, I almost went with you that day but think I had to work. 

• Like 1

I went on to one road last year near Barnes corners that was barely wide enough to fit a car lol Needless to say the road just ended, never seen anything like it lol One min on a dirt road, the next in the woods..It was tough turning around.. Thankfully it was only lightly snowing..Fun times.. Thinking about go back this year..

3 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:
A widespread soaking rainfall is expected from Sunday night into
Tuesday, with the potential to result in up to two inches of rain in
some areas. Rainfall during this time may result in poor drainage
flooding in some of these areas.

Wow just perfect timing, fence install monday/tuesday. Waited 2 years for this day and the worst weather of the last 2 years comes. I'm pretty sure my fence is cursed. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

34 at 10 PM and we didn’t even end up with frost here in Brewerton. Clouds moved in overnight and the temperature was up to 37 by midnight. In the low 40s  this morning. Somebody must have left a door open in Sizzlecuse and some of the heat escaped. 

There was frost on the cars and rooftops at 1 in the morning last night. I knew it would all be melted overnight with Sizzlecuse always producing its own heat (with the aid of the relentless southerly breezes and clouds).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Long range looks up and down, right around average for next 2 weeks. The warm up looks like 1/2 warmish days next week, then another cool down for weekend. I would go above average snowfall for November. 

Oddly I don’t see many warming days and if the GFS is to be believed (big if) then there’s quite a bit of wintry weather over the next 2 weeks. Each run gets colder snd colder and euro high res seems to agree. That timeframe of November 3-6 would be watched 

• Like 1