• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

GEFS/EPS do exactly what I spoke about a few days ago wrt Scandinavian ridging propagating into the Greenland region and developing a -NAO. 1st, we need this to not just be some day 8+ fantasy. 2nd, we need to see this become a repetitive background state this winter at least showing up periodically. With the pig TPV still strengthening and anchored over the N Pole and a raging PJ ripping underneath we are going to need NAO blocking this winter to avoid a dud imho. Not saying we can't cash in without it, but as I said the NAO is going to be the biggest key to things this winter. Without it we are going to need alot of PNA/AO help. Good look on guidance post Thanksgiving....thats about all we can hope for at this point.

Made it up to 48 yesterday after a low of 39, and although I had the same low this morning of 39, I'm already up to 60 at post time, so the warming trend is in place.  Currently a new deck of clouds have moved in so it is mostly cloudy and 60, with dp up to 49, after having dps in the low-mid 30s the past bunch of days.  Had to pull out the humidifiers today since the humidity in here had dropped down to the upper 20%s (not good).  Finally got it back up to a reasonable 40%.

After a low of 43 this morning, it's currently up to 69 with mostly blue sky.  Saw the setting full moon through the window this morning knowing I won't be able to see it tonight with the incoming tempest.

ETA - when I was out running errands earlier this morning, I took note that 1/2 of the trees are fully in leaf, although most of those have their fall colors.  I know around here, the city would do their 2nd leaf removals (from the streets) around the first week of December and I definitely see why.  It's possible that however gusty this incoming cold front gets, it might knock another batch of leaves down.

41 minutes ago, RedSky said:

One yellow jacket and my pet red dragonfly landed next-door to me on the concrete, rather incredible.

Confident the yellow jackets will be gone by Christmas with that 30 day outlook, but feel bad for the dragonfly 

Just saw a little garter snake slither across the walkway. Guess he came out to sun himself. 71F

Beautiful day here in NW Chesco!! Today was the warmest temperature recorded on this date since the 69 degrees we recorded back in 1963 - but still well short of all-time warmest temp on this day which was 77 degrees way back in 1896. Cold front has now passed and the temp is down 7 degrees in the past hour down to 50.9 now

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

Beautiful day here in NW Chesco!! Today was the warmest temperature recorded on this date since the 69 degrees we recorded back in 1963 - but still well short of all-time warmest temp on this day which was 77 degrees way back in 1896. Cold front has now passed and the temp is down 7 degrees in the past hour down to 50.9 now

I should probably let it go, but what was your actual high? 69?

Friday's low was 35 and yesterday's was a chillier 31, with the Friday high at 47 and yesterday's high 46. 

This morning was a bit surprising with some early fog and/or stratus (although with the temp/dp what they were and no wind between about 3 am - 5 am, I can see why)... but that has since lifted with a few puffs of wind. It's currently clear and and 37 with dp 36.

45 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

These are essentially a blend of the thoughts I posted a week or 2 ago. Below avg snowfall, slow start, TPV anchored over the N Pole, and variability. We are going to get bored with mid/upper 40s to low 50s for stretches then get a few of those days where we struggle to get out of the teens. I do think our cold spells come via blocking not necessarily related to any SSWE. A bigger storm (deeper cyclone) threat is more likely this winter based on several factors, one of which is Nina potentially staying weak/mod but quickly moving to neutral or even weak Nino by late winter. Slow start, moderate middle, higher variability late.