• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
IDA remnants OBS-nowcasts (storm total rain and/or unusual flooding, wind damage-power outage, gusts ~45+ MPH) Wed-Thu morning Sept 1-2, 2021

wdrag

4 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

All we have to do is never buy what they are selling anymore.  No fossil fuels, plastics, etc and they go out of business. Easy!

Yeah I've transitioned to electric for the most part.  Plastics are the garbage that's littering our oceans.  Earth is quickly turning into one huge garbage dump- no wonder the ultrarich want to leave the planet lol.

6 hours ago, rclab said:

Good evening Liberty. You are helping me by giving my last few brain cells a workout today. I agree with your passion. I do, however believe that your stated desire is more figurative. You have already wielded the most powerful weapon available ‘information’ it, when truthful, deals more damage than the torch. If the the Times, a paper I no longer admire, put this out as strict information then they did the right thing as they should always do. As a young firebrand ( no pun intended, Liberty, ) I believed that any CEO whose actions caused a company to fail at the loss of the livelihood of many should  be hung publicly on gallows erected on either side of the NYC Park Ave green spaces. I believed these monsters deserved not a golden parachute but instead a golden noose. Now I’ve mellowed so I believe they should be broken down to poverty level, forced to live in a homeless shelter and given training in the fine art of dumpster diving. It seems though all violent actions result in some collateral damage. For this situation the pen and the word are powerful enough. And Liberty, you used them well by bringing it to our attention. Thank you, as always ….

I love the idea of replacing the golden parachute with a golden noose!  Very wise words my friend!  Once they know that they have no soft landing available to them maybe they will make better decisions....

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good evening Don. I had heard/read damned if I can remember ( it’s been that kind of day ) that the trunk portion of the Rockefeller Center tree was preserved and given for use in pastoral settings. Is it possible that the tree trunk in the last picture was from one of the Centers trees?

I am not sure. There has never been anything about the history of what had been a bench on a path that lay above the Bronx River. Moreover, there are numerous wooden benches just like that trunk portion in various parts of the Garden.

I’m sorry that I don’t know more.

29 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I am not sure. There has never been anything about the history of what had been a bench on a path that lay above the Bronx River. Moreover, there are numerous wooden benches just like that trunk portion in various parts of the Garden.

I’m sorry that I don’t know more.

No Don you were fine the problem is me. Years ago, as I finally remembered, I purchased a pictorial book on the history of the Center tree,   There was even a conservation period where the tree was kept alive with a preserved root ball. One of the photos showed the trunk of one used in a pastoral scene. I’ll check my still real library to see if I can find it. Thank you for your prompt reply. As always …

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah I've transitioned to electric for the most part.  Plastics are the garbage that's littering our oceans.  Earth is quickly turning into one huge garbage dump- no wonder the ultrarich want to leave the planet lol.

Their leaving might actually might be the first step needed to fix it. As always ….

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rclab said:

Their leaving might actually might be the first step needed to fix it. As always ….

Indeed!  I loved Uncles seesaw idea of moving back and forth between the Earth and Mars.  Someone should write a story about that......

Did you know that there's a star system not that far away (relatively speaking of course), that might have 7 habitable planets?  Could you imagine what it would be like if life developed independently on even just 2 of those worlds?  Or even more remarkably if life developed on just one of those planets but was spread to the others via meteoric impacts?  Considering how much fighting we have between different countries, consider how much worse the fighting would be between different worlds.  Then again maybe they would have all learned to get along early on so they would avoid violence.

This is the system I'm talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST-1

It is about 40 light-years (12 pc) from the Sun in the constellation Aquarius.[14][15] Seven temperate terrestrial planets have been detected orbiting it, more than any other planetary system except Kepler-90.[16][17] A study released in May 2017 suggests that the stability of the system is not particularly surprising if one considers how the planets migrated to their present orbits through a protoplanetary disk.[18][19]

A team of Belgian astronomers first discovered three Earth-sized planets orbiting the star in 2015. A team led by Michaël Gillon at the University of Liège in Belgium detected the planets using transit photometry with the Transiting Planets and Planetesimals Small Telescope (TRAPPIST) at the La Silla Observatory in Chile and the Observatoire de l'Oukaïmeden in Morocco.[20][13][21] On 22 February 2017, astronomers announced four such additional exoplanets. This work used the Spitzer Space Telescope and the Very Large Telescope at Paranal, amongst others, and brought the total of planets to seven, of which at least three (e, f, and g) are considered to be within its habitable zone.[13][22][23] All could be habitable as they may have liquid water somewhere on their surface.[24][25][26] Depending on definition, up to six could be in the optimistic habitable zone (c, d, e, f, g, and h), with estimated equilibrium temperatures of 170 to 330 K (−103 to 57 °C; −154 to 134 °F).[7] In November 2018, researchers determined that planet e is the most likely Earth-like ocean world and "would be an excellent choice for further study with habitability in mind."[27]

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Indeed!  I loved Uncles seesaw idea of moving back and forth between the Earth and Mars.  Someone should write a story about that......

Did you know that there's a star system not that far away (relatively speaking of course), that might have 7 habitable planets?  Could you imagine what it would be like if life developed independently on even just 2 of those worlds?  Or even more remarkably if life developed on just one of those planets but was spread to the others via meteoric impacts?  Considering how much fighting we have between different countries, consider how much worse the fighting would be between different worlds.  Then again maybe they would have all learned to get along early on so they would avoid violence.

This is the system I'm talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAPPIST-1

It is about 40 light-years (12 pc) from the Sun in the constellation Aquarius.[14][15] Seven temperate terrestrial planets have been detected orbiting it, more than any other planetary system except Kepler-90.[16][17] A study released in May 2017 suggests that the stability of the system is not particularly surprising if one considers how the planets migrated to their present orbits through a protoplanetary disk.[18][19]

A team of Belgian astronomers first discovered three Earth-sized planets orbiting the star in 2015. A team led by Michaël Gillon at the University of Liège in Belgium detected the planets using transit photometry with the Transiting Planets and Planetesimals Small Telescope (TRAPPIST) at the La Silla Observatory in Chile and the Observatoire de l'Oukaïmeden in Morocco.[20][13][21] On 22 February 2017, astronomers announced four such additional exoplanets. This work used the Spitzer Space Telescope and the Very Large Telescope at Paranal, amongst others, and brought the total of planets to seven, of which at least three (e, f, and g) are considered to be within its habitable zone.[13][22][23] All could be habitable as they may have liquid water somewhere on their surface.[24][25][26] Depending on definition, up to six could be in the optimistic habitable zone (c, d, e, f, g, and h), with estimated equilibrium temperatures of 170 to 330 K (−103 to 57 °C; −154 to 134 °F).[7] In November 2018, researchers determined that planet e is the most likely Earth-like ocean world and "would be an excellent choice for further study with habitability in mind."[27]

Good morning Liberty and thank you again for kicking my between the ears into first gear. I’ve always been fascinated by existence/life beyond what we know. We will always be constrained by Alberts, described, breaks of relativity unless we can discover  how black hole rotation can do it. Or perhaps we can find, on Mars, Prothean artifacts that will give us the technology to develop mass relays. ( thank you PS4/XBOX ). If you embrace the faith/spiritual you may see the constraints as a necessary intelligently designed playpen until such time as we are matured enough to mix/contribute. if you espouse secular science and continuously seek prove/disprove you may see our existence as a proof that sentience pushes you forward at the expense/destruction of our own source. I have to find and re-read Uncles idea now. Now I’m waiting for my penance to start working. If it’s too slow I’ll start reading the news. Thank you again. As always …..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good morning Liberty and thank you again for kicking my between the ears into first gear. I’ve always been fascinated by existence/life beyond what we know. We will always be constrained by Alberts, described, breaks of relativity unless we can discover  how black hole rotation can do it. Or perhaps we can find, on Mars, Prothean artifacts that will give us the technology to develop mass relays. ( thank you PS4/XBOX ). If you embrace the faith/spiritual you may see the constraints as a necessary intelligently designed playpen until such time as we are matured enough to mix/contribute. if you espouse secular science and continuously seek prove/disprove you may see our existence as a proof that sentience pushes you forward at the expense/destruction of our own source. I have to find and re-read Uncles idea now. Now I’m waiting for my penance to start working. If it’s too slow I’ll start reading the news. Thank you again. As always …..

I personally think that faith and science compliment each other. For this reason, I have great respect for the Jesuits. But, I am very pessimistic about our ability to venture out into the universe in any big way for the foreseeable future. I want to--I've read so much classic scifi--but there are so many horrific problems to solve for humans to be able to live in space or on a planet like Mars. It's probably easier for us to "solve" climate change than it is to make Mars work.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 6:32 PM, donsutherland1 said:

Some photos from the New York Botanical Garden following major flooding along the Bronx River. The River is filled with mud. A large amount of sand was deposited along its banks. A large bench was ripped from its foundation along a path that is still closed to the public.

image.png.d240eee3150862f1d50660b5ecaa126d.png

image.png.d0d99d0a9c2016dc7b3f275e409b1cf7.png

image.png.6ac02bb96eda37df8801ed997ff8c229.png

image.png.88627f1e7d9ca4fd0c4f57204eb59f03.png

image.png.b950faee051ad613dff3f159b2c8a7f0.png

image.png.5576b47916a1f9a15266c33766e747d9.png

Good evening Don. The images below are from the book I mentioned. The late Willard Scott wrote the foreword. The second photo is of the centers 1996 tree trunk which was donated to a horse trials facility in Gladstone NJ. The third photo is of two 30’ and a 50’ tree erected with their root ball in 1942. They were Norway Spruces and were replanted after the holiday. No trees were lit during the war due to blackout. I wish that live tree replanting had become part of the tradition. Their is no indication of a trunk being donated to the NYC Botanical Garden. As always …

4FBD9F13-AB46-4396-BBC2-A9EA93D63337.jpeg

22614286-B121-4FCE-97CF-6BD3ED3C4E36.jpeg

D9DBD9B7-E20D-4183-A46E-8557845D7F0E.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good evening Don. The images below are from the book I mentioned. The late Willard Scott wrote the foreword. The second photo is of the centers 1996 tree trunk which was donated to a horse trials facility in Gladstone NJ. The third photo is of two 30’ and a 50’ trees erected with their root ball in 1942. They were Norway Spruces and were replanted after the holiday. No trees were lit during the war due to blackout. I wish that live tree replanting had become part of the tradition. Their is no indication of a trunk being donated to the NYC Botanical Garden. As always …

4FBD9F13-AB46-4396-BBC2-A9EA93D63337.jpeg

22614286-B121-4FCE-97CF-6BD3ED3C4E36.jpeg

D9DBD9B7-E20D-4183-A46E-8557845D7F0E.jpeg

Thanks for this interesting update.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Revised list of 1.50” hourly rainfall in NYC:

image.jpeg.5d3a75e4d1d6c63f36cf4e38f180e3cc.jpeg

hey Don when did NYC start measuring hourly rainfall? I thought it was 1943 for hourly rainfall and 1868 for daily rainfall? Thats what some sites mention anyway.  Has it just been a continuous hourly record of rainfall since 1943?

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

hey Don when did NYC start measuring hourly rainfall? I thought it was 1943 for hourly rainfall and 1868 for daily rainfall? Thats what some sites mention anyway.  Has it just been a continuous hourly record of rainfall since 1943?

1943 on a regular basis, but physical records go back as far as 1889, with a few missing months. Daily records go back to 1869.

• Thanks 1