• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Looking at those nearly stationary cells just south and along the MD line. That's been the story of this summer, hasn't it? Hope Ellicott City will be ok. Anyway, I don't see this moving north any time soon though.

Slightly cooler today in the field, mid-eighties and mostly overcast all day made for a much more pleasant day in the hazmat suit compared to the rest of the week. Still waiting for the humidity to taper off. 

image.png.443d5891087a78d549952c289467d2eb.png

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Off-and-on light mist/drizzle here. I still ran the sprinklers this morning to give the grass seed a good drink. It seems to be working, already seeing a few sprouts pop up. (Yes, this is how exciting my life is, I watch grass grow.)

72F/DP 70F

Lol I'll be out there tonight with the fuzz lamp (aka the snow lamp in winter) looking for sprouts. Might be a day early or so but we'll see. Exciting times!

8 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol I'll be out there tonight with the fuzz lamp (aka the snow lamp in winter) looking for sprouts. Might be a day early or so but we'll see. Exciting times!

I tried seeding a spot in my backyard earlier this year, and it sorta kinda took--the previous owners had held a bonfire in that spot right before we closed, grrrr.

Anyhow, if you're familiar with the janitor from Futurama, I always made an effort to use his voice whenever my wife was within earshot: "Mmm hmm, yup. Just a-waterin' muh dirt patch. Mmm hmm, yup."

So yeah, I totally get it you guys. :D

What I DON'T get is how stinkin' warm and humid it still is out there. We're about to be in meteorological AND astronomical fall. This has got to break eventually.

image.thumb.png.fb8c543e4aa550cf9ad92bbb6d5f2549.png

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

I tried seeding a spot in my backyard earlier this year, and it sorta kinda took--the previous owners had held a bonfire in that spot right before we closed, grrrr.

Anyhow, if you're familiar with the janitor from Futurama, I always made an effort to use his voice whenever my wife was within earshot: "Mmm hmm, yup. Just a-waterin' muh dirt patch. Mmm hmm, yup."

What I DON'T get is how stinkin' warm and humid it still is out there. We're about to be in meteorological AND astronomical fall. This has got to break eventually.

Lol, yup. As far as warm and humid goes, yup to that too. Just started prepping another area and my shirt is partially wet so far. Really not too bad though, at least it's not in the 80's. I've pretty much come to expect this kind of weather in September, but it would be nice if October had a boatload of days in the 60s.

Had a low of 70 this morning and a high of 77, with some scattered rain that netted 0.03" so far.

It's currently 74 and mostly cloudy, with dp 70 and a newly minted TS Odette sitting right off the coast!

WTNT35 KNHC 172036
TCPAT5

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Odette Advisory Number   1
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL152021
500 PM EDT Fri Sep 17 2021

...TROPICAL STORM ODETTE FORMS OFF THE U.S. MID-ATLANTIC COAST...
...FORECAST TO BECOME POST-TROPICAL BY SATURDAY NIGHT SOUTH OF
ATLANTIC CANADA...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...36.7N 71.8W
ABOUT 225 MI...365 KM SE OF CAPE MAY NEW JERSEY
ABOUT 325 MI...525 KM SSW OF NANTUCKET MASSACHUSETTS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 45 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1010 MB...29.83 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
There are no coastal watches or warnings in effect.

Please refer to products issued by Environment Canada for Odette's 
potential impacts to Newfoundland as a post-tropical cyclone.

DISCUSSION AND OUTLOOK
----------------------
At 500 PM EDT (2100 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Odette was
located near latitude 36.7 North, longitude 71.8 West.  Odette is
moving toward the northeast near 15 mph (24 km/h), and this  
general motion is expected to continue into tonight.  A turn toward 
the east-northeast with an increase in forward speed is expected to 
begin on Saturday and continue through Monday.  On the forecast 
track, the center of Odette will move away from the U.S. 
Mid-Atlantic coast and pass south of Atlantic Canada over the 
weekend.

Maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph (65 km/h) with higher gusts.
Strengthening is forecast during the next couple of days, and 
Odette is expected to become a strong post-tropical low by Saturday 
night.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 115 miles (185 km)
to the north of the center.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 1010 mb (29.83 inches).

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
SURF:  Swells generated by Odette are affecting portions of
the United States Mid-Atlantic coast and are expected to spread
northward to portions of the U.S. Northeast and Atlantic Canada
coasts during the weekend.  These swells are likely to cause
life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.  Please consult
products from your local weather office.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
Next complete advisory at 1100 PM EDT.

$$
Forecaster Berg

COD-GOES-East-regional-eastcoast.truecolor.20210917.213619-over=map-bars-09172021.gif

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Looks like a cold front comes through on the first day of Fall then we settle into a low-mid 70s pattern w/lower DPs...

72F / DP 69F

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedSky said:

My non weather related comment - La Palma has begun erupting 

Well after being declared DOA, Odette has awoken again and NHC thinks it may become subtropical or even tropical, and head over that way to take a look.  There's a large expanse of ocean between them... but... :lol:

two_atl_0d0-148pm-alive-again-09192021.png

13 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The #1 disaster scenario with La Palma would send a tidal wave to Delaware Ave. in Philly so keep an eye on the surf...

The eruption looks like it's growing larger by the minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQaldXbtE08

Talking too fast and I have no clue what they're saying. This is just live action:

45 minutes ago, RedSky said:

The #1 disaster scenario with La Palma would send a tidal wave to Delaware Ave. in Philly so keep an eye on the surf...

The eruption looks like it's growing larger by the minute

There was speculation in an article a couple days ago of possible landslide collapse into the ocean of one side of the island near the volcano (due  to the eruption and all the earthquakes the proceeded it, as well as those still going on) and that possibly causing a large tidal wave - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/canary-islands-volcano-could-eruption-cause-landslide-and-mega-tsunami/MEAOBU6BPNYO7QPCIWCNOHVU7A/

But then the "disaster scenario" was apparently pooh-poohed based on some later studies.

Here's an interesting explanation about it though from 4 years ago -

Currently 76 with dp way down to an amazing 49.  I did have to go out and water because despite some 11" of rain last month, and except for a few hundredths of an inch the past couple days, I haven't had a solid rain since around September 9th.