• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York- Meteorological Fall

2 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Virtually no wind last night.  Sensor is smack dab in the middle of the airport 

200DA86C-0880-4E70-9632-16EC3DDEF307.jpeg

My question is how is UB (a mesonet run reading) almost 8 degrees colder than the airport right now? I guess I’d like to know if this is an acceptable reading as it is monitored by the U of Albany. 

45 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

My question is how is UB (a mesonet run reading) almost 8 degrees colder than the airport right now? I guess I’d like to know if this is an acceptable reading as it is monitored by the U of Albany. 

This was 6pm last night to 8am this morning.  KBUF has a huge 5-6 degree departure from maximum for several hours overnight.  It does start and end the night somewhat in line with the other stations (within 1.5 degree max variance) but not sure what hangs it up from 9pm - 3am?

So far tonight KBUF has been reporting in line with nearby stations.  TS see my post above, there is a small pocket of warmer air sitting over Cheektowaga area and airport.  Several stations were reporting a bit warmer.  Closer to UB area is colder.  11pm readings had a bit more of a variance but still small compared to yesterday.  What's different tonight from last night that could have caused this lag???    928-929temp.thumb.png.024d8c135a0b98c199ee473ef4728652.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

This was 6pm last night to 8am this morning.  KBUF has a huge 5-6 degree departure from maximum for several hours overnight.  It does start and end the night somewhat in line with the other stations (within 1.5 degree max variance) but not sure what hangs it up from 9pm - 3am?

So far tonight KBUF has been reporting in line with nearby stations.  TS see my post above, there is a small pocket of warmer air sitting over Cheektowaga area and airport.  Several stations were reporting a bit warmer.  Closer to UB area is colder.  11pm readings had a bit more of a variance but still small compared to yesterday.  What's different tonight from last night that could have caused this lag???    928-929temp.thumb.png.024d8c135a0b98c199ee473ef4728652.png

Maybe they fixed it today after the tweet?

Sunday and Sunday night, forecast is trending wetter areawide as
shortwave energy and a potential weak sfc low approaches the Lower
Lakes. Have again nudges POPs up areawide with the best chance for
precipitation likely occuring Sunday afternoon and then
continuing into Sunday night.
Chances for showers will slowly wane heading toward the middle of
the week. Exactly how long it takes for this to occur is the
question. There are still some timing differences amongst model
guidance, however the overall consensus trends toward the surface
boundary eventually getting shoved south of the area as Canadian
high pressure tries to build across the region. Depending on when
this process takes place will determine when we finally start to dry
things out a bit around here

qpf_acc.us_ne - 2021-09-30T100527.878.png

15 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:
Sunday and Sunday night, forecast is trending wetter areawide as
shortwave energy and a potential weak sfc low approaches the Lower
Lakes. Have again nudges POPs up areawide with the best chance for
precipitation likely occuring Sunday afternoon and then
continuing into Sunday night.
Chances for showers will slowly wane heading toward the middle of
the week. Exactly how long it takes for this to occur is the
question. There are still some timing differences amongst model
guidance, however the overall consensus trends toward the surface
boundary eventually getting shoved south of the area as Canadian
high pressure tries to build across the region. Depending on when
this process takes place will determine when we finally start to dry
things out a bit around here

qpf_acc.us_ne - 2021-09-30T100527.878.png

Really hope it holds off for bills game got tickets. I bought the tickets a few days ago when KBUF forecast was 68 and sunny for Sunday. I really need to look at the models instead of trusting them, they suck. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Really hope it holds off for bills game got tickets. I bought the tickets a few days ago when KBUF forecast was 68 and sunny for Sunday. I really need to look at the models instead of trusting them, they suck. 

Yes, apparently the EC won as it was showing the boundary hanging around. Dang, I was gonna go solo camping for a few days Sat-Wed. Might have to hold off. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Yes, apparently the EC won as it was showing the boundary hanging around. Dang, I was gonna go solo camping for a few days Sat-Wed. Might have to hold off. 

Only hope is it starts raining after the game Sunday, there is a chance its more sporadic earlier in the day. Where are you going camping? 

• Like 1

Closer to the Great Lakes, the big story this winter will be lake-effect snow.

“Lake-effect snow in the Great Lakes --- look out,” Pastelok warned. “If it all does come together, we could have a pretty busy season as far as lake-effect snow [goes] for all of the Great Lakes.”

The first rounds of lake-effect snow are likely to start in late November and into December, but the pattern that meteorologists often refer to as "the lake-effect snow machine" will kick into high gear as the calendar turns to 2022.

One reason the worst of the lake-effect snow is expected to hold off until January is the state of the Great Lakes heading into the season. The water temperatures in all five lakes as of late September were above normal. Water temperatures were about 1 degree Fahrenheit above normal in Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, about 2.5 F above normal in Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, and 5 F above normal in Lake Superior, according to NOAA Coast Watch.

As of late September, some of the warmest waters in the Great Lakes were concentrated in Lake Erie, where readings at stations on the coast of Cleveland and Buffalo topped 67 degrees. In the southern parts of Lake Michigan, near Chicago, water temperatures remained above 60 degrees at the end of September.

With only intermittent intrusions of cold air before a persistent flow of Arctic air in January, the lakes will remain open for business well into winter.

Buffalo, New York, is predicted to measure around 100 inches of snow this winter, slightly above the average of 95 inches and noticeably above last season, during which the city measured a total of 77 inches.

Farther west, the bigger story will be the unrelenting waves of cold air.

“If you live in the northern Plains and Great Lakes, I think you really have to pay attention to the cold shots that come down," Pastelok said referring to Arctic air blasting down from Canada.

Temperatures in January could end up being 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit lower than they were last winter across the Plains -- and the Arctic air is likely to remain in place over the region into February.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Closer to the Great Lakes, the big story this winter will be lake-effect snow.

“Lake-effect snow in the Great Lakes --- look out,” Pastelok warned. “If it all does come together, we could have a pretty busy season as far as lake-effect snow [goes] for all of the Great Lakes.”

The first rounds of lake-effect snow are likely to start in late November and into December, but the pattern that meteorologists often refer to as "the lake-effect snow machine" will kick into high gear as the calendar turns to 2022.

One reason the worst of the lake-effect snow is expected to hold off until January is the state of the Great Lakes heading into the season. The water temperatures in all five lakes as of late September were above normal. Water temperatures were about 1 degree Fahrenheit above normal in Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, about 2.5 F above normal in Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, and 5 F above normal in Lake Superior, according to NOAA Coast Watch.

As of late September, some of the warmest waters in the Great Lakes were concentrated in Lake Erie, where readings at stations on the coast of Cleveland and Buffalo topped 67 degrees. In the southern parts of Lake Michigan, near Chicago, water temperatures remained above 60 degrees at the end of September.

With only intermittent intrusions of cold air before a persistent flow of Arctic air in January, the lakes will remain open for business well into winter.

Buffalo, New York, is predicted to measure around 100 inches of snow this winter, slightly above the average of 95 inches and noticeably above last season, during which the city measured a total of 77 inches.

Farther west, the bigger story will be the unrelenting waves of cold air.

“If you live in the northern Plains and Great Lakes, I think you really have to pay attention to the cold shots that come down," Pastelok said referring to Arctic air blasting down from Canada.

Temperatures in January could end up being 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit lower than they were last winter across the Plains -- and the Arctic air is likely to remain in place over the region into February.

With a normal Nina you would get an early lake effect season on average. Late Nov-Mid January should be the typical time to get a bunch of events. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

These maps make sense. I think slightly warmer than average winter with above normal snow. Looks like a weak La Nina map. Where them clippers at?

That looks like a very fun track for possible East Coast storms. It's been quite some time since we've seen those OR Alberta Clippers.

40 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Just south of Naples.

My wife and I stayed at an Air BnB just outside Naples. Beautiful area. We loved it. The Grape pies though? Not so much.... lol. Sorry, native Finger Lakers..we were not fans. haha

• Like 1

Sunday afternoon and Sunday Night will be the better chances for
rain showers as a surface boundary begins to form just to the south
of Lake Ontario, and isentropic lift increases. The deep moisture
within now diffluent flow aloft will likely bring widespread rain to
our entire region. Will have categorical PoPs across WNY...and to
the east where diffluent flow will be weaker...just likely PoPs.
Upward to a half an inch or more of rain is possible within
prolonged rain and drizzle later Sunday afternoon and through the
overnight time period.

58 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

20 minute video on the"October surprise" storm of 2006, just posted on YouTube, for you buffalo folks..

I can watch this stuff all day. 1895 (Late Sep) 1905 and 1930 (early/mid October) all featured strong LES events for Buffalo. I'm not sure 5-10" of snow is possible in late September across Buffalo like it was in 1895 with the amount of warming that has occurred. Would have to feature even more insane atmospheric conditions than Oct 2006.

• Like 2

So tonight is interesting... KBUF is warm... but starting to notice a warmer pocket in this circled area on a regular basis.  I will usually see 1 station here and there be close to KBUF when it's running warm, but tonight is first time I have seen them all grouped warm together.  Numbers past two night have been right in line, no large variances.  09301009pm.png.1470a07e61cea11538cd2ca37a6b9243.png