Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

I miss the days where 50s would be common in Oct w/a day or two hovering in the 40s and a stray flurry/snowflake. Hell, now here are entering mid Nov next week w/temps in the mid 60s(+?) and the site of a flurry is not even on the radar. My guess is Dec 12th for our first stray flake...

54F at 3:20pm

Seeing a snowflake in October is a relatively recent 2009-2011 thing for me and happened once more 6 or 7 years ago, and that's in the cooler high county area. Lower County I only specific remember it in 1979 of course. Normally first flake is mid to late November. 

Cold is returning next weekend I can envision a first flake on schedule this year. 

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I miss the days where 50s would be common in Oct w/a day or two hovering in the 40s and a stray flurry/snowflake. Hell, now here are entering mid Nov next week w/temps in the mid 60s(+?) and the site of a flurry is not even on the radar. My guess is Dec 12th for our first stray flake...

54F at 3:20pm

A while back there were 2 winters in a row where the first flakes were on November 30th in the form of snow flurries, and those winters rocked, so I'm okay with things waiting till the end of November to set up.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Not one but two yellow jackets buzzing around me today. Was not expecting that after three straight nights in the mid 20's. 

Had one buzzing around me today after cutting the lawn. However he/she seemed slow/dumb and not persistent so probably on its last legs...

35F

First flakes of the season around the region should fly centered around Nov 16 give or take a day on either side. Powerful cold front passes thru next weekend with a followup wave on its heels passing South of the region with cold air in place. All 3 major global models have it. Temps marginal given the time of year especially in the lower lying areas. Elevation snows a better possibility with wet flakes mixing/white rain possible outside of the higher elevations. Let the tracking begin.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

First flakes of the season around the region should fly centered around Nov 16 give or take a day on either side. Powerful cold front passes thru next weekend with a followup wave on its heels passing South of the region with cold air in place. All 3 major global models have it. Temps marginal given the time of year especially in the lower lying areas. Elevation snows a better possibility with wet flakes mixing/white rain possible outside of the higher elevations. Let the tracking begin.

Stormvista has accumulations near the coast lol

• Weenie 1

his morning's low's across Chester County ranged from the mid-20's in some lower valley spots to the low 30's higher up on the ridges. Here in East Nantmeal our low of 32.1 was our 4th straight morning with below freezing temps. Here in Chester County you need to go back 19 years to 2002 to find the last time 4 or more days had freezing temps during the first seven days of November.

image.png.1d3072a33b272ec266c86c2e1a7c54cd.png

10 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I have to renew my subscriptions, but does the 00z euro have any flakes from that day 9 event?

Yes on the backside it appears. The euro is also the strongest and farthest under the region with the disturbance. Good to see things tracking under us with ridging up top. Take that as a positive this early on.

19 hours ago, RedSky said:

Seeing a snowflake in October is a relatively recent 2009-2011 thing for me and happened once more 6 or 7 years ago, and that's in the cooler high county area. Lower County I only specific remember it in 1979 of course. Normally first flake is mid to late November. 

Cold is returning next weekend I can envision a first flake on schedule this year. 

Many a Thanksgiving parade here in Philly has had some flakes (or actually flurries) flying at some point during it, so that's about right... :lol:

My low was a "warmer" 34 this morning most likely due to a light breeze and high clouds.  Currently mostly sunny with scattered cirrus and 50 with dp 33.

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

23F!

Walked outside and in no more than two minutes had a yellow jacket buzzing me wanting a bite out of my cookie. Also a dragon fly making it's rounds. What is going on?

By chance did family member make you "special cookies" for breakfast? Yellow jacket and I haven't seen a dragonfly in a long time even in the summer but 23F for a low and living critters still flying around? Perhaps not enough sleep...you may need more naps during the day.

55F...with that Fall sun angle look.

*Birds kickoff at 4:05pm. May be dark (or very close) by the end of the 1st quarter....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

By chance did family member make you "special cookies" for breakfast? Yellow jacket and I haven't seen a dragonfly in a long time even in the summer but 23F for a low and living critters still flying around? Perhaps not enough sleep...you may need more naps during the day.

55F...with that Fall sun angle look.

*Birds kickoff at 4:05pm. May be dark (or very close) by the end of the 1st quarter....

Dragonfly I consider my pet now it's been around all week it lands on the concrete outside the door regularly. Maybe the covid bio weapon has made bee's cold hardy :yikes:

• Weenie 1

9 hours ago, RedSky said:

Dragonfly I consider my pet now it's been around all week it lands on the concrete outside the door regularly. Maybe the covid bio weapon has made bee's cold hardy :yikes:

I have a pet rock courtesy of Charlie's halloween ventures. It helped me through some rough times and hopefully will continue through Winter. Doctor thinks I'm crazy. I told him come to this site w/a winter storm pending and follow a 00z Euro thread to see some really crazy individuals. Bridge jumping, blow torch photos, people hallucinated seeing snow, bright snow lights, people artificially making snow, upside down rulers for greater snow depth and all... 

36F as of 3am

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I have a pet rock courtesy of Charlie's halloween ventures. It helped me through some rough times and hopefully will continue through Winter. Doctor thinks I'm crazy. I told him come to this site w/a winter storm pending and follow a 00z Euro thread to see some really crazy individuals. Bridge jumping, blow torch photos, people hallucinated seeing snow, bright snow lights, people artificially making snow, upside down rulers for greater snow depth and all... 

36F as of 3am

Don't forget the temper tantrums when someone finds themself trapped in a dry slot (especially if still in one as the storm bands pivot). :axe::lol:

This morning's low of 41 was much warmer than the past mornings here, probably thanks to an overnight cirrus deck and light breezes.

Currently sunny and clear and 50 with dp 37,

• Weenie 1

10 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

36F as of 3am

My personal favorite is dark greens and yellows overtop my region for hours resulting in ground truth observations of light snow .25"hr rates, while the light greens in other regions report 2" an hour. 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1