Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

2 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Well I hit a high of 61 yesterday and bottomed out at 44 this morning with good radiational cooling. I know that is going to trigger some leaves to color up and I got my tender tropicals indoors just in time (they don't like below the mid-lower 50s at night).

It's currently 55 and clear with dp 45.

Let's hope! I'm taking the fall excursion ride on the New Hope RR this Saturday. Sure would be nice to get some more color in the canopy by then.

Wowser.  I bottomed out at 41 early this morning around 3:30 am, with clear skies and no wind.  When I came down for coffee around 4:20 am it was still at the 41 F mark. Then apparently a few puffs of wind mixed it out somewhere between about 4:30 - 5 am, warming me up to the mid-40s.

Currently 45 and clear with dp 40.  If the 40s from yesterday morning didn't start to trigger a leaf change, this morning certainly will get the attention of some trees.  I know that the Norway maples spread all over the woods here are usually the last to color up though, but I have seen locusts around the area that have lots of tendrils of yellow leaves.

We usually had our "first big drop" of leaves around here just before Halloween, with a 2nd drop sometime in mid-November, and whatever is left by the end of November (the city would wait until about the 1st week of December to vacuum up the leaves in certain neighborhoods - notably here - around that time).  I think it is supposed to warm up a bit the rest of the week though.

Chilliest morning of the season so far here across Chester County with low temperatures ranging from the mid-30's in lower spots of the county below 500ft above sea level (ASL) to the lower 40's in most spots over 600 ft ASL. Here in East Nantmeal Township our low so far this AM has been 42.6 - chilliest since the 41.7 on May 13th. Today we warm to near normal in the mid 60's to temps rising into the low 70's both tomorrow and Thursday. We then start another sharp cooling trend for the weekend and the start of the new work week by next Monday with highs at that time struggling to make the low to mid 50's across much of the county. image.png.5316d92159d41248ca726c473bb82d36.png

Lows this morning ranged from the upper 40's in valley locations to the low 50's on the higher ridges. Today and tomorrow should both reach the low 70's across Chester County before a turn to cooler again starting Friday. Temps look to stay in the 50's for high temps starting on Saturday through next Wednesday. Dry weather until shower chances start to increase on Sunday night. image.png.c46c5c0ba828539e7d9f0b83aa52d44a.png

I do not know about the others in this Philly region, but the LV stands a real good chance of having the latest frost ever recorded this year. I see no sub 36 degree temps so far through Nov 6. The latest frost date is Nov 13. Now that is record to beat.

These overnight low temps with the high dewpoints and excessive cloud cover has led to the warmest avg overnight lows I could ever remember in 30 years I have been living here and especially in the last 4-6 months. Its like summer does not want to die. I had the ac on until last week. The same crap is now upon us for the fall season but slightly cooler daytime highs with overnight lows struggling to reach 40 degrees with again cloudy days and nights and high dewpoints. I want  these dam bugs dead now with a 28 degree freeze. I may not see that until mid- November at the earliest.

• Weenie 1

Ended up with a high of 74 yesterday and a low of 58 this morning.  When I was out driving around yesterday, I did notice some of the sugar maples starting to color up but not much leaf drop yet.  Often we get some kind of windy nor'easter that helps with leaf abscission for the first drop.  Seems the season quarters have shifted where we have the extension of "late summer" into Sep-Oct-Nov and the extension of "late winter" into Mar-Apr-May. 

Some of this could be La Nina too...

Currently 64, with dp 51 and mostly sunny with a few cumulus here and there (more sun so far than progged).  The first (weak) cold front has come through barely noticed but the 2nd is supposed to bring the cooler air.

Finally felt confident enough to wrap up the AC for the season...about a month later than I used to.

It was odd being out last evening after 8pm in shorts and a t-shirt. Sure didn't feel like 10/21. I know it never works out this way, but my inner weenie is hoping we're using up the warm pattern now before winter sets in. (But yeah, not seeing any positive signs/outlooks so far.)

64F/DP 51F

• Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Dismal leaf color display in my neck of the woods with barely any color and lots of gray or brown leaves dropping. Must be the heat. 

Yeah I noticed the oaks look awful, sortof brown and crispy  And after almost 11" of rain in July and 8.5" in August, I so far only have 2.30" this month.  Am glad I did get about 1/2" a week ago.

Currently 65 and sunny, with dp 52.

18 hours ago, RedSky said:

Dismal leaf color display in my neck of the woods with barely any color and lots of gray or brown leaves dropping. Must be the heat. 

Same up here. It's the most bland/drab Fall color season I have ever witnessed. Leaves just falling straight off the trees, gray/brown, or extremely muted. Having a 12 degrees above normal October probably affected it...:gun_bandana:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Just had a sun shower here complete with a double rainbow!

1023211554c_copy_3980x3120_copy_3740x2974_copy_3740x2427_copy_902x585.jpg.9d57bb3970f1192de88191e1821156fa.jpg

Nice!!  I had a little shower here (about to get another soon) but forgot to look for a rainbow once the sun came out.

Got 0.03" from the first little batch and another batch looks to be out over Chester County at the moment.

Currently overcast again (after about a half hour of sun previously) and down to 57 with dp up to 53, after an earlier high of 61.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Nice!!  I had a little shower here (about to get another soon) but forgot to look for a rainbow once the sun came out.

Got 0.03" from the first little batch and another batch looks to be out over Chester County at the moment.

Currently overcast again (after about a half hour of sun previously) and down to 57 with dp up to 53, after an earlier high of 61.

That second batch looked vigorous for a bit, but it started dissipating before it got here. Received about 0.10" total from both showers. Sun is coming back out, but no rainbow this time.

29 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

That second batch looked vigorous for a bit, but it started dissipating before it got here. Received about 0.10" total from both showers. Sun is coming back out, but no rainbow this time.

I have the 2nd batch that has come through (still some sprinkles with it) giving me another 0.01" (total 0.04") but also netting me a rainbow when the sun popped out. :thumbsup:

• Like 1