Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

3 minutes ago, Newman said:

Quite a few damage reports from Berks county. Trees and power lines down across much of west central Berks

I feel like the more I watch and learn about the weather the less I understand it. Boy howdy have I been riding high on the initial Dunning-Kruger curve, but for like, 10 years now. This for sure looked like it would fizzle out given what I thought I knew about daytime heating and recent past events that have struggled to maintain order after rafting over the Appalachians. Instead what happened was that it intensified after dark. So what didn't I take into account for this time? Jetstreak? It spans the whole eastern seaboard, so where would the right entrance region be? Oh wait. I think I might have just answered my own question.

Anyhow, apologies for the stream of consciousness. Interesting little event. Looking forward to the breakdown from those more weather-wise than I.

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

I feel like the more I watch and learn about the weather the less I understand it. Boy howdy have I been riding high on the initial Dunning-Kruger curve, but for like, 10 years now. This for sure looked like it would fizzle out given what I thought I knew about daytime heating and recent past events that have struggled to maintain order after rafting over the Appalachians. Instead what happened was that it intensified after dark. So what didn't I take into account for this time? Jetstreak? It spans the whole eastern seaboard, so where would the right entrance region be? Oh wait. I think I might have just answered my own question.

Anyhow, apologies for the stream of consciousness. Interesting little event. Looking forward to the breakdown from those more weather-wise than I.

I think one thing to keep in mind is the time of year.  This is literally when both the ground and (large body) water temps are at their warmest.  So although there might be less daylight hours to produce heat higher up, the night time ground radiation into the air of that stored heat, could help fuel those night/early morning storms.

The band sortof broke up as it got here and the rain that I have received only started sometime after 2 am, and had been on and off through about 6:30 am.  Am currently misty and have 0.25" from it (so far) with temp of 66 and dp 66 with the frontal passage.

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

The front has hit the brakes and back building to the SW 

Lehigh Valley has 2-4.80" with more to come, flood verify

After I moved away, the Lehigh Valley became quite the storm magnet. When I lived there prior to 1996, not so much.

Maybe I'm a storm deflector...lol

• Weenie 1

The 66 ended up being my low this morning and 74 was my high.  I also got a few more hundredths of an inch of rain and stand at 0.40" for the day (so far).  That little line was holding together pretty good until it started approaching the city and has really broken up now, so not sure what will be left once it reaches here (if it ever does).

Currently 71 and mostly cloudy with dp 66.

4 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Decent little line of storms approaching from the west. Nothing like last night, but I wasn't expecting anything at all today. You can kinda see them bubbling up to my NW in this pic:

image.png.49b2b114e43073c7e7b3c96d3b813764.png

Yeah, that line pretty much fell apart for my area. Looked decent for a bit.

69F / DP 65F

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Fell apart right over me, which is what I'm accustomed to these types of storms doing. Lol.

Cool outside. Windows have been open all day here. Going to be nice sleeping weather for a change. :)

image.png.ddae26cf896ee6c6ca2206e5f530a16a.png

Cooled off really well here. DP's in the 50s which is always good for sleeping. Oddly enough critters weren't really out tonight...maybe all the rain lately, I don't know.

57.jpg

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Cooled off really well here. DP's in the 50s which is always good for sleeping. Oddly enough critters weren't really out tonight...maybe all the rain lately, I don't know.

57.jpg

As the temps start to drop, the critters become less active and if the temps go below 60, many actually go into a torpor and hibernate. 

Didn't get any more precip yesterday so the 0.40" was it. Currently 60 with dp 58. I expect I'll probably drop a little lower this morning as a low although I'm not completely decoupled and am getting a few puffs of wind.

10 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

57.jpg

Had a single lightning bug carrying on last night out front, those guys have pretty much packed it in. Heard plenty of Katydids early, but they did quiet down (and slow the cadence down) as the night wore on. Made it down to 59 here, currently 69 with dp 54.