• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Something really interesting I wanted to share... the October 2021 averaged PDO index value came out to -2.55. In the entire PDO historical data set dating back to 1900, that's the most negative it's ever been since 1961. In fact, in the entire data set which takes monthly values, there's only ever been around 9 months across the past 121 years that have had a lower negative PDO value. That means 9 out of 1,450 months

Mixed signals for the winter is how I see it. It's been dry since the hurricane flood in early September that's not good. But it's a cold November and that pattern is really locked in going forward into December with cold delivery from Canada. Analogs for warm October - cold November have led to good winters.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RedSky said:

12z euro came significantly close to a snowstorm next Monday. The cold is there. 

Looks like a clipper redevelopment deal, those are notoriously hard to nail down this far out. CMC has something similar just further north as the clipper doesn't dig as far south as the Euro. Definitely something to keep an eye on. Even if we can score a 1-3" type deal with just the clipper, that'd be a nice score before December. 

Ended up with a high of 52 yesterday and low of 47 - but my 51 high today came just after midnight as one front was about to come through, so the low is the current. The rain was a bit stingy (a line from last night basically evaporated as it approached) but I did get 0.10" this morning.  Once the 2nd front came through, it sucked the moisture out of the atmosphere quite quickly.  Did have stratocumulus obscuring the sun much of the day, although there were some breaks of sun.

Currently 40 with a dp of 25.

MJO Phase (90 days) FWIW -

obs_phase90_full-11222021.gif

8 hours ago, RedSky said:

Mixed signals for the winter is how I see it. It's been dry since the hurricane flood in early September that's not good. But it's a cold November and that pattern is really locked in going forward into December with cold delivery from Canada. Analogs for warm October - cold November have led to good winters.

If anything, the ensembles means all are signaling a pattern flip after the first couple days of Dec. Of course they could be wrong, but they are in strong agreement with an Aleutian HP/central PAC blob and flooding the country with a PAC firehose. NAO is forecast to go strong positive and the PNA slight negative. As Newman noted, the PDO is not going to play nicely this year it appears and that favors the pattern flip I mentioned as we go forward into December (BN out west, AN temps East). We are going to struggle to get much snow before 2022 imho. Not being a Deb, but all signs are starting to come together in a not-so-favorable way at least early-on. Those regional outlooks suggesting an early and often start might be in trouble. Need that NAO to save us at some point as we trek into the deeper winter months, but the TPV on steroids is going to have something to say about that.

12 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

If anything, the ensembles means all are signaling a pattern flip after the first couple days of Dec. Of course they could be wrong, but they are in strong agreement with an Aleutian HP/central PAC blob and flooding the country with a PAC firehose. NAO is forecast to go strong positive and the PNA slight negative. As Newman noted, the PDO is not going to play nicely this year it appears and that favors the pattern flip I mentioned as we go forward into December (BN out west, AN temps East). We are going to struggle to get much snow before 2022 imho. Not being a Deb, but all signs are starting to come together in a not-so-favorable way at least early-on. Those regional outlooks suggesting an early and often start might be in trouble. Need that NAO to save us at some point as we trek into the deeper winter months, but the TPV on steroids is going to have something to say about that.

I don't know, that pattern looks like it could very easily flip into a +NAO/-EPO regime by mid month which wouldn't be as bad. No use extrapolating that far out when we're seeing such big changes every 24 hours though in the long range.  If we do get skunked in Dec though, historically speaking, that's usually a death knell for winter around here in a nina. Almost every single nina that featured a skunked december is a ratter. 

Beautiful day across the area albeit a bit chillier than normal. Of note this morning's low of 28.6 here in East Nantmeal was our coldest since the 26.3 back on April 3rd. The 30.2 in Sea Isle City NJ was the coldest and only the 2nd below freezing low this season. The 1st was last Saturday at exactly 32 degrees. Happy Holiday week to all!!

Backyard.20211123_110954580.jpg

SICHi.20211123_111004030.jpg

5 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Flurries and 39F

Yeah, some crumbs rolling down from the NW.

Montgomery county issued a code blue from 8pm tonight to 8am tomorrow. I thought the criteria was way lower temps/wind chill than what is predicted. Hell, I sleep in a tent overnight just for shits and giggles in temps/conditions lower..    

39F....face smashed against the window looking for the elusive first snowflake.

map.jpg

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yeah, some crumbs rolling down from the NW.

Montgomery county issued a code blue from 8pm tonight to 8am tomorrow. I thought the criteria was way lower temps/wind chill than what is predicted. Hell, I sleep in a tent overnight just for shits and giggles in temps/conditions lower..    

39F....face smashed against the window looking for the elusive first snowflake.

map.jpg

Yeah, I guess tonight qualifies for code blue.

cb.jpg