Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York- Meteorological Fall

59 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

9am wasn’t the issue…7am was

What site were you using to reference the temps?  Weather Underground map or …???  Need to be carful with that map as I have been fooled before.  KBUF temps only updates on the map on the top of the hour, those other sites update every few minutes.  Right at 7am could be tricky is KBUF hadn’t updated yet and was still showing the 6am temp and all those other sites were rapidly warming in real time as the sun rose.  Also really don’t know how accurate those other gauges are.  If they are not placed properly they can warm up super fast as soon as the sun rises.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I could go with the heat island theory IF it was snack downtown but it’s on the border of Williamsville off Youngs…I can’t believe the runway would make that much if a difference 

Lot more to look at that just the runway!  Gonna try and do a little research on development in recent years around that area… but here’s something to peak your interest… I strongly believe the UHI could be impacting the temp over time but I think the question is how much additional heating (if any?) can these new developments really add to the general area?

Two map grabs the 2D overhead version being the most current on the map app.  Need to find the year on the 3D version But its sometime between 2010 and 2013.  I marked the NWS office on the map.  Two things to look at.  The huge parking lot that was put up just south of the NWS office on Holtz Drive.  Again need to research it but the main lot was built sometime between 2000 and 2010 with an additional section added on a later date.  This area use to be an open field but is now a massive asphalt lot that buys right up to the NWS office.  The second area to note is directly across Holtz Drive and the newly built “Airborne Business Park”.  Again went from open fields to mass development in last 10 years.

A827C48E-0266-4D0D-B0B5-2A0C59679250.jpeg

9CF5FCC4-02FD-4723-A710-C7B7DE78F0E8.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I could go with the heat island theory IF it was snack downtown but it’s on the border of Williamsville off Youngs…I can’t believe the runway would make that much if a difference 

It's not just the runway, its the GIGANTIC parking lot literally less than 100 feet from the measuring area.   I have to assume that makes some sort of impact.  We also still don't definitively no where they take their measurements.  If's at the actual office, then I think they would see a big impact from those parking lots.  If it's somewhere else, then we really have no idea how to correlate this issue.

EDIT- I'm just now seeing the post above.  It's the same thing I mentioned a few months back and I posted about it.  There is a new HUGE parking lot that was recently added.

Capture.JPG

Also, to continue down the urban heat island discussion.  I often play softball in the evenings on the East side of Rochester and I live on the West side of Rochester.  As I drive home, the temperature will often increase a good 7-10 degrees from the softball fields in perinton to downtown Rochester and then the temp will drop back another 7-10 as I exit the downtown area and head home.  I can literally feel it with my arm out the window.  I think some of you are severely underestimating how powerful this effect is.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Also, to continue down the urban heat island discussion.  I often play softball in the evenings on the East side of Rochester and I live on the West side of Rochester.  As I drive home, the temperature will often increase a good 7-10 degrees from the softball fields in perinton to downtown Rochester and then the temp will drop back another 7-10 as I exit the downtown area and head home.  I can literally feel it with my arm out the window.  I think some of you are severely underestimating how powerful this effect is.  

Its even more noticeable in larger cities like Toronto, NYC, LA. We have no where near the urban heating those places get. A parking lot next to the place they record temps can definitely have an effect of 1-2 degrees, especially in summer and on sunny days. Blacktop soaks in the sun. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Its even more noticeable in larger cities like Toronto, NYC, LA. We have no where near the urban heating those places get. A parking lot next to the place they record temps can definitely have an effect of 1-2 degrees, especially in summer and on sunny days. Blacktop soaks in the sun. 

Yep, riding a motorcycle I feel it every morning. Its literally a wall of warmth that starts pretty abruptly at transit road. If I head south on transit from wherle it doesnt chill off until you get to seneca with a few pockets of "country air" in between.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

It's not just the runway, its the GIGANTIC parking lot literally less than 100 feet from the measuring area.   I have to assume that makes some sort of impact.  We also still don't definitively no where they take their measurements.  If's at the actual office, then I think they would see a big impact from those parking lots.  If it's somewhere else, then we really have no idea how to correlate this issue.

EDIT- I'm just now seeing the post above.  It's the same thing I mentioned a few months back and I posted about it.  There is a new HUGE parking lot that was recently added.

Capture.JPG

I sent them a message to confirm but I’m 99% sure this is where the temp sensor is located.  Can see the snowboards just above it and then a few feet away the massive parking lot.  

D159D889-05D7-416F-9167-5BE1066690CC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Possible warming from the lake at play this morning?  It’s going to keep areas within 10 or so miles a lot milder for a while as I expect lake temp is still in upper 60’s. 

That’s what I was thinking this morning when the question was first brought up but winds overnight into the morning were out of the E and then SE.  Still had a “warming downslope” aspect out of the higher elevations but the lake influence would be held to more of the immediate lake shore I would think. 

56 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Lot more to look at that just the runway!  Gonna try and do a little research on development in recent years around that area… but here’s something to peak your interest… I strongly believe the UHI could be impacting the temp over time but I think the question is how much additional heating (if any?) can these new developments really add to the general area?

Two map grabs the 2D overhead version being the most current on the map app.  Need to find the year on the 3D version But its sometime between 2010 and 2013.  I marked the NWS office on the map.  Two things to look at.  The huge parking lot that was put up just south of the NWS office on Holtz Drive.  Again need to research it but the main lot was built sometime between 2000 and 2010 with an additional section added on a later date.  This area use to be an open field but is now a massive asphalt lot that buys right up to the NWS office.  The second area to note is directly across Holtz Drive and the newly built “Airborne Business Park”.  Again went from open fields to mass development in last 10 years.

A827C48E-0266-4D0D-B0B5-2A0C59679250.jpeg

9CF5FCC4-02FD-4723-A710-C7B7DE78F0E8.jpeg

Thank you all for the great detective work! If the temps are real time at all the other sites/meso net sites like UB that would be a good possibility, all that I saw was KBUF at that time was already 8 degrees warmer than all the sites within a few miles. That’s what surprised me 

Our winters are definitely warming. Pretty crazy how the midwest has actually gone down in average temps Dec-Feb. Look at the scale, its nothing too extreme, but again this is only 18 year scale. It takes decades for the warm to really be felt. 

*It's vs the 1981-2010 longterm average so makes it seem less worse than it actual is. If it was vs the longterm average it would likely be more dramatic. 

AEDF0F2D-41D5-4275-A0F1-1791329B37B7.png.bf8936e02ebcf0313715f0470faee574.png

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Thank you all for the great detective work! If the temps are real time at all the other sites/meso net sites like UB that would be a good possibility, all that I saw was KBUF at that time was already 8 degrees warmer than all the sites within a few miles. That’s what surprised me 

You know… now that I’m thinking about it… the real time temp data wouldn’t have had an impact in the morning it should have taken KBUF longer to warm up since it only reports hourly.  If we were looking at the PM temps and the cooling impact the real time data would play a difference maker.  I’m going to try and track them around sunset and sunrise and see if I can see anything that stands out.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

You know… now that I’m thinking about it… the real time temp data wouldn’t have had an impact in the morning it should have taken KBUF longer to warm up since it only reports hourly.  If we were looking at the PM temps and the cooling impact the real time data would play a difference maker.  I’m going to try and track them around sunset and sunrise and see if I can see anything that stands out.  

Have you messaged them on twitter/FB? 

9 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

If anyone has a way to show what WIVB showed at 7am I’d be thrilled. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Does anyone know if SYR recording station has a new parking lot or development around? SYR and BUF stand out as 2 places in NY with the largest temperature disparity. Why is Buffalo 2.7 degrees warmer this month than ROC?

BUF: +2.6

ROC: -.1

WAT: +1.2

SYR: +2.3

BING: +1.1

I don't know where Syracuse has their sensor. I think it must be right where the planes spit hot air out their butts...

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Not seeing as much sizzle sizzle in the sizzlecuse, must be a glitch..

Really? It's the hottest place in the state today other than Buffalo.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Latest precipitation forecast Euro/WPC.. Only through Friday as we have more potential liquid after this..

qpf_acc.us_ne - 2021-09-20T145910.198.png

p120i (14).gif

A feeling that a wet start to autumn is in the way…dry first half of the year and a wet second half…and not to get BW too excited but if you look at both the 12z GFS and 12z European, both appear by the last week of September it appears there are several “clipper” type systems that get blocked off from an early Greenland block and soon over the Great Lakes…if it’s was only 2 months from now 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Thank you! And when he zoomed in closer and showed Williamsville, UB, Lancaster and Tonawanda they were all 7 to 8 degrees cooler!!! 

All the stations update at different times, its tough to take those maps literally. That's my take as KBUF said nothing wrong with thermometer a few weeks ago. 

9 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

A feeling that a wet start to autumn is in the way…dry first half of the year and a wet second half…and not to get BW too excited but if you look at both the 12z GFS and 12z European, both appear by the last week of September it appears there are several “clipper” type systems that get blocked off from an early Greenland block and soon over the Great Lakes…if it’s was only 2 months from now 

This has to be the year to get our clipper pattern going. They are more favored in La Nina years vs El Nino. 

• Like 4