• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

The first of the antecedent Ida rain is hitting here (started just before 4:30 am) and am up to 0.02" so far.  

Ended up with 11.02" of rain for the month of August, 20.70" of rain and 32 days at or above 90 for the meteorological summer (JJA).

High for yesterday was 85 and I'm currently at 70 with light rain and dp 68.

.2" in the bucket thus far this morning. Beef stew going in the crockpot for tonight's dinner in celebration of it not being August anymore. :) FWIW, we had 34 days at or above 90°F for JJA according to my PWS. 7.56" for August and 15.39" total. Collected a lot of useful data; maybe later today or this weekend I'll put together another temp/DP comparison for different stations around our region.

image.png.b36ddf7c8e5d57502e6c52508c4e60c9.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

.2" in the bucket thus far this morning. Beef stew going in the crockpot for tonight's dinner in celebration of it not being August anymore. :) FWIW, we had 34 days at or above 90°F for JJA according to my PWS. 7.56" for August and 15.39" total. Collected a lot of useful data; maybe later today or this weekend I'll put together another temp/DP comparison for different stations around our region.

image.png.b36ddf7c8e5d57502e6c52508c4e60c9.png

I can smell that stew all the way down here! :lol:

Some holes opening in the precip field near me so the rain has stopped for the moment but am at 0.56" so far this morning with temp now down to 68 (so far my low for the day) and dp 68.

Temp down to 67 here. Lovely way to start September. I read that Blue Marsh has been lowering the reservoir to help alleviate flooding; I live near the Skook and I'm thinking about taking a drive to see how it's looking. We've only received about an inch though so shouldn't be too bad. In other news, @Hurricane Agnes, the stew is making the house smell crazy good right now. :)

image.png.dcc2cc567a70656feac53a8e5a9eb773.png

Thankfully the next week or so looks mostly dry. Maybe a chance of showers on Sun/Mon and then again on Thursday but no widespread heavy precip on either of those days. Unfortunately, it looks like the ridge builds back in around mid month and the warm/wet pattern may pick back up. As we just now are entering peak Tropical season, I won't be surprised at all if Ida isn't the last tropical event that we see this year. The long range of the GFS and Euro both show multiple tropical systems brewing. 

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Thankfully the next week or so looks mostly dry. Maybe a chance of showers on Sun/Mon and then again on Thursday but no widespread heavy precip on either of those days. Unfortunately, it looks like the ridge builds back in around mid month and the warm/wet pattern may pick back up. As we just now are entering peak Tropical season, I won't be surprised at all if Ida isn't the last tropical event that we see this year. The long range of the GFS and Euro both show multiple tropical systems brewing. 

Ha!  I had looked at the the runs of the 18z GFS and I think the 12z Euro yesterday and saw Larry show up in this hemisphere on the last couple panels out to around 144 hrs + at the time.  :lol:

I'm watching that guy in case it doesn't become a fish storm after crashing into (or looping around) Bermuda.

I actually had a low of 56 this morning and it's currently mostly sunny, with some recent puffy cumulus appearing, and 71 with dp 56.

Other than RadarScope, what other radar apps or programs do y'all recommend, especially for something like base velocity maps, correlation coefficient, etc? I know the weather.cod.edu site offers those for free, but the radar gridding is too coarse and is not valuable 

• Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, Newman said:

Other than RadarScope, what other radar apps or programs do y'all recommend, especially for something like base velocity maps, correlation coefficient, etc? I know the weather.cod.edu site offers those for free, but the radar gridding is too coarse and is not valuable 

MyRadar is my go to app for phone

While the Philadelphia Airport clocks in with their 11th warmest summer ) June 1 - August 31 - Some Chester County PA Station Summer average temps and the all-time summer rank (years of station history) - none recorded anything close to a top 10 summer

ChescoWx - 73.0 - 40th warmest since 1894

Glenmoore - 73.3 - 38th warmest since 1956

Phoenixville - 74.5 - 31st warmest since 1893

The next chance for storms will be Wednesday with an approaching cold front.

Will need to watch this period
both for severe and flooding potential, as the GFS/CMC QPF would
suggest localized 1-2 inch totals are possible (despite modest PWs,
at least compared to what we have seen recently), and the progged
CAPE-shear parameter space is favorable for some strong to severe
storms along the front.

1 hour ago, Newman said:

@Hurricane Agneshas all the cool toys and seems well-versed in their operation. I think she uses some of the GRLevelX products http://www.grlevelx.com/ 

I'd like to get into some of that but just haven't found the time and it does appear to be a bit pricey.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

@Hurricane Agneshas all the cool toys and seems well-versed in their operation. I think she uses some of the GRLevelX products http://www.grlevelx.com/ 

I'd like to get into some of that but just haven't found the time and it does appear to be a bit pricey.

I wish I were "well-versed" in those programs! :lol:  There is so much in them, so am still trying to get a handle on them.

As an obs, the high deck of cirrus did eventually clear out yesterday and I managed to get up to 77 as a high and the weather was about as perfect as you could get - not humid but comfortable and warm.

There was some low-hanging stratus earlier this morning but that seems to have lifted, and it's currently clear and 64 (will see if that is my low or it will drop down any more before sunrise), with dp 62.

• Like 1