Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York- Meteorological Fall

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Wow, that is crazy. I never knew that.

First Nov 14 event would have fit perfectly into that pocket.  Not exactly to scale but you get the idea.  That small lift in elevation from downtown to the airport could aid in the stalling process and stronger storm dynamics, snowfall rates seen on the extreme northern edge of the snow.  

topo snow zone map.png

5 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Interesting interactive topographic mapping I found.  Never realized there was a small elevated "plateau" that comes down the 90 corridor and runs right into downtown.  

KBUF ELEVATION MAP2.png

So. If you drive down transit heading north towards Lockport, that’s where the ridge at eastern hills is. The Sheridan dr underpass is the ridge to “transit Valley”. This COULD be one of the reasons why my area and north to UB are colder than KBUF…however it doesn’t make sense to the east towards Lancaster. That area was almost 9 degrees colder this am.

48 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Man we're approaching the daily high at 10 pm lol Need less than a degree.. Lake really a toaster bath huh? Even 5 miles inland, winds are pretty strong this evening..Dps up to 56°, almost tropical out lol

Temp dropped into the 50s around sunset, then the furnace SW wind kicked in and the temp immediately responded and bounced up several degrees. :axe: lol

Note: Bville is several degrees cooler than the airport right now and in the upper 50s. Still very mild.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Man we're approaching the daily high at 10 pm lol Need less than a degree.. Lake really a toaster bath huh? Even 5 miles inland, winds are pretty strong this evening..Dps up to 56°, almost tropical out lol

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Temp dropped into the 50s around sunset, then the furnace SW wind kicked in and the temp immediately responded and bounced up several degrees. :axe: lol

Forecasted high for tomorrow is 70. I'm still going with my 74 to 75 degree call. We'll hit 70 by 11:30 am. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Forecasted high for tomorrow is 70. I'm still going with my 74 to 75 degree call. We'll hit 70 by 11:30 am. 

Hit 66 today at KBUF, the low was 42. Normal low for today is 43. Tomorrow is the day I officially close the pool, just need to put cover on everything else is done. Oct 20th is the latest I've done it so far.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Note: Bville is several degrees cooler than the airport right now and in the upper 50s. Still very mild.

Yeah it's 63° here lol With a West wind.. Forecast low is 53°, doubt we see that..

Screenshot_20211019-231208.png

55 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So. If you drive down transit heading north towards Lockport, that’s where the ridge at eastern hills is. The Sheridan dr underpass is the ridge to “transit Valley”. This COULD be one of the reasons why my area and north to UB are colder than KBUF…however it doesn’t make sense to the east towards Lancaster. That area was almost 9 degrees colder this am.

Lancaster has very little urban development compared to around the Airport. Lots of "country" around that area.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hit 66 today at KBUF, the low was 42. Normal low for today is 43. Tomorrow is the day I officially close the pool, just need to put cover on everything else is done. Oct 20th is the latest I've done it so far.

What's the pool temp? I think you should wait until November and take a hairy legs floating in the pool shot...this is the year to do it. :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I read on the AFD this morning that this weekend is the last time the first and freeze  warnings will be used for the season…and if I’m correct they haven’t issued one yet. Let that sink in.

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

I have read chatter on some of the other forums of some models showing the Polar Vortex recharging and plopping itself over the North Pole...i.e. 2012ish...:(

I’m not sure where that chatter evolved from due partly in most cases the models are in good agreement the PV stays weak for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I’m not sure where that chatter evolved from due partly in most cases the models are in good agreement the PV stays weak for a while. 

Check out page 34 of the New England Winter discussion. Some good discussion on there about it. (Well, good as in meteorology-related...not preferred outcomes. Ha.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Temp graph from this morning.  Again not a huge variance but just such a consistent one.  Either ALL of these surrounding PWS are reading 2.0-3.5 degrees colder all at the same times OR there is an issue with just the one KBUF sensor reading too warm.  Isolated to the overnight hours and seems to show the largest variance between the hours of 12am - 5am.     1887559312_1020temps.png.0a7c657de51585c4e7a05119c8d2fadd.png

• Thanks 1

Finally going to feel like it should this time of year, starting Friday..Or even a little below..

Could see current forecast min
temps in the mid-upper 30s western NY to around 30 east of Lake
Ontario possibly going lower if lake effect clouds and showers are
not as prevalent. If so, we may need some frost or freeze headlines
on what will be the final day of our program for the Fall.

Friday
A slight chance of showers before 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.
Saturday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 52.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38.
Sunday
A chance of showers after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 51. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday
Partly sunny, with a high near 52.
Monday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tuesday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

32 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

We have one to our NW that's expected to move through tomorrow evening..Seems like the models are missing whatever is going on lol

91fndfd_init_2021102012.gif

WUNIDS_map - 2021-10-20T141133.401.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_1.png

Just as surprised as the models being wrong as I am that the Keebler elves don’t make the cookies, Rudolph really not having a red nose and Tug Hill being an actual snow jinx

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Mostly Sunny my ass.  Morning was perfect but that quick shower is turning into a bit of a dreary afternoon.  Got the breezy part right!

And when I see everyone talking about these outlooks weeks and months down the road… can’t even make today’s call accurate.

DA6B593F-65D1-4B86-99DC-118B5C4349F2.jpeg

Yeah I would say today was a rare completely blown forecast.  I did not expect rain at all, and the models didn't really show it either.  Tough one for the NWS.  

• Like 1

Looking back at my weather journal for this day in recent years and stumbled across this odd entry.  I have a vague recollection of this, but damn...what an odd one.

"A EF0 Tornado touched down in West Seneca in the middle of heavy graupel and lake effect rain event.  A strong front dropped south igniting already strong lake effect rain.  Somehow a tornado formed in this unusual airmass causing minor damage.  I think it was more of a hybrid waterspout, and would like to see the radar leading up to this event.  Regardless, a cool and very rare event.  Also (for future reading), there is a documented Tornado in a snow event on the Eastern end of Lake Ontario in Canada. “A Unique Cold-Season Supercell Produces an EF1 'Snownado”

• Like 5